OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

I am reading the novel now, it's great. Definitely trash, but this is high fantasy...know any of it that isn't trash? I like it for what it is, the best fantasy novel ever written (that I know of, and I used to be a fan of the genre). He's no James Joyce don't get me wrong, but he is the Frank Herbert of the genre IMO. If you really want to see what trash fantasy is like, pick up a novel with the words "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" written above the title.
    James Joyce is over-rated, as are most of the "great" authors (with the exception of Hemingway and Shakespeare.) Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror often get labeled as "trash" just because of their genre. I'd argue that George RR Martin's works are as good (or better) than many of the so-called classics of English literature. Not just his Game of Thrones books. His "Sandkings" short story is one of the most compelling pieces of fiction I've read. (WAAAY better than the stupid Bartleby the Scrivener drivel I was forced to read and analyze back in school.)

2. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

James Joyce is over-rated, as are most of the "great" authors (with the exception of Hemingway and Shakespeare.)

Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror often get labeled as "trash" just because of their genre. I'd argue that George RR Martin's works are as good (or better) than many of the so-called classics of English literature. Not just his Game of Thrones books. His "Sandkings" short story is one of the most compelling pieces of fiction I've read. (WAAAY better than the stupid Bartleby the Scrivener drivel I was forced to read and analyze back in school.)

So-called "genre literature" always has, and probably always will, be shit on.

3. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

James Joyce is over-rated, as are most of the "great" authors (with the exception of Hemingway and Shakespeare.) Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror often get labeled as "trash" just because of their genre. I'd argue that George RR Martin's works are as good (or better) than many of the so-called classics of English literature. Not just his Game of Thrones books. His "Sandkings" short story is one of the most compelling pieces of fiction I've read. (WAAAY better than the stupid Bartleby the Scrivener drivel I was forced to read and analyze back in school.)
    It's worth noting that Shakespeare's material, back in his day, was considered populist and broad-audience entertainment. I don't think it was ever considered "trash," per se, but it was not intended to be high literature. Similarly, Charles Dickens's work actually was considered "trash" back in his day. Dickens was roughly the equivalent of his generation's Stephen King or John Grisham. There is a strong bias toward works of the past, and against works of the present. Over the long run, the cream eventually rises to the top, regardless of era.

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I just started watching this show. It's pretty fun.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

James Joyce is over-rated, as are most of the "great" authors (with the exception of Hemingway and Shakespeare.)

Woah, overrated compared to whom? Who else besides Malcolm Lowry can top Joyce?

IMO Shakespeare is overrated heh.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

It's worth noting that Shakespeare's material, back in his day, was considered populist and broad-audience entertainment. I don't think it was ever considered "trash," per se, but it was not intended to be high literature. Similarly, Charles Dickens's work actually was considered "trash" back in his day. Dickens was roughly the equivalent of his generation's Stephen King or John Grisham.

There is a strong bias toward works of the past, and against works of the present. Over the long run, the cream eventually rises to the top, regardless of era.

Well fucking put. I guess it makes sense why I put Less than Zero right up there on the same level as Madame Bovary heheh

7. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Well fucking put. I guess it makes sense why I put Less than Zero right up there on the same level as Madame Bovary heheh

Less Than Zero is nowhere close to the level of Madame Bovary. Sorry; can't agree with you on that one. :p

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Less Than Zero is nowhere close to the level of Madame Bovary. Sorry; can't agree with you on that one. :p
    Hahaha. edit: shut up

9. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Woah, overrated compared to whom? Who else besides Malcolm Lowry can top Joyce?

IMO Shakespeare is overrated heh.

They're both overrated.

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Shakespeare is in no conceivable way overrated. That's like saying Albert Einstein is an overrated physicist.

11. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Agreed, that is a pretty stupid statement.

Aside from being amazing to read, he is one of the major reference points of all English writing.

12. alopecia

alopecia Member

How can Shakespeare NOT be overrated? Back to the subject at hand, George RR Martin has written some other great sci-fi stuff that I recommend, like Hunter's Run, and some short horror story collections.

13. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Shakespeare is in no conceivable way overrated. That's like saying Albert Einstein is an overrated physicist.

Agreed, that is a pretty stupid statement.

Aside from being amazing to read, he is one of the major reference points of all English writing.

As for your first point.. that's opinion. I don't enjoy reading Shakespeare. As for your second point.. so is Moby Dick, which is a godawful book.

14. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Moby Dick is also amazing, though you are more or less obliged to skip the chapters on bookbinding and whale fat lest you die of boredom. And Melville has had about one onethousandth of the literary influence of Shakespeare.

15. HotlantaHoward

HotlantaHoward Senior member

Shakespeare = Overrated
    Ellis = Overrated
    Dickens = Overrated
    Jordan = Overrated

Martin = Underrated
    Wilde = Underrated

Dostoevsky = Correctly Rated
    Amis Jr = Correctly Rated