OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Had the exact same feeling. It felt so weird when it ended, but anyway, I loved it. Tyrion keeps on getting cooler every episode.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The Brienne (sp?) character casting turned out to be pretty damn good. Given that, I renew my disappointment in such things as the Robert B. casting. I mean, in his youth, he was described as, "A large man, though not particularly intelligent, Robert was once a renowned warrior. In his youth he was described as tall, broad shouldered and muscled like a maiden's fantasy." Yes, the character had gone to seed by the time the story opens but the Robert HBO character was not tall, not broad shoulders, and quite obviously never muscled that well. I'm not trying to nitpick but just saying their casting is a bit spotty.

The bedroom scene between Ren and his wife was hilarious. Also shows that she is well trained and accepting in the ways of royalty.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Aren't all 3 of the Baratheon siblings supposed to look similar in the books or was I imagining that.

Also, (haven't seen ep 3 yet), have the frog people shown up yet? Kinda strange that the Theon story is moving along (as of ep 2), but Bran hasn't met the frog brother and sister.

4. Piobaire

Ren was supposed to look like a younger Robert so the effeminate looking Ren in the program is another bit of bad casting IMO. Stannis seems to have been cut from a more gaunt and harsher looking pattern.

5. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

The cream continues to rise to the top! That actor is a master of his craft.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Bad casting or creative license? You need to forget the show being a mirror image of the book.

7. Piobaire

In some cases I can give you this, like Ren, but in other cases like Robert I cannot. An essential part of the back story was Robert was a super kickass warrior and that's how he became King. Casting someone that quite obviously could never have been a kickass warrior clashes with a very essential part of the story, both book and series.

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I don't buy the skinny, girly Loras as one of the best fighters in the kingdom, nor do I buy the skinny, girly Renly as a man who people would follow into battle. They can be gay and still manly.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

in the books renly was written as super gay, so that's right.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

+1, I appreciate Tyrion being Dinklage as opposed to someone who actually looked like the character from the book.

I don't mind the changes, just noticing them out loud I guess.

I don't believe Renly was written as super gay in the novels, seems just implied to me. I don't recall him getting blowjobs from other Lords in the book.

Anyway, I was under the impression Robert, Renly and Stannis were all of around the same build and bearded, with Stannis' beard being a bit more neatly kept than the other 2.

11. Piobaire

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Renly_Baratheon

And keep in mind the quote from the same website, which quotes that book, that describes a young Robert as, " In his youth he was described as tall, broad shouldered and muscled like a maiden's fantasy."

Back to what Munch said: can be gay but doesn't have to be girly.

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

er not renly, i meant loras. loras = super thin and girly.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

the only thing i didnt like about the episode was that theon seemed conflicted - not the case in the books.

14. Piobaire

I think Theon is one of the best things going as far as character. [pop psych]It's clear he has a huge need to belong and please probably due to feelings of rejection or abandonment from his father for being handed over as a hostage. This is his fatal flaw and ends up causing death and misery to thousands.[/pop psych]

This is coming out nicely in the series, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

He's described as very pretty, but he's also a great knight. The guy in the show doesn't even look like he could pick up a sword.