OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Martin > Sanderson (at least for now), though.

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

Are you friggin serious? Christ...I'm almost done with book 2....but this is making me want to put it down forever. Absolutely ridiculous.

I've red a fair bit of fantasy, and even David Eddings didn't even drag shit on this much.

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The pacing is rather good up through Book 3. Given the extremely long wait, some commentary by Martin, and the fact that "Book 4" got split into two and still didn't cover his original narrative goals, I think he hit a wall and just got bogged down and couldn't figure out exactly how to solve it. Book 4 and 5 were the results. Nothing wrong with them, exactly, but there's some wheelspinning for no obvious reason. Dany's chapters in the first couple books MOVED, like you knew something serious was going down when you got a Daenarys chapter. Then Book 5, she gets 15 chapters or whatever and the results are more or less: "Dany has dragons. She sits in a fucking city that has no real plot value, and does nothing of interest."

Keep reading though javyn, it's better than damn near anything else that I've run into out there. If he truly pulls a Robert Jordan (in writing terms, not in dying terms) I'll be pissed off, but I don't think that'll happen.

You can tell from the actions of some of the new book 5 characters that he wants to move shit along
    the new Targaeryn kid invading Westeros has got to push the plot along

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I was sure something was going to happen in Mereen in Dance with Dragons. Half of the characters were there, two armies, dragons, everything. They even introduced the idea of Dany getting a new Khalasar on her side at the end, but they left us hanging. If we get Dany, riding a dragon into Mereen with a Khalasar at her back, then a lot of the sins of the last couple of books will be forgiven [/spoilers]

5. otc

otc Senior member

I feel for the people who keep saying it so its my turn to be the dick...but BOOK THREAD FFS.

You can spoil away in the book thread but honestly even innocuous non-spoiler shit would be annoying as hell to me if I hadn't read the books and was just watching the show.

for example, knowing that Dany is still sitting on her ass on the other side of the world at the end of book 5 tells you that there is no way she is jumping back into the melee any time soon in the TV universe. Or knowing that the zombies won't attack (although they actually do sort of attack a few times...just not like an invasion) can pull the suspense out of things.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Can someone who has read a lot of fantasy give me a "recommended if you like" for the Ice and Fire series? I haven't really read much fantasy other than this and Tolkien. I like a lot of stuff that has fantasy elements, like Neal Stephenson, China Mielville and Neil Gaiman, but right now I'm itching for some more sword fighting goodness, but something earthy like Martin.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Oh shit I thought this was the book thread :embar: :fu:

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Raymond Feist's earlier work is pretty good. Lots of interesting, unique elements, not afraid to put key characters at risk. He's been kind of mailing it in for awhile now, but he wrote probably 10 really good books.

The whole Riftwar Saga is excellent, the followup SerpentWar Saga is not quite as good but still very well done.
    Empire Trilogy is good too, tells the "other side" of the story in an interesting way.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Look at Guy Gavriel Kay.

A Song for Arbonne or Tigana for earthy. The Fionavar Tapestry (The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Darkest Road) for something more Tolkeinesque.

There's a scifi/fantasy thread on here somewhere.

lefty

10. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

i'm not trying to be a whiny bitch but please keep anything that resembles a spoiler in the series as either in spoilers tags or keep it in the book thread.

i know it might not seem like a major deal like
    frog people or zombies or whatever
    but these can be big deals to those of us who haven't read the books.

i really liked the riftwar legacy books from feist.

i also like the darkness series from turtledove

11. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

oh and margaery tyrell isn't a bad casting imo. i mean not the hottest chick in the world, but i think she's the hottest in the series thus far.

also the girl greyjoy is ugly as sin. i hope she gets as little screentime as possible.

you don't have to show nudity all the time, HBO. just give us enough to set the scene and then move along -_-

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

At least they didn't go all out and show us a MMF threesome with male-on-male fluffing action.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

only on hbo

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Elric is pretty much pulp though. Nazi's in an underground transdimensional kingdom, lost in the multiverse, fighting the Etneral Hero? Check, check, and check!

15. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

But Riftwar Saga is not the same type of fantasy as A Song of Ice and Fire, which I believe is what he was looking for. I'm a big fantasy guy, but I can't think of any series that are as realistic, gritty, and mostly eschew the use of magic like GRRM's series does.