Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

shit. I told myself I'd play a round or two this year, we're in September, and still haven't played.

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

shit. I told myself I'd play a round or two this year, we're in September, and still haven't played.

I told myself I was going to play a lot. So far I've only played about 3 times. Although, the best part of the Texas golf season is just about to get started, so perhaps there's still hope for adding to that total.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Only hit the range once this weekend as it was so friggin hot. Still, Sunday through Sunday, last week, I hit the range twice and played 18. Right thumb is sore...think I'm gripping too tightly.

In the last week of October, we plan to play about nine rounds in 10 days.

4. Piobaire

We were going to hit the course tomorrow, vs. working, and something came up and is preventing us. [​IMG]

5. denning

denning Senior member

Playing in a "Survivor" golf tournament tomorrow.

Held at a quite nice pitch and putt, par 3 course. They play just the front nine and put ten people on each hole. You play the hole and whoever gets the worst score is out. Nine remaining move to the next hole. If there is a tie for worst score on a hole then there is a chip off to determine who is out. Once each group whittles down to one remaining they bring the final nine together to continue. Once it is down to final 2 there is a 5 hole playoff.

Lots of fun. You don't have to be the best, just so long as you aren't the worst.

My dad got second losing to the club pro in the playoff a few yeas ago, and I won my intial group two years ago. Weather looks to be good tomorrow so I am stoked.

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Playing in a "Survivor" golf tournament tomorrow.

Held at a quite nice pitch and putt, par 3 course. They play just the front nine and put ten people on each hole. You play the hole and whoever gets the worst score is out. Nine remaining move to the next hole. If there is a tie for worst score on a hole then there is a chip off to determine who is out. Once each group whittles down to one remaining they bring the final nine together to continue. Once it is down to final 2 there is a 5 hole playoff.

Lots of fun. You don't have to be the best, just so long as you aren't the worst.

My dad got second losing to the club pro in the playoff a few yeas ago, and I won my intial group two years ago. Weather looks to be good tomorrow so I am stoked.

That sounds pretty fun. What happens to the guys who get kicked off? Do they just play through or go back to the clubhouse and get shitfaced?

7. denning

denning Senior member

That sounds pretty fun. What happens to the guys who get kicked off? Do they just play through or go back to the clubhouse and get shitfaced?

Option 2. But they do get the best choice of prizes and then they come back out to cheer people on. And drink more. And cheer louder. And so on and so on.

8. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

I played yesterday for the first time in over a year, and about the fourth time in the past 3 years. I shot a 78 - new course near where I've just moved. It feels good to still have some chops, but I had forgotten just how little difference there is, really, between a 78 and a 70. Isn't it crazy? Just a few breaks here or there - I had 2 birdie putts and 3 par putts lip out.

I had also forgotten golf stamina! I had trouble keeping my swing under control on the back nine and my hands are sore today. I was pretty tired by the end of the round. There are downsides to swinging a driver 125-130 mph!

9. Piobaire

I played yesterday for the first time in over a year, and about the fourth time in the past 3 years. I shot a 78 - new course near where I've just moved. It feels good to still have some chops, but I had forgotten just how little difference there is, really, between a 78 and a 70. Isn't it crazy? Just a few breaks here or there - I had 2 birdie putts and 3 par putts lip out. I had also forgotten golf stamina! I had trouble keeping my swing under control on the back nine and my hands are sore today. I was pretty tired by the end of the round. There are downsides to swinging a driver 125-130 mph!
    Indeed. Like having "Bubba" for your first name. [​IMG] http://www.hititlonger.com/blog/arti...all-supremacy/

10. Piobaire

Only did the front nine today. Just was not feeling the driver love today but the worse I did was a triple boogey. Cleared the hole across the water hazard again. In fact, a tad over clubbed and got a boogey as I missed my up and down.

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

I have a strange question: Does playing a round alone suck?

The weather is supposed to be perfect this weekend, and once the baby arrives sometime this month I probably won't be able to play again until spring. As such, I'd really like to play this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding someone who has the time right now, so I'm thinking I may just go play by myself. I'm kind of on the fence, though. On one hand, it might be nice to have some solitude outdoors on a nice day, and it might let me do some work on my game without caring about playing with others. On the other hand, it might suck to spend three hours alone playing a game that's best played with friends.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

12. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I thoroughly enjoy rounds by myself. It's just relaxing. You get to enjoy the outdoors and work on your game. You can hit multiple balls and not feel bad, try crazy shots because no one is watching.

But it sounds like you play golf more for the social aspect of it, so it might no be so fun for you.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

The positives you mention are exactly what I was thinking - I don't have to worry about anyone but myself, which might free me to do some work I'd otherwise avoid for fear of inconveniencing my fellow players.

To be honest, I don't know if the social aspect is that crucial to me; it's just something I associate with playing. I started playing earlier this year, so I'm so green that I'm hesitant to define anything about my game at the moment.

It sounds like it might be fun. Maybe I'll give it a shot. If I discover that I really do need the social aspect, I know not to try it again.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

No reason not to give it a shot. Just play 9 and see how you like it.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I have a strange question: Does playing a round alone suck?

The weather is supposed to be perfect this weekend, and once the baby arrives sometime this month I probably won't be able to play again until spring. As such, I'd really like to play this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding someone who has the time right now, so I'm thinking I may just go play by myself. I'm kind of on the fence, though. On one hand, it might be nice to have some solitude outdoors on a nice day, and it might let me do some work on my game without caring about playing with others. On the other hand, it might suck to spend three hours alone playing a game that's best played with friends.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

You may show up at the course alone and get paired up with a 2 or 3-some. This happened to me often, actually, and I met some interesting people as a result. Actually, the best round of my life was on a local course with three hung-over Scots/Newfies who were playing hooky from a conference.

That said, I've also had the course to myself before and I found that to be thoroughly enjoyable and even meditative as well.