• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the intent was to mimic life, they succeeded. Life doesn't end in some epic, satisfying manner. You just ******* die, probably unhappily. There are almost no heroes, or master manipulators pulling the strings, just a bunch of mildly competent assholes making rash, sometimes **** sometimes less ****, decisions. When someone is hit with a round form MP16, AR47, an IED, bomb, etc., there is no rousing music playing while your internal organs liquify. When your dead body expels your bladder and stomach contents, it doesn't happen in slow motion while inspiring fellow humans to do better.

Making multiple personal sacrifices, like Jon did, almost never guarantees prosperity or success or praise; it doesn't make you better than anyone else, and you can still be relegated to the goddamn wall. There was never going to be a coronation for Jon. There was never going to be a prince that was promised. The half-assed "government" pulled out of thin air is fatally flawed, not because it's half-assed but because we are want to tear down our institutions. We are all white walkers.
Props for the nihilism.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The actual execution is like a film school student learning this storytelling technique and trying it out for the first time, though.

Why the **** is there still a Night's Watch when the Wildlings are at peace with the southern folk and the Night King is defeated?

I don't think there is a real Night's Watch. Jon is going off with Tormund for whatever reason. I think it's the Westerosi version of Club Fed for Jon.

You know, there are a lot of good themes in this ending that D&D glossed over or handled clumsily. Another one is that the Stark children are all going their separate ways. They're family, they've been reunited, they probably want to stick together, but they can't. (Well, Arya could. Her ending is the stupidest.)

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The actual execution is like a film school student learning this storytelling technique and trying it out for the first time, though.

I believe it was B&W's first attempt at directing, so this tracks.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Btw what the **** happened to Nymeria? Another loose end that was clearly set up to get tied off at an opportune time...but went nowhere.

So the surviving Stark kids get to share a last moment before going off on fresh stupidities, but Ghost and his sister never find each other again

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stark kids family is most important

2episodes later: Also Stark kids, let’s banish this loser. Not even a rescue attempt from Arya.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the **** is there still a Night's Watch when the Wildlings are at peace with the southern folk and the Night King is defeated?
Maybe it's a New Deal style public works project- they're going to repair that giant assed hole in the Wall. Should keep them busy for a while.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh...plebe question. I just realized I don’t have a DVD player. Is there a way to stream the show from the beginning? (I have HBO).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh...plebe question. I just realized I don’t have a DVD player. Is there a way to stream the show from the beginning? (I have HBO).
If you have HBO, you can use your cable/satellite login to steam via HBO Go

Orbis881

Reaction score
The Wire
Sopranos
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Rome
West World
Peaky Blinders
Oz

true

These are wonderful shows and I like rewatching them from time to time, I would also like to add Carnivale and Dead Wood to that excellent list. It's a shame that HBO did not finish the last two.

My absolute favorite before GoT was Breaking Bad, The Office UK and Cheers most specially due to sentimental reasons.

Californication is entertaining, and Better Call Saul is good and may still surprise. West World season 1 was very good, but I have put off watching S2 as I've heard it may not be as nice.

I have not seen Peaky Blinders and Oz, I am actually looking for new shows to enjoy, thank you for recommending them.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let’s not forget the early Law and Order.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
074AA8C1-7F0B-43A1-B789-7B079BB99C92.jpeg

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ps. Dany arc could be what if story; what would happened if Galadriel took the ring from Frodo.

"And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!"

Which leaves me thinking isn't it what GRRM planned idd from beginning in that arc, absolute power corrupts absolutely even the best of us?

The show kind off reduced that to Westerosi eugenics. But makes me wonder if that's where we are heading with book Dany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics