Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Ha, I was just about to resurrect this thread but you beat me to it. Played nine twice over Memorial day. Only thing to brag on was I shanked my drive on the ninth hole of the second round so I took a mulligan. Crushed the drive (I was mad and wasnt overthinking) about 280 (Im usually a 250 range). 150 left to the hole and I hit a wedge to within 2 feet. Ive never eagled a hole and I dont know how it didnt go in. Although technically it wouldnt have been an eagle thanks to my crappy first swing.

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Ah man. That's the worst. Shanked drive so you take a provisional or have to do a lateral hazard drop, groove it deep into the fairway and end up with only a bogey or par if you play the rest of the hole lights out.

I have a "tournament" this week into Saturday that I'm looking forward to. My partner is a 30 handicap (no joke) and the point system is very lenient toward hackers. So hopefully we can get near the top of the leader board.

3. TheShoeMaker

TheShoeMaker Well-Known Member

I was thinking of picking up golf seriously again but now I'm apparently moving to Japan on a short notice and Ive heard its quite difficult to get on a golf course over there. Anyone had any experience playing golf in Japan?

4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

No golf going on?

I actually got nine in over the 4th which was cool because it was only 2 weeks after I had surgery on my thumb. I had the other thumb worked on a week ago so I hope to be full strength in a couple of weeks.

Anyway played the same nine as I did over Memorial day and had some good and bad shots but my highlight came on 9 again. Knowing I shanked the drive the last time I took a nice easy swing and put it comfortably (but short) in the fairway. The hole doglegs left and there was a rather large tree blocking straight to the green. So I joked with my buddy that I was going to slice (fade) it around the tree with a hybrid. I use to have a pretty good slice so I know the mexhanics behind it. I setup with the ball further back and gave it a nice easy swing with a hybrid. It actually worked. My buddy started laughing as he saw it work. We couldnt really see where it ended up but I knew it had to be close to the green. As we started in to the green I saw that I knocked to about 60' of the hole and 2 putted for birdie. Awesome.