1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

How is that, Douglas?
    It's starting to get a little chippy. I sense a de-rail may be coming.

2. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Yeah, I was about to talk about the good old days of drives in the 280-330 range (a handful at best), until I remember what it was like to get really cozy with the OB markers, and sacrificing a few balls to traffic, and finally I remembered that there's a reason I leave my woods at the house.

wouldn't it make more sense to learn how to hit them straight rather than leaving them at home? Unless you hit a 3 iron 250 dead straight, woods are sort of necessary. If you can't hit a fairway wood straight 80%+ of the time, you have some major swing issues.

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

+1 at iammatt

[​IMG] @hitting the ball into traffic, I once drove a ball through the windshield of a parked car.. (and on several clubhouse terraces, a boat and into a prison (ok, the last one I did deliberately when I was 16))

FWIW, I used to be a professional and taught for some years. If someone wants to, post your swing and I'll analyse.

4. nootje

nootje Senior member

wouldn't it make more sense to learn how to hit them straight rather than leaving them at home? Unless you hit a 3 iron 250 dead straight, woods are sort of necessary. If you can't hit a fairway wood straight 80%+ of the time, you have some major swing issues.

I assume you mean that 80% straight is straight with a margin of ??? on both sides? I know I cant hit my 3 wood of the deck straight in those percentages. Even if I found one that I like...

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, I don't practice nearly as much as I ought to, and irons just came more naturally to me than woods ever did. For every 280+ I would bang out into the fairway there were a LOT more that went sideways. Since I don't really go for frustration, I started leaving them home and thinking my way around a bit more.

To me, the key to staying at least respectable is that I manage myself between my ears and keep from getting upset or disinterested. So I play the clubs I know well and take what I can get. And I smile more that way, too.

6. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

FWIW, I used to be a professional and taught for some years. If someone wants to, post your swing and I'll analyse.

Next time I go I'll have a video taken for you to analyze. I have one but it's from a year or two back and I've changed quite a bit since then. I'm not like these stallions here as I drive about 250 yards on average with 270-280 if I really get into one. I know there's probably a shit ton I'm doing wrong that I just don't know about.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

As to woods being necessary, I suppose they are if you're shooting for par when you go out. I, however, am realistic about my limitations.

That said, FWIW, let's say I poke my 2-iron out there around 200 - 210 or so on a good stroke. On a 400-yard par-four that leaves me, say 190 out. From 190 I can either play a 4-iron if there's no trouble around the front of the green, or go 8-iron and half-wedge if I have to carry something. Or I go 5-iron and bump onto the green. I have options at that point.

8. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

I assume you mean that 80% straight is straight with a margin of ??? on both sides? I know I cant hit my 3 wood of the deck straight in those percentages. Even if I found one that I like...

straight like in the fairway, off the tee. like for instance, this past saturday, I hit 10 of the 12 fairways I used by 4 wood to tee off on. it's a pretty valuable club that I personally could not play without.

Well, I don't practice nearly as much as I ought to, and irons just came more naturally to me than woods ever did. For every 280+ I would bang out into the fairway there were a LOT more that went sideways. Since I don't really go for frustration, I started leaving them home and thinking my way around a bit more.

To me, the key to staying at least respectable is that I manage myself between my ears and keep from getting upset or disinterested. So I play the clubs I know well and take what I can get. And I smile more that way, too.

I agree about thinking. I don't hit driver very often either, mostly because I don't need to because i can hit my fairway metal 240-250 off the tee. the risk / reward for the driver, i agree, makes it unnecessary especially when playing 6000-6500 yard courses.

but you should seriously consider a 5 wood. swing it like a 5-iron, which apparently you hit quite well, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results...

9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Most public courses these days rarely require you to use fairway woods anyways. It's one of my peeves about all the crappy courses out there, but there it is. Rarely do I even need a long iron. They're set up for even the crappiest of drivers to have less than 150 to go for their 2nd shots.

10. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Or I go 5-iron and bump onto the green. I have options at that point.

only in texas

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1 at iammatt

[​IMG] @hitting the ball into traffic, I once drove a ball through the windshield of a parked car.. (and on several clubhouse terraces, a boat and into a prison (ok, the last one I did deliberately when I was 16))

OK, this is kind of on topic for distance. Here are two pics of me halfway down. One has too much angle (I think) which certainly helped with distance, but was hell as far as control. Also too much lateral slide below etc. The other is what I am working toward. Average distance is probably better through the bag because contact is waaaaaaaaay more solid. [​IMG] [​IMG] Anyway, your thoughts, and your thoughts as to the general keys to distance? I'm not concerned with mine, but internet distances being a bit like internet girlfriends, describing the mechanics might help somebody.

12. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Most public courses these days rarely require you to use fairway woods anyways. It's one of my peeves about all the crappy courses out there, but there it is. Rarely do I even need a long iron. They're set up for even the crappiest of drivers to have less than 150 to go for their 2nd shots.

exactly, which is why you need one to leave yourself comfortable yardages off the tee. off the deck, I use mine maybe 1-2 times a round.

13. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Also too much lateral slide below etc.

not a teacher, and think you know this, but turning rather than swaying will help you tremendously with both distance and accuracy.

14. nootje

nootje Senior member

straight like in the fairway, off the tee. like for instance, this past saturday, I hit 10 of the 12 fairways I used by 4 wood to tee off on. it's a pretty valuable club that I personally could not play without.

Ah, You meant a consistent shot, not consistently straight, my bad... That 4 wood sounds like a real friend btw [​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

not a teacher, and think you know this, but turning rather than swaying will help you tremendously with both distance and accuracy.
    Neither of those even resembles a sway.

16. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Ah, You meant a consistent shot, not consistently straight, my bad... That 4 wood sounds like a real friend btw [​IMG]

yeah, I'm trying out his replacement right now which I think will be even better...

17. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I agree about thinking. I don't hit driver very often either, mostly because I don't need to because i can hit my fairway metal 240-250 off the tee. the risk / reward for the driver, i agree, makes it unnecessary especially when playing 6000-6500 yard courses.

but you should seriously consider a 5 wood. swing it like a 5-iron, which apparently you hit quite well, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results...

I had this ridiculously weak-lofted 5-wood, I think it was around 23 or so degrees and I really had to mash down with it in order to get a ball-flight I liked. I ended up giving it to a friend who in turn used it to get a really high ball-flight (climb!!!), and I momentarily considered him insane until I remembered that he was the scratch golfer, and I was generally 10 or so shots worse.

But since you mention the 4-wood, I had a nice really old one that was pretty consistent, and I've since forgotten what happened to it. There's a Hogan 4-w laying around the house that the little one picked up at a garage sale - might be worth trying out.

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

OK, this is kind of on topic for distance. Here are two pics of me halfway down. One has too much angle (I think) which certainly helped with distance, but was hell as far as control. Also too much lateral slide below etc. The other is what I am working toward. Average distance is probably better through the bag because contact is waaaaaaaaay more solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, your thoughts, and your thoughts as to the general keys to distance? I'm not concerned with mine, but internet distances being a bit like internet girlfriends, describing the mechanics might help somebody.

How am I supposed to tell the difference between these pictures? you're wearing the same thing in each one. [​IMG]

20. nootje

nootje Senior member

Neither of those even resembles a sway.

+1

First off, nice positions! Especially the second pic.

general keys to distance;

1:create width giong up in the backswing, a full shoulder turn and as little hip turn as possible whilst keeping your arms extended without tensioning them too much. I used to say to people to keep them "long" . An extreme example of this can be found here: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instr...wing-sequences by fred couples. Allthough his turn is not recommended for mere humans [​IMG]

2: the transition starts with either a small bump sideways from the hips or a turning motion from the hips. This depends on the player. A lot of power gets stored in the wrists in this manner, as one can see in the pics posted by iammatt. This is the angle, mentioned earlier. From what I can determine from both pics is that you are used to slide your hips into the target a bit much (probably an old fault, as a lot of younger players do this to gain more distance, a nice example i found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhmn...eature=related .) leading to more distance but loss of consistancy in ballstriking, allthough for younger kids this is fine. A lot of angle in itself isnt a bad thing however, for reference look up the swings of sergio garcia and charles howell III, both players whom I wouldnt consider calling bad ballstrikers. (in comparison with iammatts pics, their bodies are a lot quieter in the downswing). How much angle one generates is partly technique, partly genetics. CHIII for example has hyperflexibility in his wrists if i recall correctly.

These two principles are carried to an extreme in long driving, which can be seen here:

For a nice example, albeit extreme, of the transition going the other way look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRL0L...eature=related

This usually follows from a tensioning of the upper body coming from trying to hit the ball hard. Adults who start in the game late usually deal with this problem, hence the "relaxing" as told by pio earlier in this thread. It was not my way of teaching, but thats a different matter.

@iammatt, the dipping of your head in the down swing probably also still hails from these younger years [​IMG]

Ok, I tried to install some drawing software so I could illustrate this a bit better but failed, Ill get this right for future posts. If anybody finds my wording a bit obscure, feel free to correct as im still expanding my golf vocabulary in english.