1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

separate prophecies
    The Dragon has three heads is about how many dragon riders there will be and that the Targaryen sigil has a three-headed dragon. Considering Dany birthed 3, it would make sense that there be three riders.

I always find it very obvious that Lightbringer is essentially the same name as Dawn, the sword of Ser Arthur Dayne. Dayne was the last Kingsguard guarding Lyanna and Jon Snow (theory) at the Tower of Joy and would have killed Ned but for the intervention of Howland Reed. Ned returned Dawn to his sister, Ashara, who threw herself from her window in morning for either her brother, her still born child, or isn't really dead. Side-note, Ser Barristan was in love with her but never told her.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Major spoiler.

Are you sure it's three riders? What if warg-Jon moves his spirit into one of the dragons now he's dead?

1 person likes this.
  3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Watching the series from season 1 again. Man the actors were so young back in those days. And Arya gained so much girth.

How was Ned Starks father and brother executed by the Mad King?

4. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

5. scurvyfreedman

Rickard - his father - was tried for treason for Brandon - his brother - threatening the Crown Prince. He chose trial by combat. King Aeyrs chose fire as his champion and roasted Rickard in his armor in the throne room suspended from above a bonfire. Meanwhile, Brandon was tied by the neck and he tried to save his father and strangled himself to death.

6. scurvyfreedman

I wouldn't count on it.

I don't think Jon is dead. He may be placed in an ice cell. Mayhaps dead but burned by Melisandre and reborn as Azor Ahai. Who knows. For the watch!

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Terrible episode. Completely unrealistic. From make believe creatures like giants and wooly mammoths attacking a 700 foot wall of ice, to Jon Snow's pitiful bastard sword technique. GRRM just needs to learn more about physics before he tries to write any more fantasy novels. I demand nothing less.

I think I'm going to give up on this mess, and go back to watching shows that are actually grounded in reality like Trailer Park Boys.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. javyn

javyn Senior member

No. I don't understand the collective boner over Ygritte when ya got the Red Witch and Margaery who are both about 1 million times hotter.

Yes

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A boner for Ygritte =! no boner for Margaery. Margaery offering some anal to Renly was very boner inducing.

2 people like this.
  10. javyn

javyn Senior member

She just seems broke face to me. If I was going to marry her I'd need her weight in silver.

2 people like this.
  11. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I read that waaaaaaay back in the late 80s. Had no idea or just never put 2 and 2 together that GRRM wrote it [​IMG]

12. Rumpelstiltskin

No one knows with either and that's the god's honest truth

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Marry? A shag in the snow, mate.

14. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

3 people like this.
  15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I wasn't exactly keeping a running tally, but it felt like a LOT more Night's Watch got killed than they really reflected at the end. They're supposed to only have ~100 guys and they showed Tormund, the various Thenns, and Ygritte kill at least 30 by themselves.

Also think it would have been more effective if the wildling actually had shitty scavenged and improvised weapons. The Thenns all get shiny broadaxes? They were supposed to be lucky to have a metal weapon at all.

16. scurvyfreedman

I think the Thenns should have bronze weapons. They don't have steel, at least in the books. They are supposed to be more primitive and speak in the old tongue.

17. Rumpelstiltskin

The Thenns had bronze armour and weapons if I recall.
    steel > bronze

18. Rumpelstiltskin

Not more primitive because they actually had a structured society which set them apart from the free folk

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Javyn's an old-fashioned, one fantasy-babe kind of guy.

1 person likes this.
  20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Margaery is a naughty fucking temptress. That actress does a great job - she also did a boner inducing job as Anne Boleyn in the Tudors

1 person likes this.