1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

It's mentioned in passing.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In the books it's presented like those folks will basically fuck anything and in whatever combination that suits them.

1 person likes this.
  3. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

And Ser Loras believes she killed Renly in the books, but that seems to be of little interest on the show. At this point in the books she and Jaime should still be in the Riverlands, so their early arrival has changed some plot points. But, when she does arrive Loras accuses her and Jaime intervenes. Eventually he relents. That story line appears to have been dispensed with.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

That was made clear in the books. It wasn't talked about much because he was quick to take offense, real or feigned and make someone bleed, as demonstrated in last night's episode

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

took the quiz 3 times. i am either cersei, jamie, or tyrion. i guess there is something lannister-ey about me.

1 person likes this.
  6. otc

otc Senior member

He decided he would rather act in a new Transporter movie where he will play a young Jason Statham...

1 person likes this.
  7. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Obviously not spoilerish anymore. But, why would Mance have a coordinated attack both North and South of the Wall at the same time? The Northern attack is guaranteed to fail w/out the Southern attack first succeeding and opening the gate. Just makes Mance seem idiotic tactically.

8. in stitches

whats the story with those scar faced cannibal dudes that were talking to/intimidating the red beard guy and jons lover girl?

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

They are Thenns, another faction of wildlings. I believe they were defeated by Mance in the books and that's why they are allies. I don't remember them being cannibals in the books, however.

10. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

They're the Jews of Westros. Must be something about all that gold . . .

3 people like this.
  11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I would have been happy with Daenerys as well. Just not Sansa!
    I took it a second time, answering some of the questions I was on the fence differently, and got Jaime.

12. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Apparently, I am Tyrion. Must be the deep respect I instill in my coworkers.

1 person likes this.
  13. otc

otc Senior member

Don't think the Thenns were cannibals in the books. Just badasses. They are from super far north and consider themselves to be descendants of the first men. They only speak the old language.

In the book I believe Jon climbed the wall with the Thenns--so they would have been together the whole time.
    I don't think they showed as much antagonism towards the other wildlings either. They were good fighters and more disciplined and well equipped than Mance's people. Mance defeated them multiple times and won their allegience...so I am not sure they would really engage in such petty infighting.

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I wonder if anyone would admit to being Theon.

15. in stitches

interesting. in that scene it looked like the wildlings were petrified of them, not the other way around.

16. otc

otc Senior member

I still think Sansa's gonna get awesome. She's not awesome yet (sorry guys, not even in the books), but she has potential.

She has been groomed for what happens after the war ends. She's not useful in a fight, but luckily she has been kept safe in Kings Landing where she is getting a crash course in backstabbing politics (to follow her years of dinner party etiquette, house sigils, and social interaction training). She's at an age where maturity can come quickly, she's not quite there--her giggling suggestion to Tyrion for non murderous revenge was to put poop in people's mattresses--but time passes fairly quickly in the GoT world.

Unlike violence, politics is not something you can wield on your own (e.g. Joffrey's getting sent to bed by Tywin after his "I AM THE KING" hissy fit)...and right now Sansa is very much alone. Without an army or a family or money/spies/information, she has nothing to support her...but when everything shakes out, I bet she ends up with at least one of those things.

And considering who she hangs out with as the books go on, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up well versed in the intrigues of the underdogs.

Depending how things shake out, she could easily be a better Cersei. She has Cersei's noble name, beauty and grace ( and she is *both* a stark and a lannister now), but Cersei basically gets screwed every time she tries to engage in underhanded dealings. She has the tools, but doesn't know how to wield them while keeping herself protected.

Littlefinger, on the other hand, is incredibly successful with his manipulations (but has a glass ceiling tied to his birth). Now he has a protege with the potential to have it all. It is unclear what their time together will bring, but its like a master-class in deceit.

1 person likes this.
  17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Not sure what that has to do with anything. If you read the books the Thenns were certainly considered above and apart from the other free people, better armed, savage fighters, and have an actual society. Still, if you put 100 badasses up against 5k okay soldiers, the outcome is pretty certain, no? Not saying that was the scale but it's obvious all the other free folk combined are a far greater force than just the Thenns.

18. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I guess it would come down to Theon at what point in the story.

I got Tyrion. I was secretly hoping to get Varys... although that's probably only marginally better than being Theon.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

As long as you don't have to answer that you got your junk cut off, Varys is MUCH better, imo.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Previous season question: in the books, i seem to remember that Robb's wife did not accompany him to the Red Wedding and wasn't killed. Please correct me if I'm wrong and sorry to not fact check this beforehand (but they are really long books!)

I wonder now if this will cause some dissonance later on between book and show because there's another queen on the loose in the books that's already dead on the show