OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

It was a general 'you'. No one's mad at you, least of all me. Whether that makes me tough or not is another question. We went through this shit ENDLESSLY last year. Enough is enough already.

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Yeah, that's probably why I said:

Btw, the answer from Jamie's POV is Selmy, Loras Tyrell, and the Mountain. Even at his advanced age Selmy is the man. Even in the show he faced down a few of the Kingsguard and they were afraid to come at him. Loras really is that good and actually not yet peaked. The Mountain could, and remember this is "could," beat him if he landed a blow. While Jamie is huge and strong and fast the Mountain is also freakishly fast for his size and his strength is beyond compare. A blow from him could end it.

I still think the Red Viper would stand a good chance given his results with the Mountain. A duel can be fought with more than a sword and he is beyond repute with a spear. Even though he poisoned his blade in his fight with the Mountain he was winning at one point. As I said above a lucky hit by the Mountain could be fatal to anyone.

Now, to move to more guys Jamie would not think of. Drogo. Also, another Dayne, Gerold Dayne, The Darkstar.

4. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

i read the books three times and don't remember Jaime praising Loras so much. I recall Loras reputation as being great with the lance and in tourneys and merely very good with the sword, whereas his brother was considered a greater swordsman and even better when dressed in Renly's armor.

The interesting thing is that theatrically swords are great. But, they were used primarily against small folk and unarmored footsoldiers by mounted knights after their initial charge with lance. Facing another main in full armor with a blade is extremely hard. Watch kendo and you'll see why there are only 4 scoring targets. Lots of contacts, but few would get through the armor. Full plate does very well to block swords. And to damage them as well. It's why Robert's war hammer was so dangerous a weapon.

I've seen a few videos depicting how such one-on-one battles would occur and they would frequently be one knight trying to take another to the ground where a can opener attack would be more effective.

5. Piobaire

Wow.

6. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I can't recall any stories about Loras Tyrell being that good with a sword. He (almost) won a tournement, but that was with a lance. Did he do anything else (besides getting beaten by Brienne in a melee)?

Edit: What SFM said, I even read the books a couple of times.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. Piobaire

Please keep in mind the nature of the conjecture. "Could" not "would." If folks do not think Loras "could" beat Jaime that's fine with me. It's a fiction book (that I've read only once) and I've justification for thinking Loras "could" beat Jaime and also given some other names of folks that might fall into that category.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

WHO THE EFF IS THIS DAYNE FAMILY AND WHEN WILL WE SEE THEM?

also, i need another episode. any chance they release it early? like tonight?

9. in stitches

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. worakl

worakl Senior member

11. otc

otc Senior member

The [...illicit...] version I watched had an audio sync issue at the end and the Hold Steady song started while the blade was still in his eye. Thought somebody had been a dick and subbed in some random music at the climax.

I knew what was coming, but pausing it and switching to another source kind of ruined the scene.

12. in stitches

i have to say, jamie seemed surprisingly helpless in that scene. even in captivity he always acted above his captors and was always working an angle. this time, he just seemed to have lost all hope, and he seemed completely surprised about losing his hand. he did not seem to see that, or any real injury, coming at all.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Fair enough. I was reading/posting most of last year and was too lazy to read all the way back.
    "Tough guy" was just winding you up for the "babies" comment. Enjoy the show. :)

14. worakl

worakl Senior member

I thought that was absolutely brilliant, the fear on Briennes face when she realizes that Jaime actually thinks his talk is working, combined with his cockiness.

15. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Here's some info through this point of the show, that has not been included in the show-

Their home is Starfall; the Daynes are the second most prominent family in Dorne.

Ser Arthur Dayne, Kingsguard, given the hereditary title Sword of the Morning, possessed the sword Dawn (comes with the title); described by everyone from Eddard (Ned) Stark, to Jaime, to Barristan as the greatest Kinght they had ever known; both in terms of honor and combat abilities. Slayed the leader of the Kingswood Brotherhood in single combat and knighted Jaime.

Ned and six of his companions fought three members of the Kingsguard including Ser Arthur, who were guarding Lyanna, Ned's sister who was believed to be kidnapped by Crown Prince Rhaegar Targaryen (Dany's brother) leading to Robert's Rebellion. Lyanna was betrothed to Robert.

Ser Arthur, Ned and Howland Reed were the only three remaining at the end of the battle and if not for Reed's intervention, Ned would have been killed by Ser Arthur.

Arthur's sister Ashara Dayne threw herself from her chambers committing suicide after Ned returned Dawn to her. Ashara Dayne spoke to Ned's brother Brandon at the tourney at Harrenhal. She danced with Ned. That was the same tourney in which Prince Rhaegar named Lyanna the tourney's Queen of Love and Beauty over passing over his wife. There's a lot more backstory to the tourney, but it's likely going to be disclosed by several characters later in the show.

Edric (Ned) Dayne, son of Ser Arthur's brother, is a teenage Lord of Starfall and squire to Lord Beric Dondarrion who was sent by Ned Stark (Hand of the King) to bring the Mountain to answer for his crimes in the Riverlands. Edric's aunt and Arthur's other sister is betrothed to Lord Beric. There's a lot more story to Edric; I'm not sure if he's been cast.