• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly right that among Targ loyalists John has the superior claim over Dany but of course that doesn't always carry the day because the decision involves political and military calculations as well as claims of bloodline. Stannis clearly had the superior claim to succession over Renly in the war of the five kings and the lords loyal to Storm's end/house baratheon all picked Renly anyway.

Among targ loyalists who want to recover the positions they lost in robert's rebellion Dany would be the natural choice because she has the army and dragons and can win.

If you want to have an ending to satisfy book nerds Dany needs to stab John through the heart with long claw (or vice versa) to forge light bringer and fulfill the Nissa Nissa prophesy

Lyanna was Nissa Nissa. Rheagar stabbed her and she died (childbirth).

John is light-bringer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you want to have an ending to satisfy book nerds Dany needs to stab John through the heart with long claw (or vice versa) to forge light bringer and fulfill the Nissa Nissa prophesy

This is a really good point. It's pretty clear by now Jon is Azor Ahai, getting resurrected and all through the Lord of Light, but is Dany Nissa Nissa? Maybe that answers Sam's question of would she give up her crown? Well, not only her crown, but her life to get this done.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Azorahai? Nizza Nizza? I’m so lost. How could everything in the show hinge on something they omitted from the books?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the ending doesn't track with one of the prophesies. One of my favorite elements of the show, and books, is that most prophesies are bullshit. An ending that adheres to a prophesy also seems like one of the biggest fantasy tropes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Azorahai? Nizza Nizza? I’m so lost. How could everything in the show hinge on something they omitted from the books?

Brogeorge, it was all through the books.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve still got a slim volume of Proust left to read, measles is looming, and there are no guarantees.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope the ending doesn't track with one of the prophesies. One of my favorite elements of the show, and books, is that most prophesies are bullshit. An ending that adheres to a prophesy also seems like one of the biggest fantasy tropes.

One thing I think people misunderstand about GRRM is that they assume he is very trope-subverting. I don't think he is: his writing (which I enjoy) is full of tropes. His greatest trick was misdirecting who the main characters were in ASOIAF. What other writers would have treated as a prequel or an opening chapter formed the first three books of the series. Readers get emotionally attached to the Starks and then watch all the key players get killed off (Ned, Catelyn, Rob). We're then left with characters who's motivations we completely understand as they mirror our own.

Outside of that many of the character arcs could be called "tropey." The bastard/rejected son becoming the King/Lord (Jon, Samwell, Tyrion, Gendry), the arrogant/tragic man discovering purpose & humility (Jaime, Sandor, Bronn TBD), the weak maiden finding strength (Sansa/Arya).

Granted these are generalizations and EVERY story relies on tropes in some way to make the characters relatable. I just wouldn't be surprised if the ending is a bit more fairy-tale-esque than people are expecting (albeit with some bittersweet or painful moments).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As far as tropes remember there's really only two stories that get told. The hero has an adventure or a stranger comes to town.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wouldn't be surprised if the ending is a bit more fairy-tale-esque than people are expecting (albeit with some bittersweet or painful moments).

I am conflicted because I kinda want to see everything burn and Cersi surviving as the ruler of new Valyria, but I also want Sansa to be left as the winner of the game.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm glad to see gendry back in action.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think we also need to acknowledge this whole thing got away from GRRM and the show runners are just trying to tie this mess up in a way that won't totally piss off the fan base.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads