1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Robb's marriage in the show was stupid and childish and basically unforgiveable. Robb's marriage in the book might have been stupid maybe a little childish, but it was for a reason that, in the context of the world in which Robb lives, entirely understandable and noble. In any case, it had nothing to do with not wanting to marry a Frey.

2. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

In the book he hooked up pretty much out of grief and is a lot younger than he is in the show.

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

+1. It was discussed here when it happened, but they really changed the tone of that decision in the show and I'm not sure it worked. Robb is supposed to be all about a young man's sense of living up to his father's honor, and they have him willfully throw the marriage contract out for a hot piece. In the book, they just sorta ended up banging and he married her out of honor. Big difference.

Also, Robb would have had his choice of Frey girls, unlike the second time around with his uncle. He wouldn't have had to settle for an ugly one.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that is all good and well. im just saying, they freys were not making it any easier for themselves by leading him to believe he would be stuck with a nasty wife.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

lefty

2 people like this.
  6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

They didn't exactly need the help. It was the Starks. The Frey's would've had the leverage to dictate the terms ("agree to marry whichever daughter I pick or fuck off and good luck"). Nope just another Stark fuck-up (not to say the Frey's response made perfect sense).

7. in stitches

y u hate the starks so bad?

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[quote name="Joffrey" url="/t/212749/official-game-of-thrones-thread/3075#post_6386795"]
    They didn't exactly need the help. It was the Starks. The Frey's would've had the leverage to dictate the terms ("agree to marry whichever daughter I pick or fuck off and good luck"). Nope just another Stark fuck-up (not to say the Frey's response made perfect sense).[/quote]

9 people like this.
  9. in stitches

:laugh:

what will happen to our joffrey, when the show joffrey dies? :tinfoil:

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Jesus, do you mind spoilering that?

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

To perhaps belabor my earlier point, where GRRM is pissing everyone off is that he's spitting in the face of this Hollywood law of nature that "doing the right thing" will be rewarded. Ned lost his head because he tried to crown the right king, not the 'smart' one (and stupidly announcing to Cersei what he was going to do). Robb ate crossbow bolt because he followed his heart and was so principled that he beheaded his strongest bannerman. These are things that are supposed to make you the winner at movie's end.

it also catches up with Jon Snow. It makes me fear for Daenarys as well. GRRM seems to delight in killing off the do-gooders

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Well color me shocked; of course you are.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Ya and keep in mind in the books, Robb is 16. I'd say that makes his mistake kind of excusable. At least in our world.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

I think in the last book Bran and Arya will finally be reunited, but won't realize who they are until after they have banged.

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Not far off here. That's what I am doing. The series from Audible and it does feel like it takes forever to even finish a chapter. You can increase the playback speed, but that never sounds right to me.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You're confusing George R. R. Martin with George Lucas.

3 people like this.
  17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[I'm not sure Jon Snow fits your theory, although I take your point. If "following your heart" (or your ego or whatever is the same as doing the right thing, then fine. But I think it's arguable at best whether the Jon Snow choice I assume you're alluding to is the "principled" choice./SPOILER]

18. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Probably gonna catch hell for this, but am I the only one that hopes Jon Snow is well and truly dead? I love the kid and all, but I'm tried of GRRM pulling this bait and switch guess who isn't really dead shit. Bran and Rickon, Davos, Aegon Targaryen, the Mountain (sort of), at least a couple more I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Everyone loves to bitch about how he's killing off major characters left and right, but no one says shit when somebody pops as not dead after all.

19. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Bran and Rickon was a brutal death, especially the scene where Cat tells Brienne over dinner at Riverrun. It's the nature of the unreliable narrator telling a story via Raven hearsay. It was a perfect setup, though and really made her release of the Kingslayer make sense. Unlike the show where it just made her terrible weak. And, it also made Robb seek comfort in Jeyne Westerling. Plus, we were all setup for it given Eddard's death at the end of the first book. We knew anyone could die at any time.

General rules- if someone is hit in the back of the head with something that could kill them at the end of a chapter, or they are left for dead- they're not dead- Theon, Arya, Sandor Clegane (The Hound is dead, but Sandor is at peace)

If someone who has something to gain and tells you someone else is dead it's probably not true- Theon w/ Bran and Rickon, Manderly w/ Davos, Master of Ships w/ Loras

If you see the person die on page they're dead with the caveat that some supernatural powers/magic can bring them back- Lord of Light, Maesters who dabble in necromancy - Beric Dondarrion, Lady Stoneheart, Robert Strong- wow his character is so stupid

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

your spoiler is not visible without being quoted. the coding is off. :)