1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

That's a pretty interesting observation. Taylors are built so that they're easy to play with narrow necks and cutaways (maybe not the model you played).

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

People either hate or love Taylors. They can be too bright for some people.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am too bright for many people.

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, retards.

2 people like this.
  5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I am a bonafide Taylor hater. Here's my acoustic squeeze, Larrivee Pete Anderson model:

Stock image:
    [​IMG]

Actual images of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i don't know what it was. Strings required an awkward amount of pressure to get the note through. Not sure if it was the guitar, the setup, or the strings.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't like that weird set headstock/neck joint thing they got going either.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

and old Martin 15. Would enjoy, at least if it's anything similar to the 15 I played a few years back.

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I wish me a Collings D2H or a Martin D-18 Golden Era [​IMG]

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

When I purchased my acoustic, I played a lot of Martins and Taylors. Only a few Gibsons. Like my Martin D-21 the best. More bass response and "openness" than they Taylors which were brighter and and more tinny. Gibsons sounded dead to me as well -

1 person likes this.
  11. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

In my experience:

Taylors: Sound good in a live mix. Good pickup system. Most people find them easier to play.

Martins: Usually record quite well. Have a fuller sound than some other guitars. More of a traditional sound.

Gibsons: Not the best quality control. Often sound dead to me. Electronics are not the best. If you can find a good one, they can be quite good and are good singer-songwriter guitars.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule. Different models/shapes will produce different results. But in general those rules apply to those brands more often than not.

Right now I play a Larrivee OM60 model. It was between that guitar and a Martin John Mayer model and the Larrivee sounded scarily similar if not identical. The price different made it a no-brainer. I've owned probably 8-10 higher end acoustics and it's all apples to oranges.

1 person likes this.
  12. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

The big Gibsons are fantastic (J200, Everly Brothers). Nobody makes a jumbo like Gibson. Martin dreadnoughts (and OM, too) are where it's at though for non-jumbo - there's just more complexity in the sound of a Martin vs a J45 or similar.
    Taylors play well and sound ok, but they're brittle in comparison to the others, especially when comparing to vintage models.
    If you have to buy new, don't buy any of these; buy a Lowden.

13. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Do you play live with 5+ people very often?

I'm not saying any brand is superior, I'm just saying that one man's "brittle" might be another man's "cut's through perfectly."

14. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Never had a problem with a 5 piece band cutting through with a Martin (or my Fylde). An all mahogany Martin at that (my friend's, my Martin doesn't have a pickup). If you need more treble or mid to cut through, that's what an EQ on your mixing desk is for.

I see what you mean, but still, live is a totally different animal, and I would never ever buy a guitar that didn't sound good acoustically just because I thought it would cut through better. Besides, acoustics that run through pickups don't really sound like acoustics, and the added treble needed to cut through is part of the problem. Necessary evil.

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I play in a band with a keyboard, piano, bass guitar, electric guitar, drum, and vocals. My maple guitar cuts thru perfectly.

16. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

That's really the problem though. My one gripe with my Larrivee (and some Martin's I've had) is that there's this nagging boominess in the lower register when plugged in live. And I don't know about you, but I very rarely have a sound guy at my shows who knows jack about EQ. So "cutting the lows at the board" isn't always an option. Luckily I do a lot of solo stuff now when I play out, so the extra low end isn't a total killer like it is in the band mix.

Also, not all taylors are tinny. I had a GS model made out of KOA a few years ago that I gigged with a band. It was very full in the low end but had a great onboard EQ that was quite responsive when I needed to cut it.

In my experience, Martin's mic exceptionally well in the studio but certain models I've had in the past had poor EQ systems that left me high and dry when playing live. Damn sound guys. I've heard the higher end Martin's of late have upgraded systems.

17. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Man, how have I missed this thread for sooo long??

18. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I have played so many shitty gibson acoustics, however one of the best acoustics I've ever played was also a gibson. Bad quality control, I guess. When they get it right, it's pretty incredible, though.

I think more people should invest the ~$100 to have their guitars set up every so often...

19. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored