Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

How can you be so into good food, and wine, but not like Jazz?!?! That does not even make any sense!

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma shrouded in a puzzle. Take your privilege elsewhere, Mr. Man, as I don't have to conform.

IDK, it's just something I never really took a liking too. I guess ambient/chill/trip hop is my jazz.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can relate. I felt like jazz was forced on me in college with horrible 70's and late 60's styles. I hated it. I wanted blues and rock. It wasn't until I began pursuing a quality HIFI system that the cool mostly acoustic style of mid 50's and very early 60's jazz really started to appeal. I loved being able to hear the sound of the strings on a standup bass hit the neck or the acoustic tone of a hollowbody jazz guitar as they played classics and standards. Pair that with vintage Billy Holiday style singer or 50's Blue Note recordings and I began to enjoy it. Fortunately, there were a lot of these original "cats" still gigging around NYC in small smoky clubs at the time and I could catch them up close and live. So, I became hooked.

There is a lot of awful jazz out there. Perhaps you just need a friend to introduce you to some good stuff that is in sync with your own personal style.

4. Piobaire

Okay, I need to learn a Tool song. 46 and 2? Sober? Lateralus?

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Id work on your ability to handle non-4/4 timing first.

6. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

7. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

How about modes? Can be useful for the ambient stuff you want to do. Pentatonics tend to have a very distinctive flavour (flavor?) unless that is your intention. Some modes are quite exotic for that out-of-this-world feel.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Pio I'll get back to the pedal board shit soon… but come on… you play guitar and don't like jazz? It's the only truly indigenous American art form and my gosh the sheer musicality of well-versed jazz players such as Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Byrd on to Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Liberty Ellman and on and on and on. I love blues and rock don't get me wrong… I will seriously go fucking nuts on some Zeppelin, AC/DC, Jack White jams whatever, but that shit is child's play compared to jazz.

Fuck it makes me sad you don't like jazz…. seriously, jazz is extremely important.

Modes are just variations on the tonic and where the half-steps are placed in relation to the tonic and the key of the piece. Pentatonic scales remove the more difficult to use half-step notes thereby making a scalar set that is almost idiot proof. If you're playing minor blues and using a minor pentatonic it's much more difficult to play a "wrong" note. in relation to theory overall you need to understand the nature of intervals not only in the scale itself but how the scale is used over the changes being played. This is where jazz becomes infinitely more complicated than rock or blues and is closer theory-wise to classical music.

Simple example is that a blue couch looks different in a yellow room than it does in a green room and thus the mode (although it could simply be the dorian, or mixolydian for example is just Fmaj starting on C) its all the same shit just different perspective.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

5/4 counted in subs of 3 and 2… not really that difficult if you can count to three... in Eb minor iirc. Not the most convenient key for sure but fun to play!

10. patrickBOOTH

I agree about the early jazz recordings on a great system. The percussive aspects of it is so awesome.

11. patrickBOOTH

I like the harmonic minor.

Also something to think about, but hard to execute just playing by yourself is how harmony can affect he sound of scales. For example minor pentatonic will sound bluesy, but if you play a fifth with each root note it takes on an asian aspect. This kind of thing becomes very fun when playing with a band.

12. Piobaire

Not my first instrument. Jigs are all in 6/8, slip jigs in 6/9, waltzes 3/4, etc.

13. Piobaire

Played sax for years too...and I'm still not ever going to be a "fan" of jazz. It's not that I dislike it, I just don't like it.

14. otc

otc Senior member

I ordered some schaller strap locks for my strat to replace the corroding/rusting strap hooks that are currently on it.

Looks like the ones that came in are Nickel, not Chrome plated.

Is it worth returning these and tracking down a chrome set to match the rest of the hardware, or is that going too far? Or should I replace all of the hardware with nickel? :devil:

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper