• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
(...)

I think that in Hogan's book he shows the overlap grip. That's still a great book, to get, by the way. The sections on the grip are especially good. I would argue that it's probably one of the best methods for teaching golf to an adult because it teaches a controlled, repeatable swing. Some of my more recent teachers get away from it because these days they teach a more extended swing designed to generate more power. Some of the basic concepts of swingplane, grip, etc. though are still pretty fundamental.

+1 on Hogan's book being essential.

Also, I wore a glove for a while, then forgot it one day and haven't worn one since.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Video or GTFO.

Don't have any. Next time out I'll have to go back to those days and hit a shot like that again and get it on video. Probably on the range. If I remember, I'll post it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
+1 on Hogan's book being essential.

Also, I wore a glove for a while, then forgot it one day and haven't worn one since.

BTW...when we talk about Hogan's "book" this is the one we mean. He wrote several, but this is the one that most teachers use to teach the fundamentals.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW...when we talk about Hogan's "book" this is the one we mean. He wrote several, but this is the one that most teachers use to teach the fundamentals.

The same. I gave my copy to an old friend from b-school who was struggling to pick up the game. We played a round in Austin at Avery Ranch and afterwards I thought he needed the book more than I did. I wonder whether it helped him all that much.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
The same. I gave my copy to an old friend from b-school who was struggling to pick up the game. We played a round in Austin at Avery Ranch and afterwards I thought he needed the book more than I did. I wonder whether it helped him all that much.

I don't know. IMO it's hard to read it and not come away with a better fundamental understanding of the swing and what you're trying to accomplish with it.

He teaches a pretty neutral grip and a pretty flat swing, though. If you've got tendencies otherwise and don't fix everything it might just make things worse. If he read it and fixed his grip, for example, but not the swingplane, he's going to be in big trouble. Same could be said of about any book, though.

imschatz

Reaction score
Finally back on the course .. took what seemed like an entire off-season break from this stupid game. And it was worth it. Shot a career best 84 today, and could have easily done better. If I can clean up a few things .. definitely potential to shoot sub-80! Now, going out again tomorrow, hopefully the confidence holds.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Henrik Stenson so underrated for how well he plays. Hopefully all of the talk of him being the next top ranked player in the world will start up again if he wins The Open.

Playing like a champ today

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Finally back on the course .. took what seemed like an entire off-season break from this stupid game. And it was worth it. Shot a career best 84 today, and could have easily done better. If I can clean up a few things .. definitely potential to shoot sub-80! Now, going out again tomorrow, hopefully the confidence holds.

Congrats! Sub-90 is in my distant future and I would be pumped for an 84. Congrats again!

Going to B&N today to see if they have the Hogan book. Also, I was given a Medicus swing trainer. Wow, do you have to have your club head just right to make that thing not break. Very cool.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that players don't team up like Nascar drivers or bike riders under their club providers to help sooth out the financial roller coaster. It might be easier to share coaches' salaries/travel costs, and equipment fees.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm a bit surprised that players don't team up like Nascar drivers or bike riders under their club providers to help sooth out the financial roller coaster. It might be easier to share coaches' salaries/travel costs, and equipment fees.

I'm sure guys that have their own planes allow some of their friends to ride along, depending on the size of the plane. I doubt anyone on the tour worried about equipment fees. If they break a club they just go to the trailers and pick out a new one. But yeah i would imagine coaches and travel is where they spend the bulk of their money.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Think I'm going to buy a practice mat and net. Anyone have a net?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bought "the book." The grip. My god, can that influence your swing!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Think I'm going to buy a practice mat and net. Anyone have a net?

When I got lessons in high school the guy said that the net can develop bad habits in your alignment because you can't see the flight path.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
When I got lessons in high school the guy said that the net can develop bad habits in your alignment because you can't see the flight path.

I've not heard that one but I have heard that practice mats will ruin you too. All I know is it would be nice to walk out to my side yard after work and get some swings in. Also, since I've seen video of Hank Haney working with everyone from Charles Barkley to Tiger in a driving cage, I figure the odds of it ruining me are pretty slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads