• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Remember the first episode, where they turned Drogo into a ******? It was an equally baffling choice then. Not that there is any shortage of **** in the books, but in both of these cases the **** runs very much counter to the characterization.

Another baffling change was turning Jon Snow into a weak little oath breaker rather than someone who was playing a role and got caught up in it. Leaving out the "do anything asked of you" mantra and just having him pork Ygritte in a moment of weakness really changes his character, and for no apparent benefit.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, why is Jaime a creepy ****** now?

In the books, he and brienne don't get back to kings landing until joffrey is already dead...there is still creepy deathbed sex, but at least it is consentual

i thought HBO was raising the depravity bar with incest (with different brother sister combos too), incest sex induced child attempted murder, ****, now incest ****.

- then again my wife is always more angry/affected/saddened when they kill a dire wolf so go figure...

it would've been a new HBO depravity bar raised if the table was knocked lose and their (product of incest) kid was knocked down onto them while having ****/rough/sex, or maybe just his hand.. for dramatic effect.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're trying to make Circe more sympathetic while still letting her be a crazy *****.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

- then again my wife is always more angry/affected/saddened when they kill a dire wolf so go figure...

it would've been a new HBO depravity bar raised if the table was knocked lose and their (product of incest) kid was knocked down onto them while having ****/rough/sex, or maybe just his hand.. for dramatic effect.

I too thought the killing of the direwolf was the most upsetting scene :(

And I totally expected Joffrey's body to fall onto them...you can see Cersei's hand grab and start to pull down on the tablecloth before the scene cuts away. Maybe they fully intended for that to be the end of the scene and had a change of heart. It would have been the most hilarious part of the episode

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another baffling change was turning Jon Snow into a weak little oath breaker rather than someone who was playing a role and got caught up in it. Leaving out the "do anything asked of you" mantra and just having him pork Ygritte in a moment of weakness really changes his character, and for no apparent benefit.

Or having Cat release Jaime before hearing about Bran and Rickon. In the book it's transparently foolish but understandable as the actions of a mother dealing with monumental grief. In the show it just makes her look stupid and weak.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At least they created a way for him to be north of the Wall when Mance attacks because the original way just won't work anymore. That said, someone is going to need a fleet of helicopters to enter that battle.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or having Cat release Jaime before hearing about Bran and Rickon. In the book it's transparently foolish but understandable as the actions of a mother dealing with monumental grief. In the show it just makes her look stupid and weak.

The destruction of Cat's character was the most angering part of the entire show changes. She and Robb's dialog was changed in season 2 - reversed in fact. She wanted to stay with him to be at his War Councils and he wanted her to go back to be with the boys. In the show they flipped the script. And, then, of course, she released Jaime without knowing the boys were "dead." It eliminated her motivation and made her a worthless figure. Plus, it got rid of my favorite chapter in the book when she is eating at Riverrun with Brienne and is totally broken by the Raven's news.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things:
1) it's about time Littlefinger stepped up to fill the creepy sociopath void now that Joffery's gone,
2) Stannis needs to get his **** together. I'm tired of watching him talk about the need to act, not be a page in someone else's history book, etc., then just pace around the Painted Table like a mopey dumbass.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All of the scenes were melodramatic to the point of verging on soap opera. Even the scene with Tyrion and Podrick was sappy.

Tywin, however, made the episode worth watching and worth watching again.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the **** thing, the AV club has a review where they posit that there *might* be textual evidence for Jaime being a ******.

Basically, the story is told through Jaime's eyes and he reports to the reader that her protestations were only along the lines of "no, the septons are nearby" and later "we have to be more careful now that father is in town"...when really maybe she protested harder. Of note, it is the last time that they ******** and their relationship rapidly deteriorates after that event (just as it already has in the show).
I'm not sure I buy it--I don't think GRRM would bother to misrepresent that, and it destroys his efforts towards redemption.

I also saw that the director of that episode (not Benioff or Weiss) didn't think think it was really **** and that she came around in the end (sure didn't look that way)...and the whole turning consentual sex into obvious **** and then claiming its not really **** thing has my feminist facebook friends fairly upset.
I suppose we will know the real answer next week--if Cersei simply behaves like she had a regrettable sexual encounter, we will know that the director is just an idiot.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

On the **** thing, the AV club has a review where they posit that there *might* be textual evidence for Jaime being a ******.

I also saw that the director of that episode (not Benioff or Weiss) didn't think think it was really **** and that she came around in the end (sure didn't look that way)...and the whole turning consentual sex into obvious **** and then claiming its not really **** thing has my feminist facebook friends fairly upset.

Yeah, my anti skull-splitting facebook friends have been pretty pissed for a while now.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IME, one of the things that happens before you stop loving someone is that you start to lose respect for them. I think that's what they were trying to show there. Odd way to do it though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think it raises the question, "If your sister has had three children by you can it ever really be '****'?"

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the director just botched the way the scene was supposed to be portrayed (i.e. closer to the book).

I really wish i could filter my social media by Game of Thrones + ****. Fight your fight or whatever but after a while you're just belaboring the point and being a hashtag activist.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it raises the question, "If your sister has had three children by you can it ever really be '****'?"

No MEANS NO!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics