1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is a really good point. It's pretty clear by now Jon is Azor Ahai, getting resurrected and all through the Lord of Light, but is Dany Nissa Nissa? Maybe that answers Sam's question of would she give up her crown? Well, not only her crown, but her life to get this done.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Azorahai? Nizza Nizza? I’m so lost. How could everything in the show hinge on something they omitted from the books?

3. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

I hope the ending doesn't track with one of the prophesies. One of my favorite elements of the show, and books, is that most prophesies are bullshit. An ending that adheres to a prophesy also seems like one of the biggest fantasy tropes.

4. noob in 89

Yeah, they already have like four secret princes, which is pushing it.

5. Piobaire

Brogeorge, it was all through the books.

6. noob in 89

I’ve still got a slim volume of Proust left to read, measles is looming, and there are no guarantees.

7. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Distinguished Member

One thing I think people misunderstand about GRRM is that they assume he is very trope-subverting. I don't think he is: his writing (which I enjoy) is full of tropes. His greatest trick was misdirecting who the main characters were in ASOIAF. What other writers would have treated as a prequel or an opening chapter formed the first three books of the series. Readers get emotionally attached to the Starks and then watch all the key players get killed off (Ned, Catelyn, Rob). We're then left with characters who's motivations we completely understand as they mirror our own.

Outside of that many of the character arcs could be called "tropey." The bastard/rejected son becoming the King/Lord (Jon, Samwell, Tyrion, Gendry), the arrogant/tragic man discovering purpose & humility (Jaime, Sandor, Bronn TBD), the weak maiden finding strength (Sansa/Arya).

Granted these are generalizations and EVERY story relies on tropes in some way to make the characters relatable. I just wouldn't be surprised if the ending is a bit more fairy-tale-esque than people are expecting (albeit with some bittersweet or painful moments).

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I never really thought Arya to be a weak maiden. She always seemed ready to rumble even from an early age when she had more skill with the bow and arrow than her brother.

9. Piobaire

As far as tropes remember there's really only two stories that get told. The hero has an adventure or a stranger comes to town.

10. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Distinguished Member

True - but she was 11

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

And she made her first kill at like 13 or something like that. Sansa fits the weak maiden becoming strong trope to a T.

12. beargonefishing

I am conflicted because I kinda want to see everything burn and Cersi surviving as the ruler of new Valyria, but I also want Sansa to be left as the winner of the game.

13. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I'm glad to see gendry back in action.

14. Piobaire

I think we also need to acknowledge this whole thing got away from GRRM and the show runners are just trying to tie this mess up in a way that won't totally piss off the fan base.

15. beargonefishing

Unpossible, completely unpossible.