1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Completely agree that a two hour opener would have been far superior.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It was just alright, hope it gets better.

I'm having a hard time getting over the discrepancy between the Catelyn in my head and the actress they chose but that's just knit picky.

What I really didn't like was...

.... the ending scene w/ Drogo and Dany. I'm not sure how he evolves into her "Sun and Stars" after the rape. In the book it went down with a lot more sensitivity and her eventual consent.

I think they tried to get his compassion across, with wiping off the tears and such. It didn't quite work if you didn't know what was going on, my wife (who hasn't read the books) certainly thought it was a rape.

It is interesting to think about, one imagines that many real life political marriages were not so far off. Getting married off at a young age to a much older man, maybe who doesn't speak the same language. I can see a lot of extremely awkward/unpleasant/marital rape wedding nights in Medieval Europe.

3. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I think they tried to get his compassion across, with wiping off the tears and such. It didn't quite work if you didn't know what was going on, my wife (who hasn't read the books) certainly thought it was a rape.

It is interesting to think about, one imagines that many real life political marriages were not so far off. Getting married off at a young age to a much older man, maybe who doesn't speak the same language. I can see a lot of extremely awkward/unpleasant/marital rape wedding nights in Medieval Europe.

That scene was my only complaint. By the end, she was supposed to like... put his hands on her breasts or something and finally say yes... not keep crying as he mounts her.

I don't mind that they cut Viserys's nipple twisting though. I do want him to get his crown already

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

One small thing about the Dragon offspring/Drogo thread...seemed to gloss over quite a bit of story prior to the Drogo engagement, no?

5. furo

furo Senior member

So I'm guessing you can't find this on hulu or similar sites to watch online...

6. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

What I really didn't like was...

.... the ending scene w/ Drogo and Dany. I'm not sure how he evolves into her "Sun and Stars" after the rape. In the book it went down with a lot more sensitivity and her eventual consent.

that would have been half the episode.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

One small thing about the Dragon offspring/Drogo thread...seemed to gloss over quite a bit of story prior to the Drogo engagement, no?

Do they really have a choice? There are so many interwoven stories going on, many of which work fine in text but would require either tedious or confusing explanation on screen.

8. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

that would have been half the episode.

Probably true, but they didn't have to make it exactly like the book. They could have cut out that shirtless shave and a hair cut scene and put that time emphasizing that Drogo was more than a mindless humping beast.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Do they really have a choice? There are so many interwoven stories going on, many of which work fine in text but would require either tedious or confusing explanation on screen.

True.

Probably true, but they didn't have to make it exactly like the book. They could have cut out that shirtless shave and a hair cut scene and put that time emphasizing that Drogo was more than a mindless humping beast.

Yeah, that scene was wasted time I thought. Speaking of the Stark lads, anyone else surprised Peter got next to no attention last night while John had tons?

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

just saw episode 1, show is great, not sure if i like the ending to episode 1...

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Where was Hodor!!?!?!

12. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Speaking of the Stark lads, anyone else surprised Peter got next to no attention last night while John had tons?

Who is Peter Stark?

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Does this make sense? IMDB says most of the characters are only in 2 episodes each. Except for Bran, Tywin and .... Samwell Tarly? Sam Tarly gets more screentime than Jon Snow? WTF?

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Lulz. How do you rape your wife?

15. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Who is Peter Stark?

I assume he means Robb.

But lets face it, Jon Snow is way cooler than Robb Stark, so who can blame them.

16. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Does this make sense? IMDB says most of the characters are only in 2 episodes each. Except for Bran, Tywin and .... Samwell Tarly?

Sam Tarly gets more screentime than Jon Snow? WTF?

I suspect that's incorrect. Why would Tywin Lannister be in 8 episodes and Ned Stark in 2? The former is only mentioned in the first book.

I assume he means Robb.

But lets face it, Jon Snow is way cooler than Robb Stark, so who can blame them.

Also keep in mind that Jon Snow is much more present in the novel than Robb Stark; Robb doesn't even have his own POV.

17. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Who is Peter Stark?

I assume he means Robb.

This.

19. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

This.

Gotcha. See what I wrote previously.

Also, the show was just renewed for a second season.

20. brimley

brimley Senior member

I think the adaptation is going to be great. I don't think these guys are going to pull a Peter Jackson "let's just cut out the scouring of the shire!". No obnoxious slow motion shots.

I was blown away by the shooting and editing. This is Planet Earth level visuals. Great post processing and the touches of CGI were awesome.

I liked almost all of the casting. Lena Headley as Cersei is super weird to me, but I'm a big fan of hers, so we'll see how it goes. I hope the girl who plays Arya doesn't get incredibly annoying.

Finally, I'm not sure why you guys think the book interpretation of Dany/Drogo is any better. It's still a creepy old GRRM writing a near rape scene about an underaged girl, except in the book, it's the "she actually really wants it" excuse. Gibonious has it right, GRRM is taking inspiration from arranged marriages in Medieval Europe, in particular the War of the Roses.