• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked it.

Thought that the casting was terrific, the acting terrific, and the "feel" of the sets and world was spot on. The only casting choice that was different than I imagined was Danaerys, but with the sex scenes, there just was no way they could have cast her as a skinny 14 year old girl. Making her more grown up was a reasonable compromise, I thought. (And I thought she played her part well.)

I wonder if folks that haven't read the books will be able to keep up with all the various plot threads.

I'm already looking forward to next Sunday, and hoping that there will be a season for every one of the books.

fir3fox

Reaction score
It was just alright, hope it gets better.

I'm having a hard time getting over the discrepancy between the Catelyn in my head and the actress they chose but that's just knit picky.

What I really didn't like was...

.... the ending scene w/ Drogo and Dany. I'm not sure how he evolves into her "Sun and Stars" after the ****. In the book it went down with a lot more sensitivity and her eventual consent.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would have been better with a 2 hour initial episode.

There were so many characters and plot threads to introduce, that they really could have used more screen time to get the stage set, so to speak.

As it was, they managed to cram a whole lot of information into the first hour. It felt a little rushed at times, but given the 1 hour constraint, I thought they did a pretty good job.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a lot to like. Casting and sets were awesome.

It did seem a bit like they were advancing all the plots a little too quickly, without enough attention on the characters. Was anyone on the screen for more than 1 or 2 minutes at a time? I hope they find a way to slow it down and give a few people more than cursory treatment.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Completely agree that a two hour opener would have been far superior.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fir3fox
It was just alright, hope it gets better.

I'm having a hard time getting over the discrepancy between the Catelyn in my head and the actress they chose but that's just knit picky.

.... the ending scene w/ Drogo and Dany. I'm not sure how he evolves into her "Sun and Stars" after the ****. In the book it went down with a lot more sensitivity and her eventual consent.

I think they tried to get his compassion across, with wiping off the tears and such. It didn't quite work if you didn't know what was going on, my wife (who hasn't read the books) certainly thought it was a ****.

It is interesting to think about, one imagines that many real life political marriages were not so far off. Getting married off at a young age to a much older man, maybe who doesn't speak the same language. I can see a lot of extremely awkward/unpleasant/marital **** wedding nights in Medieval Europe.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
I think they tried to get his compassion across, with wiping off the tears and such. It didn't quite work if you didn't know what was going on, my wife (who hasn't read the books) certainly thought it was a ****.

It is interesting to think about, one imagines that many real life political marriages were not so far off. Getting married off at a young age to a much older man, maybe who doesn't speak the same language. I can see a lot of extremely awkward/unpleasant/marital **** wedding nights in Medieval Europe.

That scene was my only complaint. By the end, she was supposed to like... put his hands on her breasts or something and finally say yes... not keep crying as he mounts her.

I don't mind that they cut Viserys's nipple twisting though. I do want him to get his crown already

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
One small thing about the Dragon offspring/Drogo thread...seemed to gloss over quite a bit of story prior to the Drogo engagement, no?

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that would have been half the episode.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
One small thing about the Dragon offspring/Drogo thread...seemed to gloss over quite a bit of story prior to the Drogo engagement, no?

Do they really have a choice? There are so many interwoven stories going on, many of which work fine in text but would require either tedious or confusing explanation on screen.

fir3fox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
that would have been half the episode.

Probably true, but they didn't have to make it exactly like the book. They could have cut out that shirtless shave and a hair cut scene and put that time emphasizing that Drogo was more than a mindless humping beast.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Do they really have a choice? There are so many interwoven stories going on, many of which work fine in text but would require either tedious or confusing explanation on screen.

True.

Probably true, but they didn't have to make it exactly like the book. They could have cut out that shirtless shave and a hair cut scene and put that time emphasizing that Drogo was more than a mindless humping beast.

Yeah, that scene was wasted time I thought. Speaking of the Stark lads, anyone else surprised Peter got next to no attention last night while John had tons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads