• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be a bit pedantic, winners are only honorary members. They can play with a member, but they don’t have guest privileges and can’t participate in club activities. Jack is the only current member who has won. Arnie was a member too.

I believe that Geoff Yang and Jerry Yang are members.

Schwazer

Reaction score

Schwazer

Reaction score
243636.jpg

243573.jpg

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like clockwork, an inordinate number of people at the range now trying the pause at the top, and predictably not flushing it. :lurk:

mockingboy

Reaction score
Anyone want to share anything about golf clothing, where they shop for and what they are doing?

A lot of newer brands out there but filled with a whole lot of small collar polos, and Tommy bahama feel.

Interesting articles about Sid Mashburn as golf clothing in WSJ.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to share anything about golf clothing, where they shop for and what they are doing?

A lot of newer brands out there but filled with a whole lot of small collar polos, and Tommy bahama feel.

Our club covers the spectrum from the guy who thinks Fowler is a fashion icon and rocks the all orange and flat brim
CEF41E03-054C-483F-BA93-798BEDB5F193.jpeg
t
Or the old dude looking like he’s rolling off the tee like it’s the mid 90s on tour
162298B4-C0DC-4702-9E50-84AF8CA9542F.jpeg

But seems like Galvin Green, GFore, RLX has kind of taken over as the most common. Travis Matthew and J Lindberg did their thing but that faded out.

FootJoy, FJ1857 and Peter Millar is usually pretty safe and what I tend to stick to. I’ll mix in some BDraddy from time to time or something for more conservative or mix in some GFore if I want to be a little louder.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Played the 9 hole municipal course this am. Didn't keep score because when you are bad as i am...

My short game isnt terrible. Not a damnation with faint praise. Like i had some long putts and got them to the hole. Chipped a couple right to the hole. If i played or practiced regularly id get them in consistently. But still takes three to get on the green. Im also fairly consistent. Because no one was behind me id play two ball on a hole and routinely ended up in the same spot.

Best tee shot was n #9 with a 6 iron. My best shot happened by accident. Curved hard right off the tee hit an embankment and popped up to lime 20 yards from the hole.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played the 9 hole municipal course this am. Didn't keep score because when you are bad as i am...

My short game isnt terrible. Not a damnation with faint praise. Like i had some long putts and got them to the hole. Chipped a couple right to the hole. If i played or practiced regularly id get them in consistently. But still takes three to get on the green. Im also fairly consistent. Because no one was behind me id play two ball on a hole and routinely ended up in the same spot.

Best tee shot was n #9 with a 6 iron. My best shot happened by accident. Curved hard right off the tee hit an embankment and popped up to lime 20 yards from the hole.
Attaway - Go easy on the praise being faint - Getting a long putt to the hole with a lag is a pretty good place to be. If you want to start to shave strokes one of the biggest surprises guys have when working to find a way to go lower is how much more important GIR and proximity are compared to putting. Most guys severely overestimate their ability to make putts > 10 ft and overestimate how important those putts are in their grand scheme of their scores.

My favorite thing to see when I'm playing a guy and deciding what our stakes are going to be is the guy standing on the putting green who gets frustrated and can't believe he didn't sink the 15 footer. I'll press the stakes every single time when I see it. To keep it in perspective - I think Webb had the best make stats last season of putts >10 ft - He made about 20% of them over the course of the season.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
sounds like it's just the golf clubs fault, no? have you tried anger?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never wear pants or shorts made specifically for golf. There’s a lot of performance fabrics that do nothing for me and unnecessary pocket features that look just ugly. I wear pretty standard chinos. Stone color over khaki, because it works with everything. 100% cotton for shorts, but I tried some Rota pants that are 98% cotton and 2% elasthane. The slight stretch seems to matter more for me with pants than shorts, which often have wider thighs.

For shirts, I do think that performance fabrics make a difference in warm weather, so I stay away from cotton shirts. Golf style is funny. I grew-up in Augusta. When I play at clubs back there (not actually there), nobody wears stuff from the big sports brands, like Nike, Adidas, UA, Puma, etc. You get looked at funny when you do. It's much more of the pastels from brands like Peter Millar. It's a much more country club kinda look. It's kinda stupid, but there's a bit of social expectation with how you dress at certain clubs. At my club near D.C., there's a lot more variety. I typically wear a mix of Nike and Peter Millar.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never wear pants or shorts made specifically for golf. There’s a lot of performance fabrics that do nothing for me and unnecessary pocket features that look just ugly. I wear pretty standard chinos. Stone color over khaki, because it works with everything. 100% cotton for shorts, but I tried some Rota pants that are 98% cotton and 2% elasthane. The slight stretch seems to matter more for me with pants than shorts, which often have wider thighs.

For shirts, I do think that performance fabrics make a difference in warm weather, so I stay away from cotton shirts. Golf style is funny. I grew-up in Augusta. When I play at clubs back there (not actually there), nobody wears stuff from the big sports brands, like Nike, Adidas, UA, Puma, etc. You get looked at funny when you do. It's much more of the pastels from brands like Peter Millar. It's a much more country club kinda look. It's kinda stupid, but there's a bit of social expectation with how you dress at certain clubs. At my club near D.C., there's a lot more variety. I typically wear a mix of Nike and Peter Millar.
Are you a dawg? Yeah performance fabric polos are necessary. Have you tried birddog for shorts

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you a dawg? Yeah performance fabric polos are necessary. Have you tried birddog for shorts

I didn't go to UGA. When you go to college in New England, you're allowed to have a SEC school to cheer for, so I'm a Georgia fan.

I'm not familiar with birddogs. I did try Sid Mashburn cotton shorts for golf. I'm short and don't mind a short inseam, but I thought those still were too short for golf.

sftiger

Reaction score
Peter Millar striped polos (often with club logos on them), plain Bonobos khakis with a bit of stretch to them. Nothing too crazy. I don't really see people wearing that GFORE/Galvin Greene stuff but I would imagine those are the same kind of people who use iron covers.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A GFORE EMBH hat is on point if you’re trying to get shallow or into USC. Otherwise some combination of Nike, Adidas, Lululemon, PM, Kjus, Greyson, etc. is probably good, depending on setting. B Draddy has some nice stuff too, but very slow shipping.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bunch of it probably has to do with who your clubs pros have a deal with as well. Nobody wore Galvin Green - New pro came in and had a deal with them. Loaded up the pro shop with it and voila.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads