Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Unless they change plans, this won't happen. They have already said as much. It sucks and I wish they would allow it.

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

I can see this....since this is an epic fantasy series, you are going to have tons of characters to keep up with, plot twists, all that.

But then again....I have to ask, did you enjoy any other HBO shows? Deadwood, Carnivale, Rome? Maybe not all of those I listed were quite as intricate as GOT, but still pretty damn intricate and possibly confusing (especially Carnivale).

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I get what he's saying about there being a ton of story elements to keep up with for the show. However, apart from my first viewing of the first episode, I didn't have too much trouble following things. However, I did enjoy reading up on the characters/backstory on my free time. I don't follow a lot of series so I enjoy a show that requires some work on my part (at least initially).

PS - if he's having trouble wiht this show, I wonder if he enjoyed something like Deadwood where you can barely understand what they're saying. Luck is tough to follow too.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

Yep that's why I asked....can ya follow something like say Deadwood, but not GOT?

I read the first GOT novel as I was watching the show...so I can't really say GOT was confusing to me, I actually somehow timed it to where I stay just ahead of the show while reading the book all the way until the end.

Deadwood was a little hard to follow in parts, but was so fascinating to me I ate it up.

Carnivale.....well....it's my favorite show that ever aired, and I still can't explain that one.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Dude. . . just. . . dude.

6. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

I see where IDFNL is coming from. I watched the show last season and then started reading the books. I'm halfway through Book 4. It gets more complicated and complex as things go on. I honestly have no clue how they are just going to continue to introduce characters the way they do in the books. I think they are going to have trouble in that aspect and might lose some viewership. While I read I have an iPhone app that is basically a wikipedia of characters. I have to consult it every 20-40 pages - there must be at least a thousand different characters mentioned at this point.

That all being said I love the books and the TV show so far. I think the writers/producers, etc... have work cut out for them to keep the average non-book reader engaged.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Just started Clash Of Kings last night, to have it read by 4/1.

I only just finished the prologue, but man, Stannis don't play.

After seeing the trailer for Season 2, I'm not sure if that was a good casting decision for Stannis...but we'll see.

8. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

I'm not a huge fan, either. I pictured someone older and harder.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

IIRC (how sad is that, I just read his age LAST NIGHT), he is in his mid 30s...but yeah, was definitely expecting someone harder. That actor looks like the weener looking dude in Brazil

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Does The Simpsons do original opening credits anymore?

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I enjoyed that Simpsons opener. Thanks.

This site does Arrested Development quotes over GoT images. Fucking hilarious:

http://arrestedwesteros.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

^ That is amazeballs. I'm laughing silently so hard at my desk

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Funny, but I have never heard of carnivale, never seen deadwood (not much of a westerns guy), and never watched rome.

Although I do like Luck where I seem to be a minority. The Wire was pretty intricate and I lapped that up.

Its not that I need a level of numbness to the show to engage with it, I actually enjoy intricate stuff (for example Gosford Park is one of my favorite movies). I think I have found my reasonable limit though with GOT. I'm just not willing to invest that much thought. No time for the books, can barely read a magazine nowadays w/ life.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

15. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

But you have enough time for SF? :hide: