OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

I don't recall a Viserys bathtub sex scene in the books. Or the one with Theon. It seems like HBO is adding them in, along with dialogue to explain the backstory stuff - Viserys with the history of the Targaryens and dragons, Theon on the Greyjoy rebellion and his being a hostage/ward of the Starks.

Yeah, HBO is really fond of sexposition

2. WizKid

WizKid New Member

Yes, and he's doing one hell of a job. He's the best part of the show.

Agree.

After hearing great things about the books, I picked up the first of the series and am about 2/3 of the way done with it in the last couple days. Glad I'm finally past the first five episodes (I watched them first before I picked up the book). Surprised at how true to the writers have stayed to the books, minus certain scenes already mentioned.

Tyrion, Jon Snow, and Bran are the POV's I look forward to the most.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

5 or whatever episodes in and I know only NEd Stark and Robert by name.

4. Keroberos

Keroberos Senior member

5 or whatever episodes in and I know only NEd Stark and Robert by name.
    [​IMG]

5. otc

otc Senior member

Don't want to read rest of thread for fear of spoilers...

I have read the first book and am 2/3 done with the second book...If I start watching the show is it going to spoil anything for me?

I am curious both in the sense of running plot points out of order or making references to the future (this happened to me with the first girl with the dragon tattoo movie...the flashbacks spoiled some of the mystery from the later books which I had not finished yet)
    or in the sense of depicting characters in a way that is so different from how they are portrayed in the books. That isn't a huge worry but since there are so many characters that come in and out of the story, many of them are pretty undeveloped (or not yet introduced) at the point where I am in the series.

edit: I didn't think I needed to ask (since I keep hearing about it and people who have read the books seem to like it), but is it actually worth tuning in?

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Don't want to read rest of thread for fear of spoilers...

I have read the first book and am 2/3 done with the second book...If I start watching the show is it going to spoil anything for me?

I am curious both in the sense of running plot points out of order or making references to the future (this happened to me with the first girl with the dragon tattoo movie...the flashbacks spoiled some of the mystery from the later books which I had not finished yet)
    or in the sense of depicting characters in a way that is so different from how they are portrayed in the books. That isn't a huge worry but since there are so many characters that come in and out of the story, many of them are pretty undeveloped (or not yet introduced) at the point where I am in the series.

edit: I didn't think I needed to ask (since I keep hearing about it and people who have read the books seem to like it), but is it actually worth tuning in?

I wouldnt think it would spoil anything. The majority of the threads been pretty good about keeping shit in spoiler tags.

Actually to me the tv series spoiled some stuff but thats because I finished AFFC like 2 years ago or something so I forgot what happened in this book.

TOMORROW TOMORROW

7. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

Watching the show shouldn't be a problem, since it's only supposed to cover the first book. So far, I haven't seen anything that would ruin your reading of the rest of the books. If anything, you need to stop reading this thread, since it's done a lot of mixing discussion of the show with discussion of the books (all of them), though as said, folks have been pretty good with the use of spoiler tags.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Watching the show shouldn't be a problem, since it's only supposed to cover the first book. So far, I haven't seen anything that would ruin your reading of the rest of the books. If anything, you need to stop reading this thread, since it's done a lot of mixing discussion of the show with discussion of the books (all of them), though as said, folks have been pretty good with the use of spoiler tags.

Yeah, I was planning on not reading the thread again after it airs tonight (unless it is something that specifically quotes one of my posts in reply). I looked at the first page or so since somebody mentioned that people were good with spoiler tags but I understand that it is so easy to make some comment about how some sort of decision turns out 3 books later so I shouldn't read anything until I have made it through the body of published literature.

Making it through the books however is gonna take a while :-D I am thinking about adding a short novel in between 2 and 3 just to give myself a break so I don't hit that withdrawal wall when I finish book 4 and don't have anything left to read.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Last weeks episode kept me on my feet... Really exciting, no spoilers though :)

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Time Warner doesn't have HBO GO....are you effing kidding me?! Now I really do have to wait 'til next Sunday. [​IMG]

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

If I don't see at least seven instances of beheadings, incest and gay sex this week I will be sorely disappointed.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Tonight's ep. will feature something happening to Viserys...[​IMG]
    He gets his golden crown!

13. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The little tomboy one is the best character on the show. Her older redhead sister is teh sexy.

14. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Is this the same guy that plays the dwarf?

[​IMG]

Yes, and he is 100% badass.

15. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Her older redhead sister is teh sexy.
    She's 15 IRL [​IMG]