• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I was just about to resurrect this thread but you beat me to it. Played nine twice over Memorial day. Only thing to brag on was I shanked my drive on the ninth hole of the second round so I took a mulligan. Crushed the drive (I was mad and wasnt overthinking) about 280 (Im usually a 250 range). 150 left to the hole and I hit a wedge to within 2 feet. Ive never eagled a hole and I dont know how it didnt go in. Although technically it wouldnt have been an eagle thanks to my crappy first swing.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha, I was just about to resurrect this thread but you beat me to it. Played nine twice over Memorial day. Only thing to brag on was I shanked my drive on the ninth hole of the second round so I took a mulligan. Crushed the drive (I was mad and wasnt overthinking) about 280 (Im usually a 250 range). 150 left to the hole and I hit a wedge to within 2 feet. Ive never eagled a hole and I dont know how it didnt go in. Although technically it wouldnt have been an eagle thanks to my crappy first swing.

Ah man. That's the worst. Shanked drive so you take a provisional or have to do a lateral hazard drop, groove it deep into the fairway and end up with only a bogey or par if you play the rest of the hole lights out.

I have a "tournament" this week into Saturday that I'm looking forward to. My partner is a 30 handicap (no joke) and the point system is very lenient toward hackers. So hopefully we can get near the top of the leader board.

TheShoeMaker

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up golf seriously again but now I'm apparently moving to Japan on a short notice and Ive heard its quite difficult to get on a golf course over there. Anyone had any experience playing golf in Japan?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No golf going on?

I actually got nine in over the 4th which was cool because it was only 2 weeks after I had surgery on my thumb. I had the other thumb worked on a week ago so I hope to be full strength in a couple of weeks.

Anyway played the same nine as I did over Memorial day and had some good and bad shots but my highlight came on 9 again. Knowing I shanked the drive the last time I took a nice easy swing and put it comfortably (but short) in the fairway. The hole doglegs left and there was a rather large tree blocking straight to the green. So I joked with my buddy that I was going to slice (fade) it around the tree with a hybrid. I use to have a pretty good slice so I know the mexhanics behind it. I setup with the ball further back and gave it a nice easy swing with a hybrid. It actually worked. My buddy started laughing as he saw it work. We couldnt really see where it ended up but I knew it had to be close to the green. As we started in to the green I saw that I knocked to about 60' of the hole and 2 putted for birdie. Awesome.

Schwazer

Reaction score
No love for the Masters right now?

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there for practice rounds... amazing place

E1CB136A-BFC0-489D-A3DF-A2441BD96BB5.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here we are....live at the..... edinatlanta memorial pro-am invitational my dads birthday tournament.... as you can see in the footage and as is so often the case..... edina is behind his mother.......... and in case you are just joining us here on nbc you just missed him chipping in from 25 yards to save.... on the third hole..... a truly magnificent double bogey.
20200617_162156.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
lots of NYC area courses closed. Might try to hit up a few early tee times at Skyhill.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Masters in November will be very interesting.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
on the topic of clubs, I just buy that **** used now. "used" being operative word because some of the sticks I've bought from CallwayGolfPreowned had merely like a sticker burn on the head that I needed to remove or some ****. My golf instructor was like don't buy new, Callaway sends us pros dozens of iron sets to try each calendar year, and then we just hit one or two on the sim then ship them back and they go on preowned. I actually bought a Mizuno 3er for like $100 new and one single hit I figured well there's that $50 grass stain.

I also bought a Cameron Studio Stainless for $80 from some old guy on Craigslist.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Plenty of 2nd hand clubs online that are in good quality.

Typically every 3-4 years, there may be some marginal gains in performance from clubs (assuming both a fitted).

sftiger

Reaction score
I was planning to get an identical set of clubs to leave at my in-laws so I don't have to travel with mine every time I come here. Looks like a full set of the irons I use are <$200 on eBay, which is wild.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I was planning to get an identical set of clubs to leave at my in-laws so I don't have to travel with mine every time I come here. Looks like a full set of the irons I use are <$200 on eBay, which is wild.
check GlobalGolf too.

I still hit my high school set of Taylor Made Burners irons better than my Titleist AP1s. I think I scored the Tittiest irons for like $350 used after discount codes.

sftiger

Reaction score
I use the AP2s but I suck at golf. Might need to get a more forgiving set.

I've always used blades because all of my clubs have been hand-me-downs from my dad, who always used blades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads