Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Only to the extreme book nerds who caught a description inconsistency in the face of direct textual evidence that she couldn't have actually become pregnant because of the moon tea.

Although its a pretty compelling theory...the way GRRM writes, it was entirely possible that there was a hidden away stark bride and child. Unfortunately the theory doesn't talk about what role an unborn child might actually play...unless you expect GRRM to write 5 more books or jump 10 years in the future, the kid can't be anything more than a figurehead.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

When the doors are closed, I knew there will be a turkey shoot. And I didn't read the book or spoil myself.

Shit like this happened so frequently in history...

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

well, i was watching with my brother, who had no idea about anything, and as soon as those doors closed he tuned to me and said, shit it about to go down isnt it? i just said, keep watching. he did, and his was all, WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTT??? he loved the surprise and was blown away.

but, for my tastes, that surprise would have made me really mad and angry at the show, and ruined my night, as i said before. i was able to enjoy it much more knowing it was happening, and already having come to peace with it/it being less of a shocker.

its just how i roll. hell, if im watching a movie and it gets too intense, ill wiki it real quick just to chillax myself.

i know that is not normal, but its what works for me.

4. worakl

worakl Senior member

It's okay stitches. [​IMG]

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Considering that birth control pills are not 100% I'm sure one can slip past moon tea once in a while. As a figurehead the kid could be quite powerful. Look at the moves being made to bring Rickon back.

I agree that it will come to nothing. Martin's probably happy he doesn't have to write her anymore.

It was impossible to watch that door being closed and not cue to the idea that something was going to happen. It was telegraphed.

lefty

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013

6. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

They weren't the biggest ally in the books. His bannermen all had similar size armies comprising his host. In the show they whittled that down to Bolton, Karstark, and Frey. That's despite having the Umbers featured in Season 1. Cerwyn, Glover, Flint, Mormont, Manderly, Ryswell, Locke, and Dustin all comprised his army. Only the Reeds didn't really send anyone. Plus, he merged his army with the Riverlands army comprised off all of the houses loyal to the Tullys - who were his biggest ally given that they are also a Great House with many houses sworn to them.

Frey's bridge is important and they have a lot of men, but it's really overblown on the show.

7. worakl

worakl Senior member

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Goddammit Ataturk.

9. gort

gort Senior member

Started reading book 1. Just finished the first chapter where Dany is being prepped to marry Drogo. :satisfied:

Need to try to make sure I fit time to read at least one chapter a day. I usually end up in front of the TV then bed.

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The Starks have contempt for the Freys because the Freys (or at least Walder) are contemptible. They're Tully bannermen, and should have been willing to do whatever necessary to ensure a Stark/Tully victory. Instead they take advantage of the desperate situation to raise their status through a bunch of marriages under duress. And then when that doesn't work out, he goes completely traitor against both his king and his lord, all while breaking one of their culture's most basic taboos against harming guests in your home. Robb and Cat might have been foolish at times, but Walder is a traitor and a hypocrite and we will all cheer when he finally gets his.

11. otc

otc Senior member

Knowing GRRM, nobody will get to Walder Frey before he dies of old age. Arya will be breaking into his castle, ready to murder him with a thousand stabs from needle in retribution for her family, and she will bust in just in time to see their maester declare him dead. She will then haunt the castle, dispatching another Frey every fortnight in a psychotic stupor brought on by depression at not being able to kill Walder herself.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

No they didn't. The way I remember it, Frey's force was equal to a quarter of the entire army when he joined and an even greater proportion of the cavalry, which was the force Robb was leading in all the battles he kept winning. The Riverlands got preemptive striked, and most of them scattered after the initial victories. Remember?

Like Frey said, he's got conflicting oaths. And what did you expect him to do? Throw his lot in with a rebellion led by a 14-year-old boy and an incompetent when they're outnumbered two to one? And don't forget that both families he's supposed to follow blindly can't stop making fun of him and talking about how everyone in his family looks like a weasel, how they're chinless, how ugly his daughters are, etc. And they're planning to take his castle and his bridge by force if he doesn't join them.

Frey really stuck his neck out for the Starks and they screwed him.

13. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Who kills frey and bolton? I don´t care if you spoil it for me, i wanna know how those fuckers die... if they die that is..

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ha ha, there must be a correlation between living in shit holes and over investment in a TV show.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I think GRRM is giving the beautiful people a lesson in the guise of Frey. As noted above everyone has and continues to scorn them. He is known as the "Late Lord Frey" due to showing up late to a battle years ago and it probably also plays off his extreme age at this point. The thing is Walder has outlived all his detractors of the previous generation and is damn well outliving many of this one too. His castle holds a choke point, and IMO, it was stupid of the Tullys to allow a notoriously untrustworthy person to hold them. IMO the Tullys should have disposed of him decades ago by moving him to a less strategic point and putting in someone more trustworthy.

Either way he and his kin have been treated rather shabbily and now they are lashing out like the school nerd that goes postal.