• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i see your local guitar center has a DSL15H. worth a quick look on the way home to get an idea of the tone the DSL series can produce.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i couldn't comment on that just yet as I haven't played one of the AZN DSL's, but my DSL40 (last of the UK DSL's) is built like a ******* tank. It's in great shape even though the previous owner gigged it a ton over the past 12+ years.

The Fender MIJ era stuff was a different beast all together vs. most other "made in China" products, and that's mostly a reflection of where Fender was at the time.

The last clause about Fender is part of what I'm saying. Made in USA or UK does not mean the product is automatically high quality. As we know the MIJ happened because Fender USA could not hammer a 2x4 straight at the time.

However, the negative reviews have me thinking now.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i wouldn't read much into the negative reviews. look for reviews from guitar magazines first.

what I would do (and actually what I did) is sit around tiger style, then pounce on a DSL401 when one pops up. Can be had for the $350-450 mark.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i wouldn't read much into the negative reviews. look for reviews from guitar magazines first.

what I would do (and actually what I did) is sit around tiger style, then pounce on a DSL401 when one pops up. Can be had for the $350-450 mark.

I can get a new DSL40C for $550.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I could have as well. I wanted the 401. when it comes to music stuff, price is never really a consideration for me.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So we've removed price...think the used is better than the new given the model change?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't know enough about the new one in regards to build and circuitry to draw an accurate comparison. My father owned a 401 years ago, and I loved playing that amp, so after some searches I found one pop up for $300 and I grabbed it. I'd imagine that both amps are somewhat similar, the 40C might have another feature or two (power break for starters), but I only run the clean channel so I just needed the headroom that I knew was great on the 401. The 401 is UK made, and if I'm honest that did kind of make a difference for me, but that's illogical.

I believe that on release, the prices of the 401 were in the $700-800 range, and so the cheap labor has the 40C at the lower $500 mark. This is why you'll see a used 401 within shooting range of a new 40C. Prices for the 401 seem pretty stable and I don't expect them to change, while a 40C from the showroom floor will naturally take a hit as soon as you swipe your card.

I think you'd love either the 401 or the 40C, they're both really awesome amps. A 401 would obviously have to be considered used, but that's totally fine.

some early 401's had a minor overheating issue that was resolved after 2003 or so, and the fix was pretty easy should the amp have any problems. Mine is pre-2003, but i haven't noticed any issues, neither did the previous owner. To help keep it that way, I've basically removed the entire back to get some more air circulating back there. It also lets me see the tupes, which is kind of pr0nographic to me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the colder temperatures and my poorly temperature regulated apartment means I'll probably end up with some sweet weather checking come summer, especially on the newly painted strat.

it also means that both the strat and tele are constantly out of tune. since the tele is easier to tune, it's probably what I'll reach for 80% of the time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

PRS are beautiful, generally.

I've owned a handful of PRS guitars (custom 22, 24, McCarty) but ended up parting with all of them. They're beautiful and perfectly crafted instruments. I got a small ding on the custom 24, and I was completely mortified. I couldn't deal with the perfectness.

The other day, the dog was chasing a tennis ball that I was flinging around the apartment, and she knocked down the tele. I didn't give a ****.

jakeypotato

Reaction score
Anyone know any good thumbpicks that doesnt make your thumb turn purple/blue?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Man I find myself wanting to get a new guitar more and more these days. I used to have almost a dozen guitars at one point but I massively downsized my collection and I barely play any more. I am currently oogling this a few times a day:

That is ******* beautiful.

Taylorstav

Reaction score
Just had my 02 LP Standard outfitted with some Jason Lollar pups wound to my spec, along with an electronics overhaul.

New switch, all new vintage wiring, 500k volume 550k tone pots real vintage bees sourced from a 1963 ES-330. All I have to say is....OH MY GOD.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glorious. Still finishing up my own rewiring job. Added push-pulls for out-of-phase, and in-series tone.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently started playing again. Just have my early behringer + starter amp at the moment. Dean v pro is at home (the dimebag model). Looking forward to following this thread!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the colder temperatures and my poorly temperature regulated apartment means I'll probably end up with some sweet weather checking come summer, especially on the newly painted strat.

it also means that both the strat and tele are constantly out of tune. since the tele is easier to tune, it's probably what I'll reach for 80% of the time.

I let the bridge on my strat run free a little while ago (I had previously locked it in place with a block for many many years)...my god I forgot how much of a pain it is to tune this thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads