• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So maybe I'm a GoT book snob but something that really bothered me this past episode was....
Stannis boning the red priestess. In the book he was such an upright honorable man, almost like Eddard but even more rigid regarding doing what was "right". They even hinted at it when they were composing the letter when he insisted it be corrected to read Sir Jamie Lannister.
Just a nit picky complaint I guess.

That bothered me too. I also don't like how they made Littlefinger seem cruel and malicious.

Arya's sleeves really bother me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That bothered me too. I also don't like how they made Littlefinger seem cruel and malicious.

That was pretty weird too. Seemed out of the blue - yes I know littlefinger is a slimy opportunist but I thought he'd be a bit more clever. Clumsy writing I think.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So maybe I'm a GoT book snob but something that really bothered me this past episode was....
Stannis boning the red priestess. In the book he was such an upright honorable man, almost like Eddard but even more rigid regarding doing what was "right". They even hinted at it when they were composing the letter when he insisted it be corrected to read Sir Jamie Lannister.

This was definitely implied in the book on multiple occasions

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This was definitely implied in the book on multiple occasions

Book spoiler, don't read TV only peeps!
More than just implied, right? Isn't it necessary for creating the weird shadow baby that kills the guy at Storm's End?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More than just implied, right? Isn't it necessary for creating the weird shadow baby that kills the guy at Storm's End?

yes

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why not discuss this in the book thread?

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wonder what the true extent of George R. R. Martin's involvement is. I don't think he would have changed the story to show Stannis ********** with the Red Priest, or that weird Littlefinger scene.

On the other hand, I thought some of the changes they made in season 1 were great. Showing more of Visery's character gave a better sense of what the Targaryns use to be like and why Viserys was so bitter and angry all the time. They also added a scene where Robert slapped Cerise and they had a conversation about how their marriage never could have worked. I feel like Viserys anger and Robert/Cerise's marriage were two subjects that were not explained well in the first book, so I can see how Martin would have added more to those subjects for the show. Of course HBO would want him associated with the show to legitimize it, but I'd really like to know how much influence he has.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nah, I totally agree.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just watched the second episode. as someone who hasnt read the books, the red presitess thing didnt bother me, but the cruelty of little finger i did not enjoy. seemed a bit of a departure, but that deperate men in desperate situations...

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Littlefinger has no morals. I could definitely see him doing something like that. What I objected to was him showing his cards to Cersei in episode 1, telling her he knows about her and Jaime. Littlefinger would never do something like that. If anything, he would have someone else do it. His plans are much larger scale than that.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why not discuss this in the book thread?

Because it's directly related to a comment someone made about the show?

They also added a scene where Robert slapped Cerise
I believe that was in the book too. The conversation was added, and I think it was a good change. Humanized them a bit.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Littlefinger has no morals. I could definitely see him doing something like that. What I objected to was him showing his cards to Cersei in episode 1, telling her he knows about her and Jaime. Littlefinger would never do something like that. If anything, he would have someone else do it. His plans are much larger scale than that.

good point. i was also surprised he revealed his hand so early, and with no protection around him.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah that was a real blunder did that happen in the book? It seemed pretty out of character to him.

But i think what they were implying is that he loses it a bit when people bring up Lady Stark. Cersei prodded him on that and he got defensive about it. Perhaps his one weakness?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads