• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks but I kind of see where HBO is coming from. this show has to be insanely expensive to produce and to make it profitable they need to get the most out of it, and they are in the business of selling HBO subscriptions. I'm guessing HBO Go will be something you can purchase independently before too long.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lets hear it for propping up dying business models!

edit: although wtf is up with the lack of a DVD release yet? You would think they would have better luck driving people into HBO subscriptions for Season 2 by getting them to watch the DVD than by trying to get them to subscribe to HBO just to watch season 1 streaming online through hbo go (thus demonstrating to a bunch of consumers that they just wasted money on an antiquated content delivery method and that streaming is clearly the future).

I know there is still time...but you would think they might want to get the DVDs out in time that a first round of discounts would hit and provide enough time for people to make it through with Netflix rentals before S2 starts up.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tough ****. The cheap bastard should get a job and cable or satallite.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shut up, Joffrey

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you mean the majority of people don't torrent hd rips and burn them?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

lets hear it for propping up dying business models!
edit: although wtf is up with the lack of a DVD release yet? You would think they would have better luck driving people into HBO subscriptions for Season 2 by getting them to watch the DVD than by trying to get them to subscribe to HBO just to watch season 1 streaming online through hbo go (thus demonstrating to a bunch of consumers that they just wasted money on an antiquated content delivery method and that streaming is clearly the future).

Its coming out 3/16, which is about a month before season 2 IIRC. That's HBO's standard practice - release right before the new season starts.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched S1, but this show, other than the tatties and ass on that super hot blond, wasnt very well executed. Unless she's tittied up in every scene, wont watch

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I watched S1, but this show, other than the tatties and ass on that super hot blond, wasnt very well executed. Unless she's tittied up in every scene, wont watch

What are some specific complaints you had? And have you read the book(s)? I'm always curious to hear what people think, especially ones who haven't read it.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are some specific complaints you had? And have you read the book(s)? I'm always curious to hear what people think, especially ones who haven't read it.

No, never read the books.

Random thoughts..

The show is too intricate. Too many names. You cant keep up with all the nuances unless you memorize a bunch of stuff.

Some characters were good. Some sucked. That brother of the blonde hottie was a total idiot as an example. And the incest bro sis kid, total one dimensional ****. I like the midget.

Shows ponderous. Too video-gamey. Way too many plot threads. Too much blather about honor. Too many characters. Too many fights. Just too heavy.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt that. HBO has an obligation to the cable providers. They won't want to anger them.

I think it also has to do with the fact that cable companies around the world have only just started airing it. Skytv has just launched a new channel with HBO and similar related programmes - it's part of their marketing campaign that these shows are on there. If the dvds/legal downloads are available it's not so attractive.

Personally i'm not paying extra monthly fees for a channel that plays 1 programme i want to watch. I'm also not waiting for the seasons to finish around the world before we can legally access it.

I realise that companies don't want to piss off their distributors, but they need to get in the real world here.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Random thoughts..
The show is too intricate. Too many names. You cant keep up with all the nuances unless you memorize a bunch of stuff.
Some characters were good. Some sucked. That brother of the blonde hottie was a total idiot as an example. And the incest bro sis kid, total one dimensional ****. I like the midget.
Shows ponderous. Too video-gamey. Way too many plot threads. Too much blather about honor. Too many characters. Too many fights. Just too heavy.

You definitely have some valid points. Too many fights, though? I thought it was just the opposite.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Random thoughts..

This is my biggest complaint about the show. Except for a few characters that really stood out, I have no idea whose who. I still enjoyed the show but it's not enough to get me to sit down and rewatch S1 again and again to pick up on every little nuance.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is my biggest complaint about the show. Except for a few characters that really stood out, I have no idea whose who. I still enjoyed the show but it's not enough to get me to sit down and rewatch S1 again and again to pick up on every little nuance.

I think the key is to watch it with someone who read the books. I watched it with a pair of friends who aren't the type to ever read those books (and they were convinced to watch it by another friend who watched it with her book-reading fiance).

It really did seem to help to have someone who could answer questions at the end of the episode like "who the **** is that guy?". It wasn't too hard for me to separate the characters since I knew the extra backstory and while I had to be careful not to present spoilers (if someone tries to speculate about the future I usually just don't respond at all), it helped them keep track of the characters who get lost in the speed of the TV show.

If you don't have someone to watch it with, I think some people have created very useful charts online that can keep you informed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads