1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Keep digging, you won't get out of the hole. You were trying to tell the guy that he was seeing noticeable increases in both carry and total because a 1/2 degree in loft is imparting significantly more "energy" to the ball rather than the fact that he has brought his ball spin down from from 5000-6000 rpm to 2600-2800 rpm. "Higher backspin increases carry (provides lift), and higher ball flight increases carry (with any normal trajectory), so lower backspin and lower ball flight would both reduce carry", the difference in "energy" transfer is negligible.

ps the arc of a golf swing does not have a constant radius.

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I'm not in a hole. You may posture as much as you like, but you apparently continue to suck at reading. Case in point:

Wrong. Look it up. I'll do it for you:

Not a very accurate rendition, don't you think. Where, exactly, do you think the energy to spin the ball 5-6K RPM comes from? Duuuuuuuuuh..... The way a club is weighted will obviously contribute to this - but clearly a change in this characteristic is not an all-else-equal situation...

Look, I'm just responding to your wrongheaded attempts to correct my correct posts. I don't give a crap if you want to keep being wrong, fine. Each thing I've said is right. You can try to save face by convoluting things I've said, I don't care.

Correct (obviously), especially at the high backswing and high follow through. In any viable impact zone, however, it does have a fairly constant radius, prob centered between the shoulder blades for most people.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. nootje

nootje Senior member

FFS idiots. did you miss the memo where he DIDNT mention his launch angle?

If he is around the ideal point of 12.5 to 13 degrees, the previously mentioned backspin would ff up his ballflight considerably, making him balloon and shorten his overall ball flight and roll. Look it up, ideal is around 2800 rpm and 12.5 to 13 degrees launch angle at a club head speed of 110 to 120 mph( of the top of my head, its been a few years), which is his club head speed if I look at the distances he hit afterwards (unless he lives in the himalayas)

If you hit it slower you'll need a couple 100 more rpm, not taking into account preferences with regard to control.

energy doesn't factor in, unless you guys want to talk about the much vaunted smash factor, in which case ill need a few more drinks..

This stuff is not hard, not that sciency and definitely not worth this much effort.

4. archetypal_yuppie

5. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Does anyone here like to play golf?

1 person likes this.
  6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

This is why no one ever works on their swing to bring driver spin down, and ball companies spend money trying to make balls that spin to infinity off the driver. Oh wait, that's the exact opposite of what actually happens.

The slightly lower energy transfer of an 9 degree vs 8.5 driver is trifling compared to bringing ball spin down from 5000-6000 rpm to 2600-2800 rpm.

Hit an iron off the fairway and then one out of the rough, if you catch some grass between the ball and face it will spin less (lower friction) and fly further, a "flyer". (with less energy transfer).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I thought a_y said something about all reasonable launch angles, but I might be mistaken, that has almost happened before.?

Anyway, yes 2600~2800 good, 5000~6000 bad.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Wwwwwrong again, you do realise that when you swing a golf club the shaft bends, and when the club is "between the shoulder blades" it varies the most.

9. nootje

nootje Senior member

He probably did. As I said, this stuff is not that hard. (Executing it is another matter)
    The whole discussion reminds me of an obnoxious uncle. He tried to explain to me how the golf swing worked, never mind he just got started in the game and still played without a hcp. I was at that time a teaching PGA professional, I still am but chose another career.

10. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Any Evergreen CC in Haymarket, VA members on here?

11. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Sadly no. I am still suffering under the worst winter ever in the Great White North. Is Evergreen nice? I feel like my club won't open until Easter at the earliest.

12. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

trying to upgrade my rain/cool weather gears. Any suggested slim fitting/less logo brands that are readily available in US? I found a couple of latest ZR' styles that are slim enough but seems overpriced. I have older Sunderland which I like, but they have limited availability. I may check RL Golf but their prices are jacked up as well. FJ seems to be getting bigger and bigger. I'm still floating on their Small and I am not thin slim. TIA.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I really like RL Golf and RLX gear.

J Lindberg is slim fitting but expensive as well. Not sure what their cold/rain gear looks like though.

14. tropics

tropics Senior member

i would never have thought of it, but a friend works at under armour and picked me up a few coldgear jackets and pants. i really like them. some of the grey pieces have fairly subtle logos. but some are ridiculous, luminous yellow.. :foo:

15. archetypal_yuppie

You are just awful at reading comprehension.

Radius. RADIUS. centered between the shoulder blades. CENTERED. The RADIUS is CENTERED between the shoulder blades during ANY VIABLE point of IMPACT.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  16. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Oh so now it is a point? You do know the difference between a zone and a point, right?

Just give up, you are completely wrong,

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  17. archetypal_yuppie

You're a retard. Oh my god, such a huge retard. I guess we can add geometry to the list of topics you do not understand; what I said is not incongruous. Very obviously. Look at the words directly in front of "point." They are "any viable." The collection of "any viable points" = a "zone." Retard.

Saying:

...does nothing to advance your argument. Retard.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  18. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

So now the word "any" means "every" OK. Go ahead get your driver speed over 5000, why should I care if you lose distance, also I wouldn't give a fuck which driver you used 8.5 or 9, shit I don't give a fuck what shaft you use you wouldn't know the difference. Hit a driver over 5000 it will balloon, that's 5 6 iron territory.

19. archetypal_yuppie

From this point forward I'll treat you like a child, because when you're talking to children, you think to yourself, "well of course I'm not gonna correct the little kid or argue with him, he's just a kid!"

Ha, you're cute, Fangy. I don't know!! I have several tournament victories and a pile of trophies and awards to my name, wanna play with them? You can pretend the little statues on top are little golfers having a party together!

20. tropics

tropics Senior member

OK, I'll just step in here to say you BOTH win the argument. Deal?
    Shake on it...