Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

that is not the reason for buying a Strat or a Tele. But it must be done anyways.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

oh man. either a '57 or a '62 reissue from the Japanese in the mid '80's.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Reasons please.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I bought one and I wish I bought five. enough?

my one "regret" non-purchase was a beat to shit shell pink Japanese strat that was $300. This was in 2004. I was talking to my father the other day, and he said the exact same thing about that guitar.

5. Piobaire

These kids are nailing it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

7. Piobaire

Ugh? I think that kid drumming has real talent.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

@Piob - These are some early, self-produced videos of my friends' band. The guitarist is probably the best I've seen that isn't a pro already, and he's only 21 now - these were made when he was still 17-18. Not "atmospheric" per se, but pretty impressive all the same and in that vein. [VIDEO][/VIDEO] This is one of their songs - [VIDEO][/VIDEO] And this is how he would have preferred the guitar to sound on the track. Pretty much just a DD-6, EQ, and a wah.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i'll elaborate more. basically, the "reissues" that came out of Japan were really awesome. the production in Japan was intended to be "cheap" labor (in the 80's) for a cheaper guitar to sell, but the quality was really superb and basically rivaled that of the pricey US-made reissues. they also age really well. as a result, people took notice and they started to creep up in price, going from $200 to $500 now $1,000. If you can get past your weird "only new" preference, a really awesome axe can be had.

this is the tele custom that my father found and picked up for $300. I love it. the tele that I keep in NYC is from the fender custom shop and was over $4K and it's great, too. if I wasn't so connected to the custom shop that I acquired in high school and have played ever since, I'd happily swap it for the MIJ, and that's saying something.

[​IMG]

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

oh, a few weeks ago, I popped the neck on my custom shop strat and tele, and noticed this fun fact on the dates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Piobaire

If I have in depth knowledge on something I'm not afraid of used....er, vintage. Having sold cars for a living I can tell you the used market, for people with a lack of in depth knowledge, is where the real cheddar is. I figure this translates to any heavily traded item such as guitars. You have all these reasons why this and that Strat is great value, that one is a MIM (just came across that one a few weeks ago) and not so much, etc. New I can judge against all other new guitars with similar features, used I am shooting as blind as that guy that bought the stripped down Fiero from me at three times its value.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

unlike cars, the new stuff is far from the best stuff made from manufacturers, Fender and Gibson alike.

don't worry, i already troll your town's craigslist for guitars, amps, and stomp boxes. Local music stores, however dwindling in quantity they are, often have the real cheesecake due to trade ins.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

13. Piobaire

You know the overpriced crap showing up then. The closest I've come to buying off that was an Ibanez bass for $100 just so I have a bass I could plug into my computer and lay down a simple bass track if I wanted to. Did not get it though as new was $200 and it was going for $125. For $75 more I'll go new.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

ah, but patience is a virtue. it's how i scooped up my DSL401 for $300 and a WH10v2 and a CH-1 for $50 total.

15. Piobaire

Patience with in depth knowledge. I'm not kidding myself about the second.