1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

The golf decline is very strange as local clubs with prestige or in wealthy neighborhoods are doing great with waiting lists a mile long and very high initiation fees. Also, some expensive subdivision type courses are opening up in FL and AZ and are selling homes at a good pace.

In contrast, some very nice local private clubs are virtually giving away memberships just to get the monthly dues and food spending revenue. I joined Evergreen CC in Haymarket, VA two years ago because they offered virtually no initiation fee and the course is very nice with one of the best practice areas you will see anywhere.

Cheers,

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Do you ever play Raspberry Falls? Loved that place when I lived in DC.

3. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Yes, many times and it is a great course that tends to fit my game. I still get up there for tournaments.

Cheers,

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Ordered a new lightweight carry/stand bag. I'm trying to do more walking this season, so hopefully the lighter gear will help out.

Spieth is killing it these first 2 days at The Master so far. Hoping the young gun and hold strong. I have him in all 4 of my fantasy golf lineups, winning me money so far!

5. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Ping Hoofer is a good bag. Sun Mountain also makes good carry bags.

Cheers,

6. Schwazer

Schwazer Senior member

BSG still exist?

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I bought one of the Clicgear 3.5 push carts at the beginning of the season. With the heat here in Texas in the summer walking and carrying is not very realistic for me. I've already used it several times.

8. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I clicked a link that took me to an adultfriendfinder link so maybe not. I think there were a lot of articles/blogs about Todd defrauding people (shocker) back in 2006-07 but I forget the specifics.

ETA: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/311297-is-the-other-site-done-for-good-merged/page__st__720

http://bigstealergolf.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to play a lot of golf with Joe Kwok who used to get in epic arguments with Todd on the phone and, I think, online. GolfOpinions, from which Todd got his start, was my first forum experience.

10. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

300 Tours, zodias and lime green oziks bro!

11. Schwazer

Schwazer Senior member

12. nootje

nootje Senior member

Second round of the year, good weather and won the longest drive with 280 meters.

Scoring wise it was nothing special considering how rarely i play these days though, 82.. Not bad I think for a former scratch player that has maybe 5 rounds a year now..

1 person likes this.
  13. whiteslashasian

My hometown course was doing work on the front 9 greens so I played the back 9 three times for the paltry cost of $18 including cart. Shot a 46, 42, then 39 on my final round. Granted the back is easier than the front on that course.

I did the short Queens Flushing Meadows Pitch and Putt with my brothers last week and played fairly well with a 59 (par 54), considering I got a bit tipsy toward the end...

14. Mark from Plano

The PGA tour is in town with the Colonial over in FW this weekend and the Nelson in Las Colinas next weekend. Probably won't make it to Colonial this week, but might try to take in a day at the Nelson next week.

The Nelson is a shit show. A big party. Most of the drinking goes on in an indoor/outdoor temporary structure called "The Pavilion". Hundreds to a couple of thousand people will show up just to hang out at the Pavilion with no regard whatsoever to the golf that might be going on. Think hot 20 and 30 something's in short skirts and 4 inch heels drunk and walking around in the grass. They have a stage set up there and bring bands in to play at night, which amps up the party atmosphere. Like I said, it's a shit show. But if you live in Dallas, it's a once-a-year, can't-miss shit show.

The place will be packed this year. Most of the big players have skipped it since Mr. Nelson passed away. But Jordan Spieth is playing (as he always does). He's from Dallas, so it will be packed with people coming to see him.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  15. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

That sounds super fun. I should visit Dallas for this. Teg ot drah stekcit era?

16. Mark from Plano

Ysae on

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

:eh:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

19. whiteslashasian

I remember watching it live when Greg Norman says "It's not an easy one" to the 3 foot birdie putt to force a playoff and thinking to myself that DJ will fulfill his destiny.

I should have drafted Spieth on more of my fantasy teams for the weekend. I only had him on one, I had DJ and Day on two teams which obviously tanked as hard as they did on Sunday.

20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member