1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Also... It is unclear if some of those storylines are actually going anywhere.

They already have to trim out some subplots to make time... No sense in wasting time on character development that leads to subplots that will be allowed to fizzle out in the books. I think we will see more of that going on as the show progresses (either writing characters out of the show or killing them quickly instead of sending them off on some quest that leads to death)

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

There are about a dozen chapters of Brienne walking. Those could be cut down to a few scenes.

I do hope that they keep most of the Arya story, though.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, yes and no. Part of the richness of the story (for what it's worth, my perspective comes from having read the books and more recently worked my way up to the mid-point of Season 3 of the tv series) comes from the variety of story threads, and the sometimes surprising ways they intersect (or peter out, or snap off entirely). I realize that a lot of cutting has to happen for tv. But the fact that people get invested in characters and subplots that are suddenly killed off literally or figuratively is, I think, part of the essential character of the story.

4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Damn it's gonna suck when after years of training and build-up, GRRM just gives Arya the Omar treatment as thanks for us badgering him

2 people like this.
  5. otc

otc Senior member

I don't want them to cut everything--this story is all about a ton of things going on at once with a ton of characters...

But there's a limit to what can fit in the Show. There's a lot of Brienne walking, Bran carrying, and Dany ?????ing. I don't want them to cut out Samwell's story, and I kind of like that they've kept Gendry around (makes me think he will be important, since this is all new vs the book)...but they've got to do something.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

90% of Mereen. I don't even need to spoiler it, they already got to the city in the show. Basically none of it mattered. Politics in a city that accomplishes nothing for the plot, introducing and killing off characters that don't really matter. zomg save the slaves Dany!

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I hope you all are keeping in my GRRM is a fat lazy fuck and will drop dead before he finishes the series.

3 people like this.
  8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Definitely. Some of the Iron Islands stuff drags on eternally as well.

Somewhere I saw a list where a fan went through and listed only the chapters in AFfC that were really necessary to get the plot and understand what happened to everyone--a sort of abridged version. It was like 60% the length of the full version.

I mean, on one level, I enjoyed reading this stuff because I'm a fan. But let's be honest--if I weren't, I never would have finished AFfC. It's like GRRM got so popular and the book was so delayed that no one wanted to tell him that it needed some serious editing, so they just went with whatever he handed in.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This is my worst nightmare. Apparently he's told the showmakers where everything is going though, so at least we'll find out how it ends on one level.

It wouldn't surprise me if they finish the whole TV show before or concurrently with GRRM publishing the next book.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Again, depends on what it means to "matter". I enjoyed those episodes much more than some of the more "plot-accomplishing" moments, which seemed focused more on exposition than colorful storytelling. Often, arias > recicatives.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I get what you're saying, but this comes across kind of funny. I.E., "only people who like reading this stuff would enjoy reading this stuff." That's a given. The books are a very distinctive set of works with their own vibe. Either you enjoy that or you don't.

And again, I get that you can and can't do when turning it into a tv series is one thing. But if we're talking about the books, the discursive nature, the blind alleys, and the like are part of what makes it what it is. You could cut out a lot of Tolkien, a lot of Victor Hugo, a lot of Tolstoy, a lot of Faulkner, or a lot of Melville if you shaved them down to what is "really necessary to get the plot and understand what happened to everyone". Some people (especially a lot of high school kids being forced to read Moby Dick or War and Peace) might like them better that way. But you'd lose a lot of what makes them what they are. I mean, I get that the process you're describing is the sort of thing a fanboi would happily spend time on rather than dating girls or other wasteful activities. It's kind of cute. But if someone is suggesting that cutting the books down to what's essential to the plot would necessary make them "better", I think that's pretty dubious.

I agree with you that the Iron Islands stuff drags on the show. I enjoyed it in the books, though. YMMV, obviously.

12. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Actually, I'd love for them to cut Sam's storyline. I suspect it will be too important, but it was damn boring, and I love Sam's character.

As for Gendry, they didn't exactly keep him around; they merged him with Edric Storm, Robert's other bastard. Who knows if that's a storyline that will go anywhere, or if it just fades away.

Oh and I fully agree with Pio- GRRM is never going to finish the books. At this point, I don't think he even cares. The show runners know how it all ends, so he can drop dead of a massive coronary with a (mostly) clear conscience.

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i have to think that all this shit is swimming around in GRMMs head, all these characters and their lands and their stories, and he feels compelled to write it down. its a history of a fictional nature if you will, and perhaps he feels it unjust to cut out parts of history because they may lack importance on a grander scheme or might be plain boring.

also, please someone tell me in a spolier that cersei dies, when and how.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

She doesn't die. She lives forever in the heart of fans

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

barf. i hope she gets killed badly.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

She's a milf for sure tho. But :fu: she's supposed to have brilliant blond hair

Emilia Clarke tho. So hot right now

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If in some alternate universe my green frog dumps me and Emma Watson says no I'm going to propose to Emilia Clarke

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

By the way in the alternative universe Emilia says yes

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Poor GRRM: he must write things down.

Poor Stitches: he does not read GRRM.

1 person likes this.
  20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The iron islands is the most interesting setting in the novel, and includes some really great characters, but at the same time I really think he should have left it out. Maybe start another series about the Iron Islands. It just adds a bunch of new characters and another storyline to follow, in a story that is already taking forever getting to the point.