Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

sarcasm aside do you gig? seriously… if you take a pedal board all over god-knows-fuck-all and plug your shit into some outlet in a bar that is probably not even close to being wired to code, your power source is corrupted from the start. I wouldn't even have been able to play in some places if not for the power conditioner. btw… my uncle is a master electrician so I've run these issues by him many times for advice.. I don't claim to be an expert… just my experience and what I've learned from trial and error and was just trying to help out Piob.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

nope. i merely noodle now.

back when i did gig, it was basically the same exact pedals i use now, so maybe 4 or 5 total. 7 if i felt like going crazy. i don't remember if they were noisy or not. wasn't trying to be sarcastic about your system or anything because it needs the care. far cry from a home player using a distortion, a chorus, and a wah.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Kid, I think pics are going to be required here!

I think I'm okay power wise. My house is only a few years old and it was a high quality build so am going to rule out power noise using that Voodoo 2. I think it's the bypass issue for sure. A few of my pedals are true bypass for sure, like my Carbon Copy (did some reading last night) but, and my swapping around confirms this, some like my MXR Chorus are not. It's not a lot of noise (my Vox Valvetronic was louder by itself) but I notice it. I'll make sure all the other pedals I buy are true bypass. I'll also make a point to upgrade to Lava when I'm building my actual pedal board.

Speaking of which I just got the Gorm shelf from Ikea that is apparently the DIY pedal board start of choice. Going to get my maint. department at work to make a mitred frame so it fits in at a nice angle and is very sturdy. Not sure what treatment I'm going from there. Might just spray it black and lay down strips of velcro from the hardware store, might sheath it in carpet that velcro on the bottom of pedals will stick to and cut slits for power/patch to come up...not there yet.

I'm headed to something like this:

[​IMG]

Here's the URL and here's the list:

http://www.andyothling.com/gear/

Found this guy just browsing youtube and been listening to his stuff and reading his pages for a few months.

Edit: This just in...fuck the DIY project. Pedaltrain Pro with soft case.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

4. Piobaire

Question for the real players here:

How much do you use your pentatonic forms? I have three forms nailed up and down the fret board, working on fourth, and will get to the fifth soon. Does it really help your soloing or is this too blues specific?

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's the basis of rock music for the last 60 years. Some players live in them, GIlmour, Page, etc.

6. Piobaire

So basically keep up the drills and finish memorizing the fretboard?

Also, when you're noodling...if you're playing to a rhythm track do you try to hit the root note on the first beat when there's a chord change or is it just nice when that happens?

7. patrickBOOTH

That's a very "jazz" mentality to do that. It works sometimes, but it doesn't always happen in rock music and it isn't really attempted a lot except certain instances where it is meant to sound that way.

8. Piobaire

Jazz = do not want.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

:(

10. Piobaire

Sorry, PSG. It's not that I can't listen to, and don't like some jazz, it's just not what I want to do as a player. I also find a lot of jazz demanding of the listener, like reading Shakespeare is demanding of the reader, and I listen to relax vs. being challenged. It's like listening to Ygnwie play for more than two or three minutes for me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i love jazz on the guitar

12. Piobaire

I just don't love jazz on any instrument. I can only listen to so much of it and certain styles of it. I'm not overly versed in jazz but the only jazz musician I can say I really like is Brubeck. I have a CD I bought in the 80s from Dave and Don Grusin called "Sticks and Stones" which I like too but just don't think I really qualify as a jazz fan.

13. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I only play pentatonic these days. It's awful.

14. patrickBOOTH

You're such a philistine.

15. Piobaire

We are in agreement.