• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mark, the Ben Hogan book is fantastic. Couple that with some youtube video of Hogan and I really am getting the arms, shoulders, hips backswing with the hip, shoulder, arm swing. It's amazing how much faster my club head speed suddenly seems to be.

Range for a big bucket Saturday. Gotta work on these changes. When the swing flows, you just end up in "the pose" at the end. It's amazing.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Callaway ft irons are going on sale tomorrow at Golf Town for 500 bucks (regular ~1200). Thoughts on these? I think I'm going to buy a set. Then it is off to Invermere for a few days to play with my Dad, gf and brother!

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What % of you guys actually play legit golf? In other words...

-no mulligans
-counting the actual number of strokes you took on a hole, and not subtracting the ones you didn't like, or turning the 9 into a 7
-rehitting, not taking a drop, for OB and *lost ball*!!!
-playing the ball AS IT LIES, not rolling it out of the divot
-putting out (no gimmies)

Hoardes of people violate these rules, and then when they actually play competitively (or for $), surprise, their scores are 5 strokes higher...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The only one I do is I'll take a drop on an OB if I didn't know it was OB and didn't hit a provisional. I don't want to slow play down behind me.

Happy to report, last Sunday, I got a rocking 124
smile.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie

-no mulligans
-counting the actual number of strokes you took on a hole, and not subtracting the ones you didn't like, or turning the 9 into a 7

Hoardes of people violate these rules, and then when they actually play competitively (or for $), surprise, their scores are 5 strokes higher...

The only one of those we don't follow is the putting out one if the ball is within a foot of the hole and another playing partner just picks it up and says that's good enough. other than that, all golf rules followed.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

-no mulligans

eh, I've been known to take a mulligan on one of the opening holes, but after that it's pretty well 'hit it where I find it'.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What % of you guys actually play legit golf? In other words... -no mulligans -counting the actual number of strokes you took on a hole, and not subtracting the ones you didn't like, or turning the 9 into a 7 -rehitting, not taking a drop, for OB and *lost ball*!!! -playing the ball AS IT LIES, not rolling it out of the divot -putting out (no gimmies) Hoardes of people violate these rules, and then when they actually play competitively (or for $), surprise, their scores are 5 strokes higher...
We only do gimmies if you're within a foot of the hole and someone says to pick it up. BUT i have seen one of my friends miss a 6 incher. He now plays college golf. I play it as it lies about 95% of the time.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the 5% where you don't likely represents the instances where your score may be affected...?

I need a new driver. Can't get the 8* x-stiff in the air like I used to. There goes $500.00.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the 5% where you don't likely represents the instances where your score may be affected...? I need a new driver. Can't get the 8* x-stiff in the air like I used to. There goes $500.00.
Nah I don't really see it making that big of a difference. If i'm picking it out of the rough and putting it in the middle of the fairway, sure. But me picking my ball up out of a bunker that hasn't been raked in 3 months and is sitting in a foot print of a guy who chose not to rake the bunker after he blasted out of it, raking the bunker, and dropping my ball over where the original lie was is not taking 5 strokes off my score. Often times i'll make sure it plugs just a little to compensate. Any other time if i hit into rough or weeds i accept my fate and hack it out. Yeah my Taylormade R540 is worn out. I'll be happy with a new Burner. And on a side note. I'm flying to Hilton Head instead of driving, I don't have a hard case to put my clubs in so Looks like I'm not going to be golfing. :-(

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Callaway ft irons are going on sale tomorrow at Golf Town for 500 bucks (regular ~1200). Thoughts on these? I think I'm going to buy a set. Then it is off to Invermere for a few days to play with my Dad, gf and brother!

FT's are great. That is what I've been playing the last couple years. I love them and have no plans to switch anytime soon. I'm around a 12 HCP and these are great for forgiveness, but not bulky at all like a lot of game improvement irons.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my wedges checked today. I've noticed the past few rounds I've played that i've lost a few yards on my sand and lob wedge. I know yuo're supposed to get your loft checked every year or so, and its been several years. So i'm thinking they might be bent a few degreess. My friend got his 56 checked a few months ago and it was bent to a 58.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Playing nine holes after work today. It's supposed to be ~94* with a heat index of 102* when we tee off. Lord have mercy.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
I'm getting my wedges checked today. I've noticed the past few rounds I've played that i've lost a few yards on my sand and lob wedge. I know yuo're supposed to get your loft checked every year or so, and its been several years. So i'm thinking they might be bent a few degreess. My friend got his 56 checked a few months ago and it was bent to a 58.

I had no idea this happened. Seriously.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly doubt this happens, unless you're cranking your clubs in a vice or beating them against a stone wall.

I've never even heard of it, and I know the game pretty well.

In any type of impact, the shaft is doing all of the bending and shock absorbtion. Impacting loose stones etc will put nicks on your clubheads, but it highly unlikely to bend them unless you're smashing squarely and directly into them.

58* vs 56* is more likely to be a measurement error than a bent club.

Even if they were bent, you know how far you're hitting that 58* wedge, why change it back to 56* unless there's a hole in your game there.

Sounds like some guy was trying to sell his club bending business.

EDIT: Think about it, if your clubheads were bending (at the hosel), the club face would be liable to bend too. Never seen a warped face.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly doubt this happens, unless you're cranking your clubs in a vice or beating them against a stone wall.

I've never even heard of it, and I know the game pretty well.

In any type of impact, the shaft is doing all of the bending and shock absorbtion. Impacting loose stones etc will put nicks on your clubheads, but it highly unlikely to bend them unless you're smashing squarely and directly into them.

58* vs 56* is more likely to be a measurement error than a bent club.

Even if they were bent, you know how far you're hitting that 58* wedge, why change it back to 56* unless there's a hole in your game there.

Sounds like some guy was trying to sell his club bending business.

I apologize, just talked to him. His 54 was bent to 56. I have a decent gap between my PW and 56. I should look into buying a 52 and scrapping my 56. although a choked down, punched PW is a pretty fun shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads