• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vs how many more books were sold due to the show? Those box sets (and a ton of hardcover ADWD) were selling like hotcakes to people who had no interest before the show. HBO didn't want the show to go forward if they couldn't end it and with the way print media is dying, I'm sure the publishers would take a fat royalty check + a bunch of new sales now over a possible reduction in sales on the final two books in the future.

The show has been great for the books. As I pointed out that makes the publishers even more determined to protect the franchise because as munchausen says...

... but I bet the royalties from the tv series dwarf what they're making selling the books.

They're making 100 million dollars from the sale of the 15 million or so books. Who's going to **** that up for a few million dollars in royalties?

Lefty, get your point from the publisher's perspective. But why would HBO shackle themselves to a contract where they're reliant on a guy that takes up to 6 years to get an installment completed? I suppose they could simply cancel the show in the event any serious problems come up. As of now they're gauranteed a 4-5 years of great press and ratings (i'm actually not sure of the numbers for GoT relative to other/previous HBO shows). They may just walk away if Martin puts them in a bind. What if some viewers switch/cancel their subscriptions, it was bound to happen at some point anyway. Plus there'll always be another show to bring new viewers to the channel.

4.4 million viewers on the last episode, that's why. HBO needs martin more than the publishers/martin need hbo.

It going to be interesting as the show is a slog to produce and will be more and more expensive as the main actors demand more compensation for giving up a decade of their lives. HBO will be faced with a tough decision - shut it down or end it quickly. And I don'r believe the latter will be an option.

Here's what I think - everyone will deliver their end. Martin probably has reams of chapters ready to go. The show will slow down next year and still have two massive books to get through.

If I could engineer it I would have the final book and the show dovetail into a perfect simultaneous release. It will be a geek's wet dream.

lefty

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would be frantically turning the pages while trying to follow what's going on onscreen

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sudden death of James Gandolfini has made me even more terrified that GRRM is going to drop dead soon.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The sudden death of James Gandolfini has made me even more terrified that GRRM is going to drop dead soon.

RIP james. :(

he was one my favorite actors, and ill miss seeing his work.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe. I don't follow the guy and have only read asoiaf and Sandkings, but isn't he a fanboy at heart? Attending all the conventions to geek out with the lads?

lefty

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Maybe. I don't follow the guy and have only read asoiaf and Sandkings, but isn't he a fanboy at heart? Attending all the conventions to geek out with the lads? 

lefty

Well, apparently now he has the choice of hanging out with female Appreciation stars looking to get cast in the show or convention fanbois.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZOMG BOOK RELEASE UPDATE!!!!

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister just told me she auditioned for a role for season 4.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did she get a call back?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads