Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

Yeah, though I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a tour pro who advocates swinging as hard as you can and then honing the swing style...that seems pretty backwards to me and goes against almost all of the swing instruction I've encountered.
    No less than Jack Nicklaus has said many times to teach a kid to hit it as far as possible - when he hits it long, then work on straightening things out. It's the way he learned and he taught his sons the same way.

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

there's a difference between going all out and just trying to hit it hard....

One might want to read into the history of Nick Faldo and his swing changes, he started out trying to control the ball no matter what (due to circumstances) and had a really hard time gaining swing speed later in his career.

That said, I dont think one should swing as hard as one can from the start. Get the basics (i.e.) grip, aim, setup) right from the start and when youre comfortable in them start hitting it harder later on. If you start out wrong you might screw up your timing, and it will be hard to recover from that....

3. po'richsaunders

po'richsaunders Member

No less than Jack Nicklaus has said many times to teach a kid to hit it as far as possible - when he hits it long, then work on straightening things out. It's the way he learned and he taught his sons the same way.

right but most pros would agree this is not done by hitting the ball as hard as you can without a focus on other essentials

4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I never said hitting it as hard as possible is the right way to practice. But for me, it was basically the cornerstone of my swing development. To get maximum distance, your whole body has to work together, and do so with good timing.

-gotta do a full turn
    -gotta adjust your weight
    -gotta stay balanced in order to not fall over
    -get to look awesome in front of bar-cart chicks
    -get to outdrive everyone eventually

My mom once said that when I swing, I look like a rubber band. I like that thought...

Eventually it becomes entrenched. I don't think about mechanics, to me its just one motion.

Edit: Doesn't just pay off driving the ball either. Strength/speed get you out of the rough, and clubhead speed results in spin/trajectory that allows you to hold greens.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

there's a difference between going all out and just trying to hit it hard....

One might want to read into the history of Nick Faldo and his swing changes, he started out trying to control the ball no matter what (due to circumstances) and had a really hard time gaining swing speed later in his career.

That said, I dont think one should swing as hard as one can from the start. Get the basics (i.e.) grip, aim, setup) right from the start and when youre comfortable in them start hitting it harder later on. If you start out wrong you might screw up your timing, and it will be hard to recover from that....

I remember reading about Faldo and Nicklaus. FWIW - the first club I ever bought was a driver, 8.5* and the first people I saw on the range my first time there were all banging their drivers hard...when in Rome, you know...so I teed it up and banged away with little regard for direction: solid contact itself was a minor miracle. I had to swing pretty hard to get it up in the air, and eventually things looked decent enough.

Learning irons from that point was an uphill struggle, though.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Doh, figured out something about driver vs. iron swings: weight distribution.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Going to the range tonight. I have a 2 man scramble with the guys at work on Friday. Trying to make a little bit of cash.

8. Piobaire

The range was horrible yesterday. Have lesson scheduled next Saturday.

9. nootje

nootje Senior member

two snaphooks yesterday in 9 holes, i had forgotten how destructive those fuckers were for my score [​IMG] ....

10. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Nice young start.

Still don't see how a 19 y/o plays most of his life, has zero equipment and now needs buying advice on everything from shoes to balls. /shrug

Sounds like a great day on the course, G.

I started playing when I was 5 or 6. I got a pair of golf shoes a couple years ago but I've grown out of them. I've grown out of my kid clubs and my last set of clubs was some random set that we sold like a year or two ago so I would just hit the driving range and borrow some friends clubs or sometimes my dad's clubs.

No one wants to help? [​IMG]

11. Piobaire

I started playing when I was 5 or 6. I got a pair of golf shoes a couple years ago but I've grown out of them. I've grown out of my kid clubs and my last set of clubs was some random set that we sold like a year or two ago so I would just hit the driving range and borrow some friends clubs or sometimes my dad's clubs.

I will give you shoe advice. Go to www.tgw.com and buy whatever Footjoy is on sale in your size. I got $200 pair of shoes for $50.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think we recommended clubs to Pio earlier in this thread and I don't know how my recommendations would change for you. Perhaps, depending on your financial situation, I'd cosnider used clubs, though - but either budget for new grips or take sandpaper to the old ones to get them tacky again.

Balls are a personal thing, I liked Bridgestone, Slazenger, and Titleist but I'd recommend you experiment with a few sleeves as you play to decide on what works for you.

After that, there's not much else you need. I played a lot of rounds in indoor soccer shoes (Adidas Sambas) so the golf shoes are nice but not a necessity.

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Played a new course today. It was a little bit redneck, pretty short, and in not so good condition. There was a high school match out there this morning and they tore up the greens. I hit the ball well with just a few bad shots. (hit it into the water on the par 3 16th) Shot 71.

Pretty easy in the grand scheme of things. 70.9/119 6400 yards.

It was nothing compared to the 74.8/138 7200yd beast i played this weekend.

14. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

pretty cool new offering from Titleist - custom wedges from Vokey WedgeWorks - just got mine in and it's a beauty - would highly recommend if you are in the market for some new wedges - all are pre-2010 grooves too

[​IMG]

15. Piobaire

^ Very nice.