• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that in terms of scoring, my short game will be important to bring back. But in the short term, I think it's more important to try to work on my long game so that I'm not shanking balls into who-knows-where. I'd much rather 3-putt than waste everyone's time looking for my golf balls.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'm going to play a world class course in the New Year, but it's been a while since I've played regularly. Any advice on how to bring my game up kind of quickly? I'm going to try to hit the range as many weekends as possible.

I also need a new three wood. Don't want to break the bank, but I want something decent. I have a Callaway driver and had a Ping 3 wood before I broke the shaft. Any advice?

Thanks.

I'd recommend game improvement woods. Personally, Calloways are my favorite game-improvement clubs. I believe taylor made is also pretty legit, but I don't like the feel of them.

I'd say start off at the range as often as possible and work on putting and chipping. Buy a small bucket and make sure each shot is meaningful. (ie. analyze what you're doing wrong instead of just smacking the crap out of all the balls in your bucket)

From my experience, reading the greens is something that you should pick up pretty quickly. Especially if you played regularly in the past.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Speaking of short game, I'm getting some wedges. Playing the par 3 course today drove home that a standard PW and SW are not enough for a short game. I constantly feel over clubbed but too far away to properly chip or pitch.

There's a lot of recommendations that I have for sand wedges and the like. If you're not at your club limit, I would recommend a 54 degree and 58 degree on top of your pitching wedge. with my 54 degree, I hit it roughly 120-ish yards and my 58 degree is usually used around the sand or to chip around.

Also, if you have the money, get scratch wedges. they are some of the nicest wedges I have ever hit with.

nairb49

Reaction score
Scratch wedges are great, but at his level (beginner-ish), no wedge will make any real difference, it'll be the one that gives him confidence at address and helps him hit it cleanly.

Any brand will do, just avoid high loft with low bounce combos and hit it clean.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh i forgot, it might be useful to bring a camera and tripod to analyze your swing too.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This morning, I finally went out and played nine by myself, and I loved it. I will definitely be doing it again. I really liked focusing on my game without distractions. Also, as a beginner everyone feels they should give advice when you play together. I value input from experienced players, but it can get really tiresome to repeatedly have people telling me how to adjust. Playing alone (obviously) gets rid of this, and it let me, even forced me to, evaluate my game on my own.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Day off work today. Headed to the course. Will report back if I play well. Will lie if I play ******.

Later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hit the range Saturday before hiking. It was bad.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should lie about today's round, but the truth is stranger than fiction so I won't.

Got big rain last night/this morning, so the range at the course was closed. Didn't get a chance to warm up or groove any type of swing at all. Hit a few puts then out to the course.

First six holes was four over (4 bogeys, 2 pars). Not playing well, but managing the game well enough to keep big numbers at bay. Next three holes in two under (!!!). Par three, hit an easy six iron 10 feet left of the hole and nailed the putt. Parred number 8. Number nine, hit 3 wood in the fairway and then a 9 iron to about a foot. Finished the front two over.

Back nine: Shot 52 (+16). No real swing. No real short game. Lipped out three makeable putts. Several penalty strokes. It was a disaster.

36+52=88. Probably only 3-4 strokes in total above where I can expect to be right now given how little I'm playing, but the way I got there was unusual.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumpin it up, Anybody play this week??

bbhewee

Reaction score
Played last week after not having played for over a month and couldn't hit a cow's arse with a club if I wanted to... Worst round of the year by far. I normally play in the low 90s these days and shot 113. It was painful to watch. The only few bright spots were driver-8 iron on a 440 par 4, a good 7 iron on a 165 yd par 3 to 5 feet (lipped out the birdie putt), and a couple of decent scramble pitches... Hopeful to play next weekend again.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a tee time for Sunday. The weather is supposed to be outstanding, so I'm stoked.

Now I just have to hope that LowerCaseG loves his father enough to not start his entrance into the world before 2:20 Sunday afternoon.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I have a tee time for Sunday. The weather is supposed to be outstanding, so I'm stoked.

Now I just have to hope that LowerCaseG loves his father enough to not start his entrance into the world before 2:20 Sunday afternoon.

Good luck either way!!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
Good luck either way!!

fistbump.gif

Thanks! Regardless of what happens, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Have only hit the range a few times in the last three weeks. Headed out for a lesson in an hour and have a tee time set up for Tuesday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads