1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I doubt he's playing Mace. He's a minor character in the book and probably not more than a bit part in the show. Doran Martell maybe?

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah I don't think you are supposed to think that Cersei is anything but awful, but the idea is that she has reasons for the things she does. In the first couple of books it's easy to see her as an arbitrary villain devoted to evil.

In a sense, she is only what her circumstances have made her. She's been very good at what she does until this point, but after Joffrey dies she goes off the rails. Her chapters here have a lot in common with Catelyn's chapters in the first three books, in the sense that her instincts as a mother to protect her child at all costs lead her to foolish decisions. Her paranoia and desperation take over and she makes a series of gross miscalculations (trusting the Kettleblacks and the idiotic Stokeworths, underestimating the Tyrells) that lead to her downfall. None of this justifies her actions, but you get a sense of where she's coming from.

3. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Not really, just a feeling I get after previously skipping over other surprisingly subtle revelations such as the Rat King story as it related to Wyman Manderly and the three "meat" pies

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Plus the obvious cock envy

5. worakl

worakl Senior member

He's not Mace, Mace has been cast. Roger Ashton-Griffiths.

6. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

no idea, but glad he was cast. i think he is great in sherlock.

also, i have noticed various GoT actors popping up in other roles in various TV shows. most notably varys and kat who now have pretty significant roles in suits. neat to see these people in other roles, when they are already so associated with a particular character, in my mind.

8. TaylaBrewer

TaylaBrewer New Member

He is great in Sherlock, but you never know how much that has to do with writing and how much it has to do with the actor themselves... Based on GoT's great casting so far though, I'm pretty sure he'll nail it; most of the rest of them have.

9. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Bronn is on a pretty decent UK period police show called Ripper Street that is available on Netflix.

1 person likes this.
  10. otc

otc Senior member

Arya?

11. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

12. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

And Bran.

And Rickon.

They're not as multitudinous as the Freys, but the Starks really haven't lost that many, especially considering Eddard was going to out the royal heirs as bastards born of incest and that Robb decided to lead a rebellion (badly).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. scurvyfreedman

FTFY

Rickon is likely the hinge as the others are indisposed right now for various reasons and Sansa has disadvantages in restarting a house because she would really be ceding it to her husband under the laws of the all of the Seven Kingdoms but for Dorne.

1 person likes this.
  14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Son, not husband.

15. scurvyfreedman

Ultimately son, but short term husband. It's not unlike Lady Hornwood upon her husband's death. Whoever married her would add her land to his own. That's why so many suitors asked for her hand. Obviously her situation was a little different because she was not of childbearing age. But, her husband would be Lord Consort and rule in fact. The fact that it was Ramsay only made it a disaster when he seized her and married her under great duress.

Yet, it's true of all noble daughters who are Lady successor to their Lord father.

16. otc

otc Senior member

Hey...he said "last hope" not "hopeless remnant"

17. scurvyfreedman

They've recast Gregor Clegane for a third time. I guess they didn't want Conan Stevens again. He was perfect. 7' 425lbs. The 7'1" Manute Bol built guy wasn't going to cut it. The new guy is shorter, but competes in strongman competitions and has been Iceland's strongest man for 3 consecutive years. 6'9" and competes between 425-440. Should be a fine choice in full plate armor and a facemasked helm. There's only one line that's really important and it can be said by a voiceover actor. It's mostly size and shape that matters most for the Mountain. And, size differential. Conan Stevens was needed versus the Sandor in season 1. Rory McCann is 6"6" himself. The Mountain had to tower over him.

18. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah give this guy a wig and a fake beard and I can see it.

[​IMG]

19. javyn

javyn Senior member

No, Conan Stevens is the best one to play The Mountain. Why they cast that other dude, and then this dude, I have no idea.

20. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Conan had scheduling conflicts due to the Hobbit and wasn't able to reprise the role in Season 2.