• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strackaline seems to be the benchmark. GolfLogix gives you 60-80% of Strackaline for 30% of the price...
For anyone else who was interested in this Q - I ordered PuttView for my home course to test it out and see what I got and accuracy. Seems like a decent option for the price.
0492BA08-1AC7-4EE8-841F-D12FD7D6F50E.jpeg
D4EC7725-9CEE-4ED6-A869-AF6D464C6FAC.jpeg

Kwaker

Reaction score
Returning to the game now that the kids are a bit older.
Decided to keep my sticks (JPX 825 Pro and 910 woods), but have replaced my leather-soled cleats with synthetics.
Right now, I’m cleaning up my Footjoy Classics for the bay. There seems to be a small market for used traditional golf shoes.
The Brooks Brothers spectators are by Alden. They never got into the rotation (too pretty) and they will be sold also.

Are any of you still wearing leather-soled golf shoes)?
FB3BC47A-74AB-45EC-B54A-193125AF774C.jpeg

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returning to the game now that the kids are a bit older.
Decided to keep my sticks (JPX 825 Pro and 910 woods), but have replaced my leather-soled cleats with synthetics.
Right now, I’m cleaning up my Footjoy Classics for the bay. There seems to a small market for used traditional golf shoes.
The Brooks Brothers spectators are by Alden. They never into the rotation and they will be sold also.

Are any of you still wearing leather-soled golf shoes)? View attachment 1632622

I'm sure you'll get a decent price for those on the bay. The Classics have a pretty strong cult following.

I currently don't have any leather souled golf shoes but I am in the market to get some good ones. I reached out to Vass to see if they would do a custom golf sole but unfortunately they do not. I believe Saint Crispin's and Edward Green will do golf soles in MTO so I'm leaning one of these directions at the moment.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. Mainly FJ premiere and Icon for regular wear I keep in my locker and then have a couple pairs of Ecco’s I keep for trips to links style resorts where I know I’ll be walking on hard turf for 54 holes minimum. I added a pair of the G4’s that ended up not being a great fit and don’t get worn and a pair of the Speith’s from UnderArmour and a pair of TRUEs for really hot days.

@reidd Not close to the level of StC or EG but CJ and Cheaney do golf shoes that are regularly on sale at Hammargruppen. There are some cheaneys on sale currently with an extra 30% off if you sign up for their newsletter which I think throws them in the 200ish USD range shipped to the states.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Have any of
DB67B206-2F13-48DE-8536-2E5616EAA898.jpeg
you guys gone spikeless?
I experimented with a pair, but was disappointed at how quickly I rendered them useless (we walked 90% of the time, back in the day).
Sticking with spikes for my comeback.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of View attachment 1632626 you guys gone spikeless?
I experimented with a pair, but was disappointed at how quickly I rendered them useless (we walked 90% of the time, back in the day).
Sticking with spikes for my comeback.

I tried a pair of spikeless FJ Flex and I hated them. Definitely noticed lack of grip. The Flex model was really ****** overall as well. I got a pair of the new FJ Premier's and they've been pretty good. Obviously way behind the quality of the old American made Classics but the styling is good.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spikes > spikeless. The G/Fore’s I have are spikeless and have the most aggressive spikeless pattern that I tried and actually were more aggressive than the spikes I use but only got like 3 rounds on them before giving up on the fit so no idea about longevity. The Ecco spikeless wave deal is useless on anything other than super dry, super hard links turf. The TRUEs are really minimal as well but the open weave makes it an acceptable compromise for super hot days. I’ve thought about adding some aftermarket spikes.
C55BDAAE-693A-4A7B-8036-B518CB95A15C.jpeg

E365B2C4-4D54-4448-9373-1F76DD56599C.jpeg

Kwaker

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
I wasn’t sure how much spikeless technology has advanced over the decades … doesn’t sound like I missed anything.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth if those G/Fore ones fit better the grip would be outstanding. I remember playing with them the first round and being shocked I was absolutely ripping turf out of the ground.

Schwazer

Reaction score
For what it’s worth if those G/Fore ones fit better the grip would be outstanding. I remember playing with them the first round and being shocked I was absolutely ripping turf out of the ground.

Is it a good thing or not?

Sometimes too much grip can be detrimental to the swing.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a good thing or not?

Sometimes too much grip can be detrimental to the swing.
I like a decent amount of grip and usually pop the spikes out to replace with black widow instead of the flimsier ones that come in them. That said I don’t recall them inhibiting my swing but would put them somewhere between like a pulsar spike and the black widow. Playing a few times today so I’ll try and grab them for twilight 9 with the misses after my regular games.

Kwaker

Reaction score
This is the oldest active member of my bag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 70

Kwaker

Reaction score
I dressed it up with a fancy grip ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 169

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads