OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jarude

jarude Senior member

brilliant

2. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Both :slayer:

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

From the looks of it, I expect she'll be gleaning information from men she makes happy in Qarth.

4. Lionheart Biker

Hope we see that in the making [​IMG]

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Yeah that was pretty evident.

On another note, I was talking to a fan of the show who hasn't read the books earlier and we were talking about who the protagonist is. In the books (after #1 in which it was obviously Ned's show and was in the first season of the series as well), you could feasibly be "in the corner" of any number of characters. Do people who just watch the show see this as Tyrion's story? Or Robb's? Maybe Arya's? Tyrion gets the most screen time, largely because Peter Dinklage kicks ass. And in the medium the way it is, Jon and Dany are too far "out of sight out of mind" from the central conflicts to really seem like anything but side-stories. So is everyone pulling for the imp?

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Even though the screen time shared by the characters is so lopsided towards Tyrion, I've always thought of it as an ensemble. Not sure if there are any characters you should be 'rooting for'. The Lannisters aren't all bad, and the Starks aren't even all that good.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

No one is all good or all bad, that's kind of what's refreshing about the series. It's far from perfect but the characters have depth. Most fantasy is essentially "here are the good guys and here is the unimaginable and undiluted evil they must face". To some extent that applies to the white walkers (haven't read later books so no spoilers) and some characters are definitely more bad than good (Joff) or more good than bad (Robb) but they all have their shades of grey.

And I definitely root for certain people. Pretty much at the moment Drogo died and the dragons were born I began eagerly awaiting the moment when Dany comes back and tears the crap out of Westeros. Everyone else can get bent. Or more accurately, subjugated. Watching the show though, I find it's much easier to pull for Tyrion to keep all the plates spinning than delighting in the thought of Drogon and co. eating Lannisters.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

best answer

i think he is my fave character because he is played so well, but i dont see it as any ones persons story. just a vast collection of stories that will hopefully merge some day.

but that would be pretty :slayer:

9. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Well I can't speak for people who haven't read the books, but I want so much good for Arya that it's almost hard to read her chapters some times, because I know she's just going to get more shit heaped on her. Maybe she reminds me a little of my own daughter, although my daughter is a lot less stabby.

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Also, I'm pretty sure there is nothing good or redeeming about Joffrey. Even Cersei has moments where you can feel a slight twinge of sympathy for her, but Joffrey is completely irredeemable.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yeah, i dont read the books, but id really like to see something go her way sometime.

even when i almost find myself feeling bad for cersei, i realize i dont. and i find that she is the one who put herself in whatever shit storm situation she is bemoaning anyways.

12. Lionheart Biker

As someone who hasn´t read the books, I kinda have a preference for Tyrion, but probably because he´s getting an awful amount of screen time, which doesn´t bug me since he´s played so brilliantly, but sometimes I´d like to see more of other characters. Rob is one of them. He hasn´t appeared much in these episodes, as well as Tywin. They´re both pretty interesting characters and have major roles in the events taking place... They´re pretty much the only ones that are actually doing some fighting at the moment. Leaving main characters aside, I think Bron is the coolest "sidekick", for lack of a better word. Last episode´s "There´s no cure for being a cunt" phrase was hilarious. And he had some good ones this week as well, when him and Tyrion were walking through the city.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I don't mind Tyrion's screen time one bit. Tywin is one of my favorite characters but I can live with super bad ass (but minimal) screen time. I hope Arya doesn't try anything funny with him... I don't really care for Catelyn but she's ok just not fun to watch. Now that Dany is in Qarth I'm enjoying her scenes more. Always liked Renly, he'll be missed. Jon Snow's scenes are fun too. REally, apart from season 1 where I didn't care much for Dany's scenes (upon repeated viewing not first time around), I don't think there are any parts of the story that bore me or really get me to root hard against a non tangential character (maybe except Theon's sister)

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have never read the books and I don't think of GOT as a story for one person in particular. I'm fond of too many of the characters to say that any one does or doesn't deserve more time over the others.

I would like to see more of Jon Snow because I generally like that character archetype in fantasy stories but his particular storyline is a bit boring, so I'm not complaining too much at the lack of screen time.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Just you wait, son.