Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Second practice session in a row I was overall happy with. Still using the seven iron for the mainstay club in grooving my swing. Very happy with results today. Got out the new Nike driver. Very happy. About ten drives, only one worm burner (although even that got 175 or so yards of distance), a few serviceable drives, and about 50% of where I want to be.

Still having problems with my hybrid. My Adams set is 4, 5, 6 hybrid and I have problems with them. Using the 4 to practice and having a hard time.

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

try to use the hybrids as irons, too much of a sweeping swing will ont work for them. i.e. hit down on the ball with them [​IMG]

3. Piobaire

What I'm doing is taking about ten practice swings, without a ball, and the goal is to take a divot just in front of where the ball should be.

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

What I'm doing is taking about ten practice swings, without a ball, and the goal is to take a divot just in front of where the ball should be.

Don't think about it too hard. Just make the same swing you would with your 7 iron.

5. Piobaire

So, three range sessions this week. Two were very good, today's not so much. As the song goes, two out of three ain't bad.

6. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Can anyone offer recs for courses/resorts in Palm Springs? I will be there for a week over Thanksgiving and trying to plan in the next few days. FWIW - I hate target golf, carry an 8 handicap, like to play the tips and the faster the greens the better.

I suspect iammatt will know where to play but it will probably be private.

Yes. Try golfnow.com for better rates.

I'd recommend PGA West. Stadium Course and Nicklaus Tournament Course are both really nice. Have heard good things about Indian Wells and Classic Club as well.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with PGA West.

7. denning

denning Senior member

I am 29 now, and for as long as I can remember (at least 15 years), I have had a slice on my drive. It used to be HUGE, and then I would get it some what under control, but I always had at the very least, a 10 to 15 yard fade on my drive. It was manageable though.

I would read articles, watch videos, and find new things to try to fix it. It might get fixed for a half a round or so, but then the old slice would be back.

Last week I went out for only my fifth round this year and something clicked. I don't know what it was, and I wasn't intentionally doing anything in particular to correct it, but the slice disappeared. Poof. Gone.

That round last weekend was the best round of my life. Not the best score, I only shot a 79 because my putting was atrocious, but the best round. 14 out of 18 greens in regulation, with 12 of those within 10-12 feet of the pin for birdie. And one of the greens I missed, I chipped in for birdie.

It felt phenomenal to just be able to swing free without having to worry about ending up in the trees on the right. My approaches with my 9 and pitching wedge were unconscious. I stuck two 6 irons from just over 200 yards to within 10 feet.

Anyways, I just wanted to brag a little about having my game finally start to come together. This game is a lot of fun when things start to go right.

8. office drone

office drone Senior member

try to use the hybrids as irons, too much of a sweeping swing will ont work for them. i.e. hit down on the ball with them [​IMG]

It took me 2 seasons to figure this out. Just started to hit them well and consistently this past spring.

9. Piobaire

As predicted, Tiger picked for the Ryder Team.

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I am 29 now, and for as long as I can remember (at least 15 years), I have had a slice on my drive. It used to be HUGE, and then I would get it some what under control, but I always had at the very least, a 10 to 15 yard fade on my drive. It was manageable though.

I would read articles, watch videos, and find new things to try to fix it. It might get fixed for a half a round or so, but then the old slice would be back.

Last week I went out for only my fifth round this year and something clicked. I don't know what it was, and I wasn't intentionally doing anything in particular to correct it, but the slice disappeared. Poof. Gone.

That round last weekend was the best round of my life. Not the best score, I only shot a 79 because my putting was atrocious, but the best round. 14 out of 18 greens in regulation, with 12 of those within 10-12 feet of the pin for birdie. And one of the greens I missed, I chipped in for birdie.

It felt phenomenal to just be able to swing free without having to worry about ending up in the trees on the right. My approaches with my 9 and pitching wedge were unconscious. I stuck two 6 irons from just over 200 yards to within 10 feet.

Anyways, I just wanted to brag a little about having my game finally start to come together. This game is a lot of fun when things start to go right.

Congrats! Now just don't over think it. keep swinging like you did in that round and eventually you will groove that into your new swing.

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

As predicted, Tiger picked for the Ryder Team.

Europe is gonna smack the U.S. around.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Join the club, brah.

[​IMG]

Golfing for what I'm pretty sure is the first time in over a year. Will go hit a bucket at the range first, but really, it's not about my round score today. It's just about being out in the sun with a buddy I haven't seen in too long and having fun. I will come back and post about my 71 later.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

[​IMG]

Golfing for what I'm pretty sure is the first time in over a year. Will go hit a bucket at the range first, but really, it's not about my round score today. It's just about being out in the sun with a buddy I haven't seen in too long and having fun. I will come back and post about my 71 later.

NOICE, Good luck with the 71 and then poast what you shot for your second 9.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]

15. Piobaire

Went and hit a small bucket after work. First half, very consistent, straight, good distance. Even managed to whack my 6 hybrid. Second half, less consistent, some pull, topped it a few times.

I think I need to hit the gym and exercise the lower back muscles that do the twisting in the golf swing.