Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Here's what you need to know: if you thought collecting guitars was expensive, think again.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Orig: looks great. What the hell is it and how does it work? :laugh:

Gome: you need to get an audio interface and give it a shot. You can d/l several serious DAWs for free in the Lite version. You can pick up what I did for $150: http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sca..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385938878&sr=8-1&keywords=2i4

You can just use headphones if you don't want to get active monitors although active monitors would probably be useful in a small NYC apartment.

I also bought this for $89 back in September: http://www.amazon.com/ARTURIA-MiniL...id=1385939020&sr=8-1&keywords=arturia+minilab

If I had talent could seriously produce something for distribution with these things and my guitar. Luckily I lack talent. :embar:

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

do you plug your amp directly in there? Have to mic tube amps, there is no direct line out.

4. Piobaire

If you're talking to me you can plug your guitar directly into that audio interface, or you can plug a mic in to mic your amp, so either or.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yes you. tube amps have to be mic'ed. worth the hassle anyways. interesting on the guitar directly to the interface part. your amp might have a direct out line (amp to interface), so check on that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

6. origenesprit

It's four Helios preamps in a box. Helios preamps (well, desk) were used in the Rolling Stones mobile studio.

7. Piobaire

Tube amps need to be mic'ed...if you're using it. My only line out is for headphones but I have a line in that I can plug an iPod or mp3 player into so I can jam to a song. The direct in through the AI is pretty cool.

Do a youtube for Andy Othling. He splits his signal into stereo and one of the amps he mics is a Matchless. He does some of the ambient type stuff I want to do eventually.

So I just finished messing around more with Ableton. I did a 32 bar, 4/4, passage that I looped. Using only the stuff either Ableton or that $90 Arturia Minilab came with I started with 4 bars each of an ambient pad in a 1-3-5, 1-3-5, 1-3-4 loop. I then opened another midi track and opened a bass voice. I did some slow bass accompaniment using the same pattern. Both of these I used the Minilab keyboard. I then plugged my guitar in and did a little noodling.

I did not record the guitar part. When I get a little more accomplished I'll record my first fragment and toss up on one of the various hosting places like bandcamp.com.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I have a JTM45 incoming.

9. Piobaire

You collecting Marshalls now?

10. origenesprit

Another?

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

you're not, so this is what happens.

actually, no. my father has so many Marshalls and Fenders and Boogies that he is cool with deflecting acquisition blame with the JTM we bought 10 or so years ago. We're working out shipping details, and I might switch out the EL84 tubes for some KT's.

i'm going to run it through my 401 speaker. might seek out a reverb pedal to give it a +1

12. origenesprit

Pio - I find that when recording using instruments that haven't been processed by good outboard gear, it pays to over-process in the box, or to layer sounds. For instance, use two different plugin compressors instead of just one to get a thicker tone, and layer different snare samples on top of each other.

Play around.

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I've had pretty realistic results from my old Line6 PODxt. It's my favorite piece of gear to play with - Pod into Garageband is actually really, really good-sounding.

14. Piobaire

Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was doing. For instance, was playing with a pure reverb plug in, then another plug in that included another reverb (along with other stuff). I really like plug ins that let me play with the ADSR envelope. I think much of what I'm trying to do with ambient is going to revolve around the ADSR and reverb.

So after today's session I've formulated a plan. A song is waaayyyy too much to attempt at this point. I'm going to do a 32 bar, 4/4 fragment over the next several weeks. Pad, bass, percussion, me trying to lay some played guitar down into it. Goal is end of January.

15. origenesprit

DAMN YOU, CLAPTON!!!!!

...... tweed champ incoming.