OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

To perhaps belabor my earlier point, where GRRM is pissing everyone off is that he's spitting in the face of this Hollywood law of nature that "doing the right thing" will be rewarded. Ned lost his head because he tried to crown the right king, not the 'smart' one (and stupidly announcing to Cersei what he was going to do). Robb ate crossbow bolt because he followed his heart and was so principled that he beheaded his strongest bannerman. These are things that are supposed to make you the winner at movie's end.

it also catches up with Jon Snow. It makes me fear for Daenarys as well. GRRM seems to delight in killing off the do-gooders

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

Well color me shocked; of course you are.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Ya and keep in mind in the books, Robb is 16. I'd say that makes his mistake kind of excusable. At least in our world.

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

I think in the last book Bran and Arya will finally be reunited, but won't realize who they are until after they have banged.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Not far off here. That's what I am doing. The series from Audible and it does feel like it takes forever to even finish a chapter. You can increase the playback speed, but that never sounds right to me.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You're confusing George R. R. Martin with George Lucas.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[I'm not sure Jon Snow fits your theory, although I take your point. If "following your heart" (or your ego or whatever is the same as doing the right thing, then fine. But I think it's arguable at best whether the Jon Snow choice I assume you're alluding to is the "principled" choice./SPOILER]

8. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Probably gonna catch hell for this, but am I the only one that hopes Jon Snow is well and truly dead? I love the kid and all, but I'm tried of GRRM pulling this bait and switch guess who isn't really dead shit. Bran and Rickon, Davos, Aegon Targaryen, the Mountain (sort of), at least a couple more I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Everyone loves to bitch about how he's killing off major characters left and right, but no one says shit when somebody pops as not dead after all.

9. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Bran and Rickon was a brutal death, especially the scene where Cat tells Brienne over dinner at Riverrun. It's the nature of the unreliable narrator telling a story via Raven hearsay. It was a perfect setup, though and really made her release of the Kingslayer make sense. Unlike the show where it just made her terrible weak. And, it also made Robb seek comfort in Jeyne Westerling. Plus, we were all setup for it given Eddard's death at the end of the first book. We knew anyone could die at any time.

General rules- if someone is hit in the back of the head with something that could kill them at the end of a chapter, or they are left for dead- they're not dead- Theon, Arya, Sandor Clegane (The Hound is dead, but Sandor is at peace)

If someone who has something to gain and tells you someone else is dead it's probably not true- Theon w/ Bran and Rickon, Manderly w/ Davos, Master of Ships w/ Loras

If you see the person die on page they're dead with the caveat that some supernatural powers/magic can bring them back- Lord of Light, Maesters who dabble in necromancy - Beric Dondarrion, Lady Stoneheart, Robert Strong- wow his character is so stupid

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

your spoiler is not visible without being quoted. the coding is off. :)

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm completely inept with the coding. But consider it an extra layer of protection.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I thought you were trolling me with a non response :lol:

13. in stitches

do they sell that at rite aid?

14. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. in stitches