1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Gotta love the flippers.

2. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Here's a pic of my Japanese Tele.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is that one of those ones where the guitar is basically wrapped in a film?

4. origenesprit

It

It's a standard Japanese Poly finish. A little thick but the guitar sounds great.

1 person likes this.
  5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very cool, the George Harrison Rosewood Tele

I think the reissues are better than the originals.

6. GusW

George Harrison (1943–2001) of The Beatles received a prototype Rosewood Telecaster as a planned gift from Fender in 1968. Fender selected the better of two prototypes built, flew it to England in its own personal seat along with a courier, and hand-delivered the guitar to Apple offices in December 1968. Harrison used this guitar during The Beatles famous 'Get Back Sessions' as well as on the Beatles' 1970 album Let It Be and 1969's Abbey Road. Of equal notability, Harrison used the rosewood Tele for the Beatles' last public performance in 1969, famously referred to as 'the Rooftop concert'.

In the late 80's there were one or two Rosewood Tele's that showed up in Dallas at guitar shows. Fender only made a few of them in the late 60's but then Fender Japan reissued them in the late 80's and then, of course, Fender USA did some over time. The earliest US ones I saw were just OK but the MIJ seemed quite nice and went for a lot of Yen to Japanese Beatle fans.

7. origenesprit

It's a great guitar, which I think would be better with a nitro clear coat rather than a poly clear coat but it would be a mistake to refinish it, value wise.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know if you saw this or not, but ages ago when I was in high school at the top of the "Napster" craze I had downloaded this video of the rooftop concert and it had all of these extra footage laces through it of the crowd up there. I noticed one of the people in the crowd was Woody Allen. I have tried searching for this video, or at least documentation that he was there, but can't find anything about it. I am guessing it might have been personal video? Do you know anything about it?

I wonder how much the rosewood makes the tele sound different?

9. origenesprit

It's super heavy, and has more meat than your standard tele. Kind of like a Tele-Paul. Still sounds more like a Tele though.

1 person likes this.
  10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I had been wondering if it was one of those Fotoflame or whatever they were called based on the really pronounced grain.

It looks great.

12. origenesprit

Ah, no this is a big piece of rose wood, a thin piece of maple, and then another big piece of rosewood sandwiched together. And then a one piece rosewood neck.

It's actually my only guitar that doesn't get along that well with my Two Rock. It sounds good but it really shines on a more direct amp with less bloom. Perfect on a silverface, but I guess that makes sense since Harrison used his with a silver twin.

Update: Its actually a few pieces of rosewood on top, and a few on the bottom, not just two massive pieces.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  13. DLester

DLester Senior member

I do the exact opposite of this; my neck pickup is as low as I can get it, and the other pickups are set so that they have about the same volume as the neck. I also turn down the bass on the amp when playing the strat. It opens it up a bit. A strat with high pickups will sometimes warble a bit when you play an open low e, which bugs me.

I find that I can get a lot of bite or back it off by just changing the picks I use. A really thick pick with a rounded edge gives a completely different sound (great for jazz) compared with a thinner pick with a sharper edge.

Never played one, but don't they weigh a ton? I thought I read somewhere that George's tele was 12 pounds or something -- that cant be right though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  14. origenesprit

I haven't weighed it, but it is as heavy as a Les Paul.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the neck pickup being low as well. Turning down the bass doesn't make sense to "open it up" as turning down the bass increases resistance limiting frequencies from getting through.

My Les Paul Custom is over 12 pounds.

16. DLester

DLester Senior member

I find that a heavy bass sometimes crowds out some of the tone I want to hear in a strat, but ymmv. I don't put the bass on 1, just not on 10. Maybe 5-7 or so.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  17. origenesprit

JD Simo had a very interesting rig rundown where he talks about how he sets the tone knobs on his Marshall. Worth watching if you're into that stuff.

1 person likes this.
  18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you ruined my completely rational thoughts of "keep the Harmony upstate, it's good to save some room"

19. GusW

I have recently run across one of the more interesting guitar makers in the US. Inspired by Paul Bigsby and his love of Rockabilly, Jazz and Western Swing TK Smith is making some remarkable sounding pickups and guitars. Even if you are into rockabilly there is no denying the wonderful warm tone. Check out his Charlie Christian style PU and his Bigsby style PU's.

http://tksmith.net/

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.