Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

^ Like the shoes. What brand? Foot Joy?

Nice stop at the range today. Dialing in the new 7 iron nicely. It's all about just swinging through the ball.

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I use zen-isms for athletic self improvement "Be the ball" and such. They don't do shit.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I use zen-isms for athletic self improvement "Be the ball" and such. They don't do shit.

Have you tried talking to your clubs before hitting the links? It may help.

"You gotta want it boys!!"

4. nootje

nootje Senior member

Have you tried talking to your clubs before hitting the links? It may help.

"You gotta want it boys!!"

I prefer prayer and a sacrificial beer to the golf gods.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Played today, or sort of played. Greens were punched. Used some shovels that I borrowed from a friend. Hit 14 greens with a couple of kick ins. Now I am thinking of picking some up for myself. Fun, the first time out since January. [​IMG]

6. tropics

tropics Senior member

^ Like the shoes. What brand? Foot Joy?

Nice stop at the range today. Dialing in the new 7 iron nicely. It's all about just swinging through the ball.

shoes are from brooks brothers

7. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

So the result is when I maintain form, my club head speed is slower than what I'm actually capable of generating. The idea is to get the correct mechanics ingrained and then, a few years down the road, I'll be able to unleash but keep proper form. So there's the expensive part: the eventual re-shafting to a stronger flex.

Not really...if you go with hirekogolf.com, you can get some great deals. They do single iron orders as well.

8. Piobaire

shoes are from brooks brothers

Ah. They look nice.

9. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

88 today -- new personal best (beating out a few 89s from last year).

10. Piobaire

Nice!

Tried talking Mrs. Piob into doing 9 at our nearby course where we hit the range. She doesn't want to try yet. Understandable, given we've only used our irons to date. [​IMG] Hope to get out and try at least nine within the month.

11. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Nice!

Tried talking Mrs. Piob into doing 9 at our nearby course where we hit the range. She doesn't want to try yet. Understandable, given we've only used our irons to date. [​IMG] Hope to get out and try at least nine within the month.

Yup, as long as you're not dangerous or way too slow, best way to learn is out on the course.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

NICE!

Nice!

9 holes is the way to go.

Went to the range today, seemed to have replaced my slice with a hook. And was fairly mediocre.

13. Piobaire

Break through for both of us today. She's still very inconsistent but I watched her hit her best shots ever today. I think it's a combination of the clubs and the lessons. She still over thinks and will often pull the club head up in fear of getting a hard "stinger," when you go so fat you just dig up deep turf. However, several shots, straight and true, a nice 60 yards or so in the air with her 7 iron. Certain progress.

Me. Every swing that I just relaxed, swung easy, let the club do its job, a nice 7 iron shot. Good air, 120-140 yards in the air. Every time I tried to muscle it, a total fuck up. Instant feedback. This is actually a break through, in that I was consistent every time I just relaxed and swung.

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Every time I tried to muscle it, a total fuck up. Instant feedback. This is actually a break through, in that I was consistent every time I just relaxed and swung.

I've noticed this seems to be my biggest roadblock, just to play golf, let the club do the work.

15. Piobaire

I've noticed this seems to be my biggest roadblock, just to play golf, let the club do the work.

Mrs. Piob and I were debriefing tonight. I told her, 40 years of harder, faster, stronger is hard to overcome, but my golf instructor has it totally correct. Lighter flex than what my upper body might call for that leads to correct swing mechanics. Relaxed and easy = success. Trying to muscle it = failure. Maybe a few years from now I can combine both, but for now, relaxed and easy [​IMG]