1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Honestly, if you want to have in depth episode discussions (beyond reactionary "that was cool" stuff which can be done in a spoiler-tag thread), then this is not the place*.

You need to go to Reddit or a GoT specific forum. That way you can make threads based on individual topics. On reddit, people seem to be good about doing things like tagging each individual thread as "No Spoilers" or "Spoilers All" or "Spoilers through S4e7" (so you can even read it safely if you are behind an episode). and then within the posts, people tend to tag their spoilers not just with spoiler tags, but with tags to specify which book the spoiler is from. Hell, when the new book came out, they were flashing spoiler warnings per chapter...so you could browse forums while reading.

Those places are a bit too much for me--I might go there for reference, but it's too deep in the weeds to hang out there regularly. This thread is much better for hanging out, geeking out a bit, but not having to provide page # citations for every claim.

*And honestly, having in depth discussion of the show without the source material being available just seems like folly. You can have a certain level of show discussion--the characters and how they are acted vary from the books, motivations and reasoning are never explicit, not all of the future has yet been written by GRRM--but there is a limit to how much you can theorize about upcoming plot points. If you care that much, go read the books (or wiki it all stitches style) and join the discussion in the present tense...its probably a better use of time than trying to figure out how Robb's army is going to mount a successful assault on King's Landing when you are only halfway done with season 3.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I don't like how Robb's name has an extra B

2 people like this.
  3. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

And yet it's "Jon" Snow, not "John" Snow. Rich brother taking the bastard's extra consonant allocation. Totally unfair.

6 people like this.
  4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

5. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Boring.

6. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I would bet his team has a general idea on what his vision is in case he croaks.

9. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

I'm trying to find the interview source, but I recall that Martin said - should he die before finishing - all his notes are to be destroyed and that no one be permitted to finish the books in his place.

He's shared a rough draft of an ending for the TV series with Benioff and Weiss, but it would definitely pale against what the novel's could have been.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

"As for when the sixth book, The Winds of Winter, will come out, Groell still doesn't know — but she says that Martin at least appears to be plugging away. 'I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013 in order to receive a contracted payment...'"

So let me get this straight- the last time he submitted anything to his editor was 14 months ago? At that pace, we're looking at a book every 5-7 years, which means book 8 would come out around 2035, when he 80+. Yeah, that's realistic.

He's totally going to Robert Jordan this series.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I came to that conclusion about 4 years ago. Memory of Light was such a let down.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I wonder how many meatball sandwiches GRRM can chow down in one sitting.

3 people like this.
  13. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Yeah, I've been saying for years that he doesn't actually want to finish- he's bored with it and is only writing it out of obligation. In fairness, I kinda understand; he's been working on the same thing for 20 years. That's gotta get tedious.

I think if he can give HBO enough of a framework to close out the series in 7, maybe 8 seasons, then he will have earned enough money to survive the breech of contract suit when he tells his publisher to fuck off. However, if he thinks he can ever live a single day of the remainder of his life without some obsessed fan accosting him about the books, he is seriously delusional. Then again, that's probably been true for the last five years or so anyway...

14. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

When your father is best friends with the King and there are a lot of people named after the King, you add a "B" to differentiate.

Robert Baratheon
    Robb Stark
    Robert Arryn (called Robin on the show just to not confuse stupid viewers)
    Robar Royce
    Robett Glover

I'm sure I'm missing some.

Lots more Jons. None with the H.

Jon Arryn
    Jon Snow (obviously named for Jon Arryn)
    Jon Connington
    GreatJon Umber
    SmalJon Umber
    Jonerys Targaryen

Lots of Jeynes include two major Jeynes who have been written out, presumably.
    Jeyne Poole
    Jeyne Westerling

An amusing number of Waldas and Walders.

Pates out the ass.

Only one Patchface.

1 person likes this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

For the record I do not think we should change how we're using spoilers here just because there's a kiddie pool next door. I think we carry on with the same conventions that have worked the last 5k or so posts.

5 people like this.
  16. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

Here here! [​IMG]

17. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

[​IMG]

18. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

19. gort

gort Senior member

I don't get what's so hard about "use spoilers if you are talking about something from the books that hasn't happened in the show yet."

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Where the hell is Stitchy?