Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

straight as an arrow

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Virtuoso is an excellent cleaner and polish. Plus it is very easy to use and to get good results.

But, if you want to lay on a shine that lasts, rub on two coats of Nu Finish. Really rub it in with a cloth, like an old T shirt. It will provide more of a long-term shine and protective finish.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I recently was given a Voodoo 2 fancy dancy power supply for pedals. Supposed to be quiet power. I get several pedals in a chain, turn them all on...and I'm getting some noise. Not horrendous but certainly noticeable. Should I just expect that with multiple pedals?

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Can anyone play like this?

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

how is it all on battery power?

6. Piobaire

Have not tried that. Have swamped things in and out and such and narrowed things down to the biggest noise adder. It's the MXR Chorus.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

try batteries to start. with only a handful of pedals, batteries, at least IMO, are the easiest and the quietest. 5+ pedals plus some big drinkers like a DL4, and a supply is probably best. also, better patch cables.

8. Piobaire

Yeah, DL4 is on my list but after I get my POG 2.

How much to dump on patch cords? I'm using Planet Wave and I'm pretty sure they're not Lava cords.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

It all depends... and I have a massive pedal board (15 maybe 16 items) with a Voodoo all rigged up that I built from scratch. First, do not use the batteries, that defeats the purpose of the direct power from the Voodoo (although there are two I do use battery but they are pretty special ZVex & Geoffrey Teese). Second, I run mine through a Furman power conditioner before it even gets to the board so that alone makes an extraordinary difference. Third, the patch cables are key as everything you add to the signal chain that isn't shielded or is of low quality makes the whole thing sound like shit and don't use any extra cable… do it made to measure with the Lavas and spend the money if you want it to sound good (no offense gomestar but those patches you listed above are total shite). Last, the MXR (and presumably most of your other pedals) are not true bypass so when they are switched "off" you are still running through the pedal anyway which for me is a deal breaker from the get go. All my pedals are true bypass or have been retro-wired to be true bypass because once you link a bunch of shit up in series it's going to suck signal and attract interference regardless. Hope that helps!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

11. Piobaire

Thanks for the info, Kid. This pedal board is going to be a never ending headache, isn't it?

12. Kid Nickels

I spent a lot of time building mine and trust me… if I hear a crackle or buzz or anything it makes me nuts! It's not easy but worth it once it's running smoothly. I need to snap some pix and put it up when I get a chance. Aside from good patch cables, my strongest rec is the power conditioner. I picked mine up used for about $100 or so and it was the most badass improvement money could buy!

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i run, at most, 3 pedals at a time. mid-range patch cables are totally silent for me.

14. Kid Nickels

No worries in that case it will work fine. My shit is in a custom made flight box wired all f'g crazy with Moogerfoogers, ZVex, Fulltones, Teese, Roger Mayer, Carl Martins, etc. etc. There comes a point when it all must go together in one unit to make the impractical somewhat practical to use. I also worked in a shop in college so I was lucky to have access to all this shit at dealer cost… I wouldn't have quite so many toys otherwise.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

uhhh, yeah, of course you need a system to work for your system with another to help temper the power system that will power your system.

also, pics are cool