1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Psychological torture, obv.

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

He told a lot more information when he trusted the boy with the light eyes than he did under physical torture.

That said, these are tv scenes that are completely new, so it's all supposition.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Telegraphing Littlefinger's plot to rescue/kidnap Sansa is going to take a lot of impact from the big post Purple Wedding scene. Not sure why they went this way, because in the book that's such an incredible moment, as you realize that Littlefinger has some kind of borderline supernatural plotting power.

Also, the scene here between Varys and the QoT points away from the Littlefinger/Tyrell plot to kill Joffrey, doesn't it? Not that Varys, Littlefinger or the QoT should be taken at face value.

Interesting that the potential husband here is Loras instead of Willas. I get why they did it. Willas doesn't appear much if at all in the story, and introducing him at this point would be a waste of time. But I liked the way that whole section went in the book, with Sansa getting her hopes up about Loras but still, sadly being willing to accept Willas sight unseen just to be away from the Lannisters.

All that aside, loved the way they did the Astapor scene. Emilia Clarke has some serious limitations as an actress but she looks pretty great in these battle scenes.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i thought he was acting on his own. otherwise why lie to the guards about him escaping and killing the people in the woods.

5. scurvyfreedman

Sansa

I would have liked for Margaery to say "marry my brother" and "your place at Highgarden." Let the audience think it's Ser Loras and then have the QoT reveal that it's the cripple Willas. Lord Garland being written out is probably worse, because he's more of a player militarily.

6. in stitches

if i was her id be ecstatic just to get the fuck out of kings landing. the daily fear of living there for her must be torture.

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Has anybody tried the audio versions of the books?

On the weekends I usually do a couple long slow runs and listening to these could be a nice change of pace.

8. scurvyfreedman

I've heard that they are pretty good. The narrator who did the first three wasn't available for A Feast for Crows so it was someone different. They've recut it with him again because of fan complaints.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

At the cost of four men? They didn't seem to be faking their death...

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Ramsay is a malignant narcissist/sociopath. He doesn't care about those men. He just wants to torture people, and he decided on Theon.

11. scurvyfreedman

It's because he's bastard born. It's in his nature.

12. in stitches

please tell me more about the history of this guy. i did not realize he was any more than a deranged but skilled guard dude.

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

He's the rape baby bastard son of Roose Bolton (the really severe looking dude who's with Robb right now) and he's a complete psychopath. I don't know how far they are going to go in the show but in the novels he tortures and mutilates Theon a bunch until he brainwashes him into a Torgo-like servant he calls Reek, after a weirdo servant that Ramsay had as a child that he used to go around torturing and killing things with. I kind of spoiler'd by mentioning his name but whatever.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Up until this point you don't know much about the bastard. There's is a very confusing bit in the books that they thankfully dropped.

More will be revealed. He lives up to his name.

lefty

15. in stitches

thanks, guys.

munch - how did he end up with the people he is with now, and who exactly are they (who do they work for?)

16. scurvyfreedman

Reek, Reek, it rhymes with freak, sneak, meek...

It is also implied that Bastard Ramsay poisoned Roose Bolton's trueborn son Domeric so that it would be likely for Roose to raise him up to be heir to the Dreadfort.

In ACoK Reek is taken prisoner by Ser Rodrick at Winterfell after he killed and raped a woman with the Bastard of Bolton. The Ironborn gained him as a prisoner when they took Winterfell. He's a horrible individual, rotten inside and out. He is the one who suggests to Theon that he kill the miller's sons (who may ironically be Theon's as he's had sex with the Miller's wife) and burn the bodies pretending them to be Bran and Rickon. Reek explains his affiliation with the Bastard of Bolton (as his pet) and says he can bring a few hundred men to help garrison Winterfell for Theon against Ser Rodrik and his returning forces. The Bastard then attacks Rodrick's men with Bolton men, killing him in an ambush, then enters Winterfell appearing to Theon's friend, only to burn it down, kill the Ironborn and presumably kill Theon. Then, 2000+ pages later you have forgotten who Reek is.

Reek was a real person, adopted by the Bastard as a friend, who really stunk and it couldn't be bathed off of him. The Bastard killed him and adopted his persona after the rape; switching clothes with the real Reek.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  17. otc

otc Senior member

They are his father's men (and, IIRC, since he doesn't have a non-bastard heir, they are sort of his men too). Roose sent his bastard son to go defend/free winterfell, and this is what happens.

18. otc

otc Senior member

Wasn't there some element to the bastard running from someone? He raped/killed someone and was being hunted down, so he took on the persona of Reek and let Reek be killed in his place.

Wasn't that how he ends up in winterfell? While the Starks are still in place, they hunt down the bastard and throw his stinky pet into the cells (except that the bastard is really his stinky pet). When Theon takes over winterfell, he sort of befriends the prisoner who eventually suggests killing the kids at the mill.

19. in stitches

thanks! does robb know they have him? also, theon just told this nut job that the little stark boys were not killed by him. does this news get back to the starks and others?

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Like I said, the whole reek/bastard thing was confusing as hell.

stitch, as far as I can remember I don't think Theon confessed, but then I don't remember the escape scene happening that way.

And stop fucking it up for yourself.

lefty