OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Reading the books helps keep the hundreds of characters straight. There's an appendix with everyone and how they're all related to each other.

HBO has done a remarkable job keeping the characters likeable or at least ambiguous - which I think is deliberate and perhaps the whole point. At this point in the series there isn't a single clear cut villain except for Jeoffrey and that Mountain dude. Maybe Jaime Lannister comes close too.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The guy that got his golden crown was totally unlikeable. The queen is unlikeable but is hot so I don't mind her. Jamie is unlikeable but I like that he's a pretty boy that can whoop ass.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The guy that got his golden crown was totally unlikeable. The queen is unlikeable but is hot so I don't mind her. Jamie is unlikeable but I like that he's a pretty boy that can whoop ass.
    Yeah, I think I misstated my point. I meant that there isn't a clear cut bad guy...at least not yet

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

I haven't seen Ep 6 yet, or gotten that far in the book yet, but after Ep 5, I don't hate the Queen all so much. Her BS seems justified to me w/ all the shit she's gotten from the King in the last 17 years.

Jaime is the closest I can see to being a villain now, but even then, I'm not so sure.

If there is a 'good guy', I guess it's the honorable Ned, but he is just so stupid, stupid, stupid. He shouldn't have given up the Hand position and just assassinated the Mongol wife chick. And his wife is an idiot for taking the dwarf into custody too.

Hopefully in a future novel, Bran has grown up to be an intelligent force to be reckoned with, else I don't see much future for the Starks the way it's shaping up now.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I haven't seen Ep 6 yet, or gotten that far in the book yet, but after Ep 5, I don't hate the Queen all so much. Her BS seems justified to me w/ all the shit she's gotten from the King in the last 17 years.

Jaime is the closest I can see to being a villain now, but even then, I'm not so sure.

If there is a 'good guy', I guess it's the honorable Ned, but he is just so stupid, stupid, stupid. He shouldn't have given up the Hand position and just assassinated the Mongol wife chick. And his wife is an idiot for taking the dwarf into custody too.

Hopefully in a future novel, Bran has grown up to be an intelligent force to be reckoned with, else I don't see much future for the Starks the way it's shaping up now.

The books really give a lot of texture to the characters as they develop. You'll find some very unexpected heroes and villains. Beyond the good/evil side, there's "realm vs house", "law vs practicality" and other conflicts going on all the time.

The TV show has given a little more depth to Cersei (The Queen) than I think she had in the book. She was pretty much 100% "Lannister interests come first" in the book, without any moral restraint about advancing those interests.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

*nod

I'm really impressed w/ this show/novel. I started the novel first, and then started watching the show. Big mistake. I should have read it a long time ago. I keep promising myself not to watch the show until the book is done, but I can't keep myself away from it.

I'm a huge Frank Herbert fanatic and I'm thinking Martin is the Herbert of Fantasy now. Screw Tolkien. heh.

7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

The books really give a lot of texture to the characters as they develop. You'll find some very unexpected heroes and villains. Beyond the good/evil side, there's "realm vs house", "law vs practicality" and other conflicts going on all the time.

The TV show has given a little more depth to Cersei (The Queen) than I think she had in the book. She was pretty much 100% "Lannister interests come first" in the book, without any moral restraint about advancing those interests.

Spoiler for books 1-4
    She gets more developed, or at least more obviously deranged, as the series progresses

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Spoiler for books 1-4
    She gets more developed, or at least more obviously deranged, as the series progresses

I've read all the books, just pre-ordered #5. Woo.

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I like how they are depicting Bronn. Just as I imagined from the books.

10. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Just to be clear, the episode 7 I saw was a 'webisode' -- does that mean it was leaked or offered to certain fans early, in which case it will be rerun next Sunday? In other words, do I have to wait two weeks for the next ep? [​IMG]

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Just to be clear, the episode 7 I saw was a 'webisode' -- does that mean it was leaked or offered to certain fans early, in which case it will be rerun next Sunday?

In other words, do I have to wait two weeks for the next ep? [​IMG]

It was offered a week early, so the one next week will be that same one is my understanding.

12. reezy

reezy Senior member

Where did you watch episode 7?

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Torrents. I would share the link but it's on a private tracker.

14. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

is also available on Demonoid

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yes, and he is 100% badass.

"I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel"