Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I don't think hitting 10 of 12 fairways is that outlandish. I've had days where I was hitting my driver perfectly all day (of course the other clubs weren't working) and I'm sure I've done that before. I've seen my uncle that accurate before. One must remember when comparing these claims to PGA standards is that for myself a) I'm not driving it as far as they are so I have more margin for error when hitting the fairway and b) I'm not playing the courses and conditions they are playing so typically I have wider fairways that are easier to hit.

Hitting 10 of 12 fairways is not a common occurrence (at least for me), but not something that I'd think was outlandish if told by someone else that they did it before.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I don't think hitting 10 of 12 fairways is that outlandish. I've had days where I was hitting my driver perfectly all day (of course the other clubs weren't working) and I'm sure I've done that before. I've seen my uncle that accurate before. One must remember when comparing these claims to PGA standards is that for myself a) I'm not driving it as far as they are so I have more margin for error when hitting the fairway and b) I'm not playing the courses and conditions they are playing so typically I have wider fairways that are easier to hit.

Hitting 10 of 12 fairways is not a common occurrence (at least for me), but not something that I'd think was outlandish if told by someone else that they did it before.

10 of 12 is a really good driving day for me, or WAS, back when I played a lot more (today, probably out of reach). That said, I'd be willing to say that - for me - at least a few of those fairways were a result of teeing off with an iron.

3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

10 of 12 fairways is REALLY good even for an "easy" course. I probably average 6 a round with the others being playable (ie not totally fucked in the woods). i'm usually good for 1 complete snap duck hook straight into the woods. i'm especially adept at doing this when i have to drive over a pond or marsh.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

10 of 12 fairways is REALLY good even for an "easy" course. I probably average 6 a round with the others being playable (ie not totally fucked in the woods). i'm usually good for 1 complete snap duck hook straight into the woods. i'm especially adept at doing this when i have to drive over a pond or marsh.

Lordy: there's this one course I used to play that had a marsh just to the left of the tee box on a long, wide-open par-5. It wasn't a hard course by any means, but no matter how well I was playing, I always pulled driver on said hole, and always pounded one off the heel into the marsh behind me. Last time I played that course I got so pissed off at the condition that I came to the tee box, threw my ball in the pond and walked off.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

happens to everybody. a few years ago, i played every week at a private club when it was closed on mondays and there was a par 5. had to drive it no more than 100 years over a simple marsh, but of course my ball would seem to find it's way in said marsh.

6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I really like this post as Yuppie says he's played pro but does not claim to hit the vast majority of his drives outlandish distances. It's very believeable.

Just a correction: I've never claimed to have played pro (I never have played pro). I was a state champion, all state, and medalist in multiple regional/state tournaments though, in high school.

Other people in the thread said they've played pro, so you must have confused posters.

7. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

All four examples you give have nothing to do with scoring, which was the only thing I pointed out that you have been harping on. That's your mischaracterization of me, not mine of you.

Moreover, three of the four examples you just provided are from the same person. Why characterize a larger group of us when it was really just one person who seemed to be making outlandish claims? Even blofeld's comment was not that ridiculous if you don't take his statement out of context. He said that he wasn't using a driver. If I didn't use a driver off the tee, I could probably hit 10 of 12 fairways too.

Having read this thread, it seems like maybe one person was making over the top claims about his driving ability, but you've made about a half dozen posts making fun of people's outrageous claims. It got old.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Things I have learned in this thread:

1) Pio is a shitty golfer
    2) Therefore everyone else must be shitty as well
    3) Lastly, Pio is a fucking douchebag

It's a shame that one newbie hacker has to ruin what could be a fun thread.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You are barking up the wrong tree. Things I have learned in this thread:

1) Pio is a shitty golfer
    2) Therefore everyone else must be shitty as well
    3) Lastly, Pio is a fucking douchebag

It's a shame that one newbie hacker has to ruin what could be a fun thread.

Again, place me on ignore. Simple solution. Also, while I am indeed a shitty golfer and a douchebag, you are a shitty thinker. Your summary can only be the result of the cord being wrapped around your neck at birth. I'll take my deficitis over yours.

Also, didn't you already leave this thread? [​IMG]
    done with this thread. you're right, sucking at golf is the only way to go. enjoy duffing it with your wife on the putt putt course. I will try harder to suck in the future.

Last time: we can re-rail this thread. It's easy. I already said I'd ignore further epeen comments and those of us that wish can just continue on. I'm sure there will be fewer epeen comments as you officially left the thread some time ago.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

happens to everybody. a few years ago, i played every week at a private club when it was closed on mondays and there was a par 5. had to drive it no more than 100 years over a simple marsh, but of course my ball would seem to find it's way in said marsh.

I think I know of a similar marsh. None of my clubs could carry the marsh, but even laying it up with a putter still finds the ball trickling in. If I ever build a course for myself - no marshes!

10. Piobaire

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

12. Piobaire

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

^^Ridiculous. Only the 4th on the PGA, I think the Wiki page says 8 or 9 people ever in competitive rounds.
    I also provided examples of quotes that indicate uber levels of golf talent being implied, such as, "just eliminate double bogeys." This is totally in line with, "Why can't you afford that car? Just earn 300k a year," a comment which would get called out.
    If you wanna get technical my comment was originally:
    Great job on the pars. You'll be surprised how quick your scores will go down once you eliminate triple bogeys or worse from you score. Then eventually double bogeys. Keep up the good work.
    You said you had a par or two (IIRC) some bogeys and a few awful holes. I was just saying that as soon as you start playing more and getting better those bigger numbers will drop off your score card. You will play well enough to where you don't have to worry about a 8 on a par three ruining your round. I know you're in the phase of your game where you really should be just focusing on making solid contact and at least getting close to fairways and trying to put the ball near the green in 2. So my comments were a little preemptive, but hey I ended on a positive note and gave you some encouragement. That should count for something right?

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

yeah, pio, his comments weren't really a condescending "just get rid of triple bogeys and you'll be set" tone. at least that's not how i perceived it.

look at stricker too? hell, half the field. guys are throwing darts out there today.

cooling down a lot in MI this weekend. need to hit the range soon to work out why i can't hit any GIR to save my life.

15. Piobaire

That should count for something right?

It should. My apologies.