OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I don't even think Walder makes it that far. They've proven that they can't be trusted, and they've made some enemies you don't want to fuck with. If Tywin was still alive I know he would take him out. The chaotic situation that the Lannisters and the Crown are in might be the only thing keeping Frey alive right now. Manderly and Lady Stoneheart are slowly eating away at his forces. If Stannis ever makes it that far he will feed the lot of them to the fire. Walder fucked up.

GRRM doesn't do happy endings, but he does do retribution. The one guy that I could see not getting his in the end is Littlefinger, simply because he has nothing to trip him up. He has no pride in his family or homeland, no honor or dignity or morals. He's an organized sociopath, and now he's in line to rule the Riverlands, is in control of the Vale, and has plans to take the North. If he can find a way to command loyalty from families that are older and more powerful than his (which will be difficult to be sure, but I'm sure he has a plan), then he has a lot to bargain with anyone. OTOH, I have a suspicion Sansa might kill him.

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Walder Frey isn't even on Arya's list. She's got people she's interested in, and more likely than not, she kills them through unseen, non-martial means
    like the strangler - which she will give to Cersei and be the Valonquar - little sis

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Don't be too sure Walder does not indeed fuck a few more teenage girls and then die of old age. I'm beginning to wonder what role Jamie will have moving forward, as at the point the books are at now, he literally is just riding around and making peace. I could see him becoming the new ruler's Hand (ironic, I know) and helping imbue the land with a new peace. That's something I could see GRRM doing; taking the first vile character we meet in the book and turning him into the realm's peacemaker.

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Valar morghulis

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

lol, thanks!
    of all the assessments so far, i agree with this one. also, if he had hot daughters, like was brought out for edmure, why didnt he just show them to rob at the get go and avoid all this mess.

6. in stitches

that would be wonderful. i hate that little fucker.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You know nothing, In Stitches.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

And don't forget that in the book (I haven't been watching the show this season, so I have no idea), Robb was in the process of taking his army north, intent on abandoning the Freys and the rest of his southern allies to the Lannisters. And this was after the Stark army had been pillaging and raping their way across his own allies' lands for years (or at least a long time, I don't really remember).

Frey ended a futile war was causing immeasurable suffering and left the whole country unprepared for the winter...

9. otc

otc Senior member

Frey's a bitch. That's why he showed up late (its not so much the lateness as the fact that he was clearly just going to show up "for" whoever had just won). He has no loyalty himself so its not surprising that he doesn't get much in return. The Tullys lord over him, he is pledged to serve them--extracting such a toll for use of his bridge was unconscionable and its pretty hard to believe that deal would have stuck.

In the show, Robb was ready to go take Casterly Rock as soon as he got the pesky wedding out of the way. It was a bold and risky move, but he was not retreating back to the north.

10. in stitches

while true, he should have offered up a spicy dish to get robbs attention. if he was so mad about people sneering at him, a simple, "hey, here is my smoking hot kid for you to marry," would have gone a long way to end that derision he so hated.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It's kind of a spoiler, but:

One of the major themes of the story in the books as it goes on is how futile Robb Stark's war was and how much the civilian population suffered because of it.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

fuck it. I'm sick of this...I just bought the books.

I hope the audiobooks are good but maybe I made a mistake, because I remember almost getting into an accident while listening while driving to the girl with the dragon tatoo and sequels from audible.

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Audiobooks? I look forward to your take when you finish listening to them in 2021.

14. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I have heard they are very good. Haven't listened myself. The newer version of AFfC audiobook has the same narrator as the others, but the original had someone else and it made fans angry.

15. in stitches

it has seemed futile for a while now, to me. more of a revenge quest than anything. which is what the starks seem to be all about, or will be all about shortly.