OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Dude, quit crying.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

hey guys, thanks for the 411 on the zombies/others/wights.

if theon gets knocked out, and his men take him, unawares of the secret passages, how did they get out? and why did they burn the city, to what end?

so, i was doing some wikipedia reading. and it said that in the books, it was ramsay bolton/snow who sacked winterfell. from the synopsis there, it seemed to be a more sensible story line. idk. please tell me bran and rikon dont get killed

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

they dont. although rikon hasn't been written about for like 4 books (since the fall of winterfell)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

4. in stitches

cool, thanks bro.

5. otc

otc Senior member

Blackfrye dude...calm down

GRRM's cool with them doing this to HIS series (and is an active participant) so quit your bitchin that they are ruining the books. They are still making a great TV show and if you like the books better, you can read them again whenever the fuck you want.

6. in stitches

welp, if my wiki reading was correct, he was in the tv biz before writing the books, and his specific intention was to write books that could conjure up plot lines, characters, images and concepts... that just could not be done on tv. he needed a medium that allowed him to go all out with no restraint, and tv by definition has limitations.

so, i guess in truth it was never really possible for the show to = the books. i think they are trying to do their best in keeping with the books and and making good television.

the again, i could see why a hard core bookie would get frustrated, im just sayin, these changes were inevitable in the tv medium.

7. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Of course the changes were inevitable, if for no reason other than brevity. Some changes do seem odd, I admit, but even as a rabid book-reader I'm mostly okay with them. People just have to realize that the TV show is an adaptation of the books, not the books as a TV show.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It's pretty obvious that they bopped Theon over the head so they could trade him for safe passage out like Robb had promised. I wonder how that turned out...

9. in stitches

if thats the case then who/why was winterfell sacked and burned?

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It's a spoiler.

After the Lannister victory and Robb's dumbass marriage, Roose Bolton's seen the writing on the wall. His guys killed all the Vikings whatever-they're-calleds, burned Winterfell, and blamed it on Theon.

The second part is a big spoiler:

This makes Robb decide to go back north, where he has to back over Frey's bridge. They stop over for dinner and a wedding [a Frey to Cat's brother to make amends] and Frey and Bolton kill Robb, Cat, and pretty much everyone else.

11. in stitches

ahhh, that makes sense, i hope they explain that as the next season progresses, bc right now it seems like it was burned for no reason.

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

Shit like this is why you don't drink and post. smfh

13. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Most unintentional laughs came from Xaro Xhoan Daxos. What a chump.

14. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

If I recall, it was pretty confusing in the book as well. There are details that one misses and then has forgotten the next time it comes up.

Theon was played masterfully in this show. Fantastic casting.

15. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

In the books Roose Boltons bastard sacked Winterfell after killing all the ironborn and killing the force of northmen outside the gates who had come to retake Winterfell from Theon. Boltons bastard made it look as though the ironborn killed the northern forces and sacked Winterfell, and that he rode up after it happened and killed the ironborn. I can't remember exactly why the bastard sacked the city, but I think he did it just bc he could.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012